Vortex Optics

With hunting season coming up it’s time to upgrade my scope on my .308 currently have a 30 + year old Bushnell. Anybody use Vortex optics? Or have any suggestions? Trying to keep my budget around $200-$350 

I have vortex binos.  I think they are pretty good bang for the buck.  I don't know why but I thought they were made in the USA but after getting them found they are not and the next set I get will be a made in USA brand.  I think they have a good warranty though which is nice.

For scopes I use Leupold, I just like them.  Great quality, great look-I like the gold rings, the scope flip covers are super nice which is pretty big for me.  I'm not an optics geek and I know there are way higher end stuff than I care to have but I know Leupold is very capable and they are a classic great quality scope brand.  I just listened to a hunting podcast with a long range shooter and hearing what they do and their optics was wild.  But I hunt the woods and swamps and I've only shot over a hundred yards once ever.  All my equipment is way more capable than I am as far as that but I don't need to shoot long distance or care to.

I think the podcast person was saying to spend 5x more on your scope than your rifle.  That is the opinion of a long range shooter but I think most somewhat serious riflemen would say 100% of the time to spend more on the glass than the gun.  The last deer rifle I bought I think I spent right about the same for both.  The glass really does make the gun imo.  For your price if you can spend a little more you'll get a lot more.

Edited by mnstang
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mnstang said:

I have vortex binos.  I think they are pretty good bang for the buck.  I don't know why but I thought they were made in the USA but after getting them found they are not and the next set I get will be a made in USA brand.  I think they have a good warranty though which is nice.

For scopes I use Leupold, I just like them.  Great quality, great look-I like the gold rings, the scope flip covers are super nice which is pretty big for me.  I'm not an optics geek and I know there are way higher end stuff than I care to have but I know Leupold is very capable and they are a classic great quality scope brand.  I just listened to a hunting podcast with a long range shooter and hearing what they do and their optics was wild.  But I hunt the woods and swamps and I've only shot over a hundred yards once ever.  All my equipment is way more capable than I am as far as that but I don't need to shoot long distance or care to.

I think the podcast person was saying to spend 5x more on your scope than your rifle.  That is the opinion of a long range shooter but I think most somewhat serious riflemen would say 100% of the time to spend more on the glass than the gun.  The last deer rifle I bought I think I spent right about the same for both.  The glass really does make the gun imo.  For your price if you can spend a little more you'll get a lot more.

Some of the vortex is made here, depending on which line of products.

The others are made offshore, which country again depends on the lineup.

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the Diamondback or the crossfire II  3-9x40  I only hunt the month of November so spending big money on an upgrade doesn't make sense for me. 

Being open minded.... We, are talking about an aluminum tube and ground glass lenses.

St just what point are you paying for hype?

Looked at Vortex scopes at Cabela's .. image looked good indoors ..

Bought a Leupold VX, as there were few scopes in silver and prices were wild. Bought on sale + delivered.

Look through it.... That was my test.

1 hour ago, ICG said:

Being open minded.... We, are talking about an aluminum tube and ground glass lenses.

St just what point are you paying for hype?

Looked at Vortex scopes at Cabela's .. image looked good indoors ..

Bought a Leupold VX, as there were few scopes in silver and prices were wild. Bought on sale + delivered.

Look through it.... That was my test.

There's way more to optics.  People don't pay thousands of dollars because of hype.  Whether or not you can take advantage of the differences is a valid question for anyone.  It's just like anything else high end, it gets expensive and if you're into it you'll likely value the high end but if you're entry level guy then buy the entry level product.  Look at audio stuff.  Or archery.  Or guns.  Or watches.  Or really just about anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

There's way more to optics.  People don't pay thousands of dollars because of hype.  Whether or not you can take advantage of the differences is a valid question for anyone.  It's just like anything else high end, it gets expensive and if you're into it you'll likely value the high end but if you're entry level guy then buy the entry level product.  Look at audio stuff.  Or archery.  Or guns.  Or watches.  Or really just about anything.

agreed 100%

image clarity, eye relief, low light image quality and light gathering, parallax, FFP or second, zero repeatability. even the accuracy of each click of the turret can vary wildly. at long distance, i want 1 click to actually be 1/4 MOA, not somewhere close.

And the budget is,$350 max .....

Zeiss, Leica, Swavorski ....  Aren't in the popular price  budget.  

Looking through a scope will tell a lot t about the image, light , clarity . . .

36 minutes ago, ICG said:

And the budget is,$350 max .....

Zeiss, Leica, Swavorski ....  Aren't in the popular price  budget.  

Looking through a scope will tell a lot t about the image, light , clarity . . .

I wouldn’t be opposed to pay more. I was just wondering if anyone had any input for a scope in that price range. $500ish would really be my max. 

36 minutes ago, Gocky said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to pay more. I was just wondering if anyone had any input for a scope in that price range. $500ish would really be my max. 

I think you can get a vx3 Leupold for around that.

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

agreed 100%

image clarity, eye relief, low light image quality and light gathering, parallax, FFP or second, zero repeatability. even the accuracy of each click of the turret can vary wildly. at long distance, i want 1 click to actually be 1/4 MOA, not somewhere close.

Yes the clicks thing is a big deal for long range shooters.  I've also shot with cheaper scopes where adjusting the up down axis will also move the left/right axis a little so then you're chasing it around a little and that's annoying.  Wouldn't want to be clicking in the field with those scopes.

20 hours ago, Gocky said:

With hunting season coming up it’s time to upgrade my scope on my .308 currently have a 30 + year old Bushnell. Anybody use Vortex optics? Or have any suggestions? Trying to keep my budget around $200-$350 

I  bought my VX from Brownells, fior about 250.... Some time back.

Nice scope, only bought it , due to very limited scopes ,& budget.

Black +;$500 should give you lots of choices.

Edited by ICG

I would recommend Leupold as well all my rifle scopes are 50mm VX2s or 3s. The light gathering and clarity of the better VX series scopes in 50mm is outstanding.

The turn in leupold scope rings are the tits as well but hard to find bases for some guns (I have a lot of savages so it’s hard to get a good base that’ll clear the barrel nut with the 50mm.)

I have a set of Nikon monarch and vortex compact Binos however because my dads leupolds are a pain in the ass to adjust properly.

20 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I would recommend Leupold as well all my rifle scopes are 50mm VX2s or 3s. The light gathering and clarity of the better VX series scopes in 50mm is outstanding.

The turn in leupold scope rings are the tits as well but hard to find bases for some guns (I have a lot of savages so it’s hard to get a good base that’ll clear the barrel nut with the 50mm.)

i used to swear by those too, but my most recent combo required a set of rings with double mounting screws. the leupold rings would not hold the scope in place under recoil. which took me a bit to figure out why my groups sucked, lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

i used to swear by those too, but my most recent combo required a set of rings with double mounting screws. the leupold rings would not hold the scope in place under recoil. which took me a bit to figure out why my groups sucked, lol

I actually just took mine off my stainless 116 savage because the stupid savage actions are so long it’s hard to find a good base and it had a silver scope/rings, stainless gun and a blued base. Went back to good old weaver 2 piece.

58 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I actually just took mine off my stainless 116 savage because the stupid savage actions are so long it’s hard to find a good base and it had a silver scope/rings, stainless gun and a blued base. Went back to good old weaver 2 piece.

the issue for me was a heavy scope, and big recoil. the scope kept moving forward every shot

18 minutes ago, Gocky said:

When talking about parallax (100 yards) Is that the maximum distance for that particular scope or is that a starting distance? 

low end scopes wont have adjustable parallax, and they are usually built to be parallax free at 100 yards. that's probably what they mean by that spec.

1 more question.  MOA settings can be set back to zero after sighting in. What is the purpose of setting it back to zero after sighting in? Wouldn’t you want to leave it at a certain number setting?

This is the first scope I’ve ever had to purchase, current rifle came with the scope that’s on it and I never really had to mess it with much.