Vortex Optics

You'd want it at zero when you sight in at 100 yards or whatever because that's your base then.  Zero is your bullseye and if you have to click it up for a long shot or windage or whatever, pretty easy to remember zero is your home base spot to return it to.

16 minutes ago, mnstang said:

You'd want it at zero when you sight in at 100 yards or whatever because that's your base then.  Zero is your bullseye and if you have to click it up for a long shot or windage or whatever, pretty easy to remember zero is your home base spot to return it to.

Oh ok, got it thanks! 

1 hour ago, Gocky said:

1 more question.  MOA settings can be set back to zero after sighting in. What is the purpose of setting it back to zero after sighting in? Wouldn’t you want to leave it at a certain number setting?

This is the first scope I’ve ever had to purchase, current rifle came with the scope that’s on it and I never really had to mess it with much. 

a GOOD zero stop that is repeatable, will let you increase elevation for distance, but then easily return to a hundred yard zero. it's huge for when you shoot at a lot of different distances and are constantly changing the turrets. i use mine a lot as i like to dial in for distance as opposed to hold over in the reticle

5 minutes ago, Gocky said:

Thanks for the reply Tommcat! Never realized there were so many variables/options to take into consideration. 

yep, the old school thinking of a scope is a scope is a scope, is just worthless if you want to shoot accurately.

the light gathering for example, is a big deal on some of my rifles, not a concern on others. when i'm bear hunting and trying to use every last minute of legal shooting time, it's huge. when i can no longer even see the bait with my bare eyes, i can look through my scope and pick out small details that you need to make a late minute, ethical shot

6 hours ago, Tommcat said:

yep, the old school thinking of a scope is a scope is a scope, is just worthless if you want to shoot accurately.

the light gathering for example, is a big deal on some of my rifles, not a concern on others. when i'm bear hunting and trying to use every last minute of legal shooting time, it's huge. when i can no longer even see the bait with my bare eyes, i can look through my scope and pick out small details that you need to make a late minute, ethical shot

Any experiences with lighted reticles, or a laser aim point?

Looked at digital scope, but would prefer a thermal scope for coyotes....

2 hours ago, ICG said:

Any experiences with lighted reticles, or a laser aim point?

Looked at digital scope, but would prefer a thermal scope for coyotes....

I use illuminated reticles. A black cross hair on a black bear in the almost dark, is tough.

Give the reticle a little red glow and all is well.

For yotes, I'd love thermal, but that's illegal here

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

have you tried anything in the 165-168 grain range to see how the gun likes them?

150 & 180 are the only 2 I’ve tried with this rifle. My father passed it down to me a few years ago because he gave up hunting. Other than hunt and sighting in for the season it doesn’t get much use. 

29 minutes ago, Gocky said:

150 & 180 are the only 2 I’ve tried with this rifle. My father passed it down to me a few years ago because he gave up hunting. Other than hunt and sighting in for the season it doesn’t get much use. 

It all depends on the rfile, barrel length, twist rate, etc. But MOST of my .308 stuff shoots 165 to 168 grain rounds significantly better than 180.

Grab a bunch of different rounds, go to the range and see what it likes to eat.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Palu49 said:

On the topic of scopes does anyone know if there’s ANY stainless scopes still available? Just ordered a savage lightweight storm in 7mm-08 and nobody that I’ve found offers any silver scopes anymore.

Look under Silver for color not stainless. there's a bunch offered through Ebay in a variety of manufacturer's.

Edited by Gocky
  • Thanks 1