if I were retired, I'd honestly have to ask myself if I deserve it.

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01951

Social Security benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments for approximately 70 million Americans will increase by 8.7% in 2023. This is the annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). By law, federal benefits increase when the cost of living rises, as measured by the Department of Labor’s Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) 

no i can't honestly say I don't if it affects future generations. 

suck on that lemon 🍋

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Gold Member

Max amount of income that is taxable is going up huge for 2023.  Somebody making 160k a year they are paying almost $20k into the program.  Everybody putting in deserves every bit they get.  Need to raise the retirement age as everybody is living longer.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/cbb.html

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Let the people 40 or under out of the program and finance the remaining people....

Imagine your financial advisor trying to sell you S.S you would laugh in his face and walk out. 

Most people have zero confidence in their own abilities to deliver.

Been doing my own for over 30 years.

55 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Social Security benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments for approximately 70 million Americans will increase by 8.7% in 2023. This is the annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). By law, federal benefits increase when the cost of living rises, as measured by the Department of Labor’s Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) 

suck on that lemon 🍋

Not even sure where to begin in unpacking such an utterly dumb premise and statement such as this ^^^^^^fuck.

5 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

If you need to rely on SS and are not disabled, or lost your savings because of an unplanned disease you didn't plan your career or savings very well.

That’s a fairly arrogant statement. 

10 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

If you need to rely on SS and are not disabled, or lost your savings because of an unplanned disease you didn't plan your career or savings very well.

You'd be amazed at how many people who couldn't plan their savings through no fault of their own.  What about them?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Your confidence into weird shit crosses the line into science fiction. That’s been shown repeatedly here. 

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

suck on that lemon 🍋

I spend a social security payment every month with absolute impunity. I’m sorry about your luck. 

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Losers like you will always be dependent on others.

Arrogant pricks like you always die in a bed of money being pissed off that they died just like a poor man. Maybe with the exception of fresh diapers. 

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The point wasn't of you could self manage your retirement (see vanguard etc.) 

The point was how pathetic s.s is....imagine if you were talking to your advisor a d he tried to sell you this.

I'm self emoyed so I fund both sides 

* rate of return just above historical inflation

* can't take out a chunk to travel or buy that boat you've dreamed about for 35 years

* if you die your heirs don't get your money the govt does.

Anyone who supports keeping this system is a fucking idiot. Let anyone 40 or under out. They will still he better off in a self directed Ira. 

9 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

You'd be amazed at how many people who couldn't plan their savings through no fault of their own.  What about them?

Then there's plenty of people who are at fault and have nothing saved. I read recently that around 30% of working adults have nothing saved for retirement. O.o

3 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Then there's plenty of people who are at fault and have nothing saved. I read recently that around 30% of working adults have nothing saved for retirement. O.o

Thats true.  They've still had mandatory payroll deductions taken out, usually for 50 years.  The government took it from them, they are obligated to pay it back out at retirement.  Its bad enough that they tax it again.  The issue here isn't the people with nothing saved, its the government for squandering it, and busting open that lock box.   And there's a reason there are COL adjustments made, because most people need them.