Smithsonian opens after using their BILLION dollar pandemic $$$

New Museums

Congress passed legislation in late December 2020 establishing two new museums at the Smithsonian: the National Museum of the American Latino and the Smithsonian American Women’s History Museum. The Smithsonian is in early planning stages for both.

The Budget

The Smithsonian’s federal funding for fiscal year 2021 (Oct. 1, 2020–Sept. 30, 2021) is $1 billion. The Institution is 62% federally funded (a combination of the congressional appropriation and federal grants and contracts).

In addition to the federal contribution, the Smithsonian has trust or non-federal funds, which include contributions from private sources (endowments; donations from individuals, corporations and foundations; and memberships) and revenues from the Smithsonian Enterprises operation (magazines, mail-order catalog, product development, entertainment, shops, restaurants and concessions).

Museum Visitors

The museums were closed March 14, 2020, and remained closed for all but a few weeks in 2020 due to the pandemic. Some of the museums in Washington are scheduled to open in the spring.

Admission to all Smithsonian museums in Washington is free. A visitor’s center is located in the Castle. There were about 22 million visits to the museums and the National Zoo in 2019.

Remember, this is just the small shit.  Think about the other $$$ wasted.

BTW, Ian will cost 50 billion and the government is wondering where it will get that money......But biden just gave ukraine 40 billion at the the drop of a hat.

But. Florida is a state run by a possible Republican candidate for POTUS.  Better to make it hurt a little longer as I am sure democrats view Florida to be almost as much of a threat as Russia.

Priorities of the current administration and the other patriots in Washington.

Edited by racer254
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Ever been there?

That picture is from the Smithsonian Natural history one. Kids loved it. We went over the summer it was the halfway stop for our vacation down south. I was bummed the air and space one was closed when we were there. I went as a kid though on a week field trip.

10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Ever been there?

Yep and they should charge user fees . I can see free school tours etc but start charging those enjoying it .

Imho cool place but the Vatican museum is just as if not more cool and not as stick up the ass 

30 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

That picture is from the Smithsonian Natural history one. Kids loved it. We went over the summer it was the halfway stop for our vacation down south. I was bummed the air and space one was closed when we were there. I went as a kid though on a week field trip.

It’s awesome. Too bad the air and pace museum was closed it was great to see. We have been 2 times for 4 days each time to Washington to see the museums and monuments. 
As a taxpayer I don’t care what it costs to run these venues.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It’s awesome. Too bad the air and pace museum was closed it was great to see. We have been 2 times for 4 days each time to Washington to see the museums and monuments. 
As a taxpayer I don’t care what it costs to run these venues.

It is a awesome place to see we just did a day on each way through but could easily spend a week. We did all the monuments to but the kids are small they don’t really get what the Vietnam wall or ww2 memorial is actually for its just fancy rocks to them so I’d like to go back someday when they are teens. I agree money well spent at least it isn’t being wasted overseas in another country. 

4 hours ago, Anler said:

At least this wasteful spending was done at home 

:thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The preservation of the historical record is an investment every major civilization has seen as a necessity. 

we should build some pyramids... 

oof... that's right, we ended 'black immigration' here.  

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/12/right-wing-textbooks-teach-slavery-black-immigration