Winter steel rims

Do you gentlemen ever repaint them , my son all over me to help him out , do I need to sand blast them or can I do the old lazy way of tremclad and done ? 

2 minutes ago, The One said:

Do you gentlemen ever repaint them , my son all over me to help him out , do I need to sand blast them or can I do the old lazy way of tremclad and done ? 

eBay ;)

look for used ones from salt free areas 

or, tire rack often has new steelies if you look at winter packages.  

or, hub caps... 

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

eBay ;)

look for used ones from salt free areas 

or, tire rack often has new steelies if you look at winter packages.  

or, hub caps... 

These things are 2 years old , people in our area all use them and they all look like shit , :bc:

I told him to do some overtime and buy some nice rims , his money is limited he just bought his first home 

To do it correctly, blast and powder coat.  By the time you do that you could probably buy new ones from Ebay or Tire Rack.

For good enough winter beater, I would take the tires off the wheels, wire wheel any severe rust, and wash with this.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-Gal-Concrete-Etch-Metal-Prep-and-Rust-Inhibitor-GKPA30220/100406369  Then prime and paint with something like Tremclad.  

1 minute ago, The One said:

These things are 2 years old , people in our area all use them and they all look like shit , :bc:

I told him to do some overtime and buy some nice rims , his money is limited he just bought his first home 

what kind of vehicle?

I take the wheels on all my nice rides in the garage for the winter... attached to the vehicles they are on.

The pick up and the 2011 X5 get used like they are supposed to in the winter.

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's hubcaps for them, some in black even 

shoot us a picture of the wheels 

I will do he is away this week but he gets back I'll get some pics , do hub caps  actually stay on ? 

:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I take the wheels on all my nice rides in the garage for the winter... attached to the vehicles they are on.

The pick up and the 2011 X5 get used like they are supposed to in the winter.

Like I said he is a young dude just got a new home and works hard to do so so , he doesnt have a thick wallet 

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's more, just go on the bay or Amazon

fuck scraping rust off a $90 steel wheel just to rust again 

No kidding thanks for the info 

:bc:

• Gold Member

I bought my steel wheels 10yrs ago from a junk Saturn. When I got them they had light rust I just cleaned the rust up with a 3m 07466 and quick da with 400 and sprayed them with some sem rattle can I had. It took idk 2hrs to do all the wheels no they weren’t perfect 5footers but they looked good for 2-3 winters then started getting rusty again. I never bothered to redo them just don’t care enough to. Wheel covers be the easiest and probably cheapest way. Even new wheels are gonna rust within a few years with the insane amount of salt they use on the roads.

10 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

We handle hundreds of sets of steel wheels a year.  The ones that guys just brush on rust paint right over the rust look as good at the end of the season as any others.  That’s about as much effort and cost that I would put into those. 

10.dollars and done I am going to do it lol :thumbsup: