Get your winter shoes early this year...

13 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

that's about 88.4% of folks here 

when a manufacturer specs an 'all season ' tire it's the same tire being used on a car in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Montana, Wisconsin and Maine.  

all season does not equal winter 

Again if you know how to drive and are in a awd car . Not needed . If living where roads are just packed snow I can see it but most live in places that salt and plow before the snow even starts . Like I said winter driving is a sport not somthing to fear 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The current Hoe is the first 4wd vehicle I've owned since the 80's which is getting the winters seen at post #1.  I enjoy winter driving, in fact I love it but the enormous difference between true winters and all seasons has more to do with car control than getting going.  the difference between them irl2 stopping and turning is huge.  Once you've driven on true winters you'd likely never run all season tires again.

An AWD or 4wd with true winters... pleasurable.

When was the last time you drove on a shaved ice road? Pretty much 2 times in the last 10 yrs have I been on glare and both were Nebraska in Jan 

Dedicated winter tires for my vehicles as well.  They just make such a difference in control.  Yeah AWD is awesome, but winter tires takes it to another level.

And yes, driving in snow is a BLAST!!  

Edited by Mag6240

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Again if you know how to drive and are in a awd car . Not needed . If living where roads are just packed snow I can see it but most live in places that salt and plow before the snow even starts . Like I said winter driving is a sport not somthing to fear 

It makes a huge difference here my road is basically up a small mountain it’s pretty steep the only way I get up it without studded snow is in reverse and even then barely and your neighbors give ya weird looks 😂. My wife’s awd slips up too if the snow is deeper. Yup it’s only a handful of days a year that you can’t actually make it up easily but definitely worth the few hundo.

• Gold Member
20 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

New winter ❄️ rubber may be hard to get hold of this year.  

Order early, especially you kanucks like @irv, @ArcticCrusherand the others where they're MANDATED for your safety and the safety of others.  :lol:

One of my new sets finally arrived...

IMG_20221005_122141818.jpg

IMG_20221005_122113764.jpg

Yeah but are those 22"s ???

:lol::lol::lol:

14 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

It makes a huge difference here my road is basically up a small mountain it’s pretty steep the only way I get up it without studded snow is in reverse and even then barely and your neighbors give ya weird looks 😂. My wife’s awd slips up too if the snow is deeper. Yup it’s only a handful of days a year that you can’t actually make it up easily but definitely worth the few hundo.

Like stated I get it if you are driving on just snow packed road .

I don't think we can even use studded tires in MN on public roads legaly

• Like 2

• Gold Member

I had good luck with these Kumho's last winter on my 18"s,  they are A/T but have a good snow rating. Drove thru a blizzard last year towing the trailer for 3 hours up to NEK never slipped once. AWD Escalade FTW.

I usually wait till Nov to swap out wheels. 

135FB0C9-0E9D-43DE-AC07-C080D8DE463C.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I had good luck with these Kumho's last winter on my 18"s,  they are A/T but have a good snow rating. Drove thru a blizzard last year towing the trailer for 3 hours up to NEK never slipped once. AWD Escalade FTW.

I usually wait till Nov to swap out wheels. 

135FB0C9-0E9D-43DE-AC07-C080D8DE463C.jpeg

I put Kumhos on my 2015 Ram and they were great

• Like 1

Set of wrangler all seasons on suburban and work truck.great in all conditions and quiet.

had a set of coopers on old Silverado and that thing pulled two place trailer through deepest snow I’ve ever driven in! 
New skins on wife’s trail blazer

just shy of $1k!!!!

2 hours ago, EvilBird said:

no, only douchebags run 22's Vinny

stock size is 265/60/17, these are 245/70/17 which will be mounted on the summer 17's I kept from the 2006.

with a winter tire you actually want to go narrower and with a taller profile.  wife's Venza has 245/50/20's and on occasion snow and ice can build up inside the wheel which in turn is like tossing extra wheel weights on the rim causing severe vibration.  

Edit: Winter wheels pic

IMG_20221006_112755551.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

When was the last time you drove on a shaved ice road? Pretty much 2 times in the last 10 yrs have I been on glare and both were Nebraska in Jan 

which part of I've driven rwd only vehicles in northern Wisconsin for the past 37 years aren't you grasping? 

rwd, limited slip differential, winter tires, a right foot, hands and a brain that work well together = I've never been in an accident or put it in the ditch. 

dad always used to say 4wd just gives people the foolish courage to stuff a vehicle even further into the ditch.  

we are in the mountains. i push snows but not everyone is in for that. some have hell for a driveway and ask for help. nokians, blizzaks, and some of the cooper snows are the answer. i think worst personally was dunlop. went every direction but straight

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

stock size is 265/60/17, these are 245/70/17 which will be mounted on the summer 17's I kept from the 2006.

with a winter tire you actually want to go narrower and with a taller profile.  wife's Venza has 245/50/20's and on occasion snow and ice can build up inside the wheel which in turn is like tossing extra wheel weights on the rim causing severe vibration.  

Better tell GM that douchebags only run 22s New 'Hoes come with em. :lol:

yup well aware skinny is better for mud and snow . 

but Im running 265/65/18

stock was 265/70/17 

C513F8F2-978D-4C5E-9B47-23E84DB07055.thumb.jpeg.f9c95098f614dca1e4944e5800bd83d1.jpeg

Edited by EvilBird

13 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we are in the mountains. i push snows but not everyone is in for that. some have hell for a driveway and ask for help. nokians, blizzaks, and some of the cooper snows are the answer. i think worst personally was dunlop. went every direction but straight

nokian hakkapelliitas are fantastic, few here know of them and they are just a tad more 💰 

I had a set of Dunlop's for a winter on the wife's old Saab, the 'get going' was top notch but they paled in comparison to blizzaks for stopping and cornering. I sold them the following winter and she was back on blizzys.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

Better tell GM that douchebags only run 22s New 'Hoes come with em. :lol:

yup well aware skinny is better for mud and snow . 

but Im running 265/65/18

stock was same as you 265/70/17 

C513F8F2-978D-4C5E-9B47-23E84DB07055.thumb.jpeg.f9c95098f614dca1e4944e5800bd83d1.jpeg

GM does which is stupid... and I can absolutely assure you not everyone enjoys those 22's here in winter, or the sticker shock to replace them. ;) 

see my 'all season tire' post up the page 

yours came with 70 series stock, PoHoe's use 60 series.  at least your bright enough to run the 18's in winter.

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

My snows were.  They still fucking rocked.

Like stated I get it if you are driving on just snow packed road .

I don't think we can even use studded tires in MN on public roads legaly

Didn't stop me in high school.  Was fun as shit to spin those fuckers.

26 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Well, when 21's don't clear your front brakes you have to run 22s.  If you cheap bastards would actually put real brakes on your rigs so they stopped then you'd "get" to run 22's in the winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

GM does which is stupid... and I can absolutely assure you not everyone enjoys those 22's here in winter, or the sticker shock to replace them. ;) 

see my 'all season tire' post up the page 

yours came with 70 series stock, PoHoe's use 60 series.  at least your bright enough to run the 18's in winter.

I have the 17s also still. 

honestly cant tell a difference between the 18s or 17s ride wise. 

I dont run 22s in winter 

well I did one year actually with my old 22s and they were BALD all seasons and it was a white knuckle ride to Island Pond during a storm But that was 10 years ago with a single place :rockernana:

FFAB8A5D-4526-4C05-A8BC-BB144C12ADE9.jpeg

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

My snows were.  They still fucking rocked.

Didn't stop me in high school.  Was fun as shit to spin those fuckers.

Well, when 21's don't clear your front brakes you have to run 22s.  If you cheap bastards would actually put real brakes on your rigs so they stopped then you'd "get" to run 22's in the winter.

shuddup homeboy:lol:

as much as I'd like to do the Brembo upgrade I won't because it would ride like complete ass due to the spring/shock calibrations.  it's stiff... very. 

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

nokian hakkapelliitas are fantastic, few here know of them and they are just a tad more 💰 

I had a set of Dunlop's for a winter on the wife's old Saab, the 'get going' was top notch but they paled in comparison to blizzaks for stopping and cornering. I sold them the following winter and she was back on blizzys.

These are what I have.  Super awesome in the winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

shuddup homeboy:lol:

as much as I'd like to do the Brembo upgrade I won't because it would ride like complete ass due to the spring/shock calibrations.  it's stiff... very. 

Don't do the wilwoods....the lack of dust boots make maintenance a serious BITCH.  Never thought about that until they were installed for a few months and I drove in winter.  As for spring shock, mine rides great but I lowered it mechanically and kept the air ride.