Get your winter shoes early this year...

New winter ❄️ rubber may be hard to get hold of this year.  

Order early, especially you kanucks like @irv, @ArcticCrusherand the others where they're MANDATED for your safety and the safety of others.  :lol:

One of my new sets finally arrived...

IMG_20221005_122141818.jpg

IMG_20221005_122113764.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Order early, especially you kanucks like @irv, @ArcticCrusherand the others where they're MANDATED for your safety and the safety of others.  :lol:

I'm good to go, as is my wife and son, but thanks just the same. :bc:

I've been running Hercules Avalanche's (made by Cooper) for around 5-6 yrs now with still plenty of tread left. My wife also has Cooper's on her car and my son another brand that I can't currently think of on his truck? 

I ran Michelin LTX M&S year round on my 97 Sierra without issue so you will be good to go, especially with those on yours. 

Avalanche.JPG

WP_20171201_14_29_41_Pro.jpg

HPIM0438 (Large).JPG

1 minute ago, irv said:

I'm good to go, as is my wife and son, but thanks just the same. :bc:

I've been running Hercules Avalanche's (made by Cooper) for around 5-6 yrs now with still plenty of tread left. My wife also has Cooper's on her car and my son another brand that I can't currently think of on his truck? 

I ran Michelin LTX M&S year round on my 97 Sierra without issue so you will be good to go, especially with those on yours. 

Avalanche.JPG

WP_20171201_14_29_41_Pro.jpg

HPIM0438 (Large).JPG

Ltx ms2's are fantastic tires

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I also heard something about an upcoming butter shortage.

Filled a portion of the freezer with butter yesterday for the wife.

🧈, rilly?

My Amish baker has some every day she is open.

Good shit.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Ltx ms2's are fantastic tires

I got almost 65k on my last set of ltx 10 ply . Pretty much 20k more than the last set of cooper can't remember what cooper's but they were deff load range D all I buy is D 

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I got almost 65k on my last set of ltx 10 ply . Pretty much 20k more than the last set of cooper can't remember what cooper's but they were deff load range D all I buy is D 

great traction and ride, long lasting when properly rotated and fully siped tread blocks.  

ya only need E load range for 3/4t and above.

you pay for Michelin quality, but it's worth it 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

No load range D tires make towing or hauling any real load much better even in a 1/2 ton . Trust me I know what I am talking about here . I very often haul heavy shit . Every truck I have ever owned has had sumo springs or bags .

You drop a big toy hauler on stock 1/2 ton tires they squish and then float down the road and a pallet of tile or a full load of lumber same shit . 

It is stupid if you buy a truck to do a trucks job then slap lt tread on it . 

I also think the compounds are stronger ie hold up longer on a load range D tire built to take a heavy load and still give a 6ok tread wear warrenty than a LT with a 60k warrenty .

Case in point none of my factory tires ever make 25k . But my 10 plys always make at least 50k

15 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

No load range D tires make towing or hauling any real load much better even in a 1/2 ton . Trust me I know what I am talking about here . I very often haul heavy shit . Every truck I have ever owned has had sumo springs or bags .

You drop a big toy hauler on stock 1/2 ton tires they squish and then float down the road and a pallet of tile or a full load of lumber same shit . 

It is stupid if you buy a truck to do a trucks job then slap lt tread on it . 

I also think the compounds are stronger ie hold up longer on a load range D tire built to take a heavy load and still give a 6ok tread wear warrenty than a LT with a 60k warrenty .

Case in point none of my factory tires ever make 25k . But my 10 plys always make at least 50k

most new 1/2T 'trucks' come with P (passenger) tires for ride quality when driving your leather lined 'truck' to Costco to buy tube socks and tampons. 

most 1/2T 'TRUCK' owners prefer LT (light truck) tires.  

13 minutes ago, Snake said:

Had Blizzak on the old X5 for over 3 years now....

Things wear like iron, ride is ok, and got them from an Alaska Walmart for $128 a tire... free shipping. :lol:

ran blizzaks for years, but have gone primarily to Michelin because they are fully siped all the way to the bottom of the tread blocks and come with a 40k warranty as long as they are ran 'in season'.  blizzys aren't fully siped tread blocks and when they get to 40% of their life you run out of the siping.  the siping is what gives you superior control.  General also makes a good winter tire, and are fully siped.  

regardless, winter ❄️ tires are worth the $ and likely less than your insurance deductible 

• Haha 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

most new 1/2T 'trucks' come with P (passenger) tires for ride quality when driving your leather lined 'truck' to Costco to buy tube socks and tampons. 

ran blizzaks for years, but have gone primarily to Michelin because they are fully siped all the way to the bottom of the tread blocks and come with a 40k warranty as long as they are ran 'in season'.  blizzys aren't fully siped tread blocks and when they get to 40% of their life you run out of the siping.  the siping is what gives you superior control.  General also makes a good winter tire, and are fully siped.  

regardless, winter ❄️ tires are worth the $ and likely less than your insurance deductible 

Because most truck buyers are not men they only buy the truck to boost there man image and think Lt tires are just fine . Sound like any one you know  ?

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Because most truck buyers are not men they only buy the truck to boost there man image and think Lt tires are just fine . Sound like any one you know  ?

sounds like 74% of the population 

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Siping is very important, imo, and something I also look for when purchasing tires. 

Curious, do you guys get an insurance discount for running winter/Snow flaked tires? We do, in Ontario anyways, but they must have the snow flake on them. All seasons don't count. I believe we save roughly $40 dollars a year on each vehicle. 

16 minutes ago, irv said:

Siping is very important, imo, and something I also look for when purchasing tires. 

Curious, do you guys get an insurance discount for running winter/Snow flaked tires? We do, in Ontario anyways, but they must have the snow flake on them. All seasons don't count. I believe we save roughly $40 dollars a year on each vehicle. 

I wish 

Our garage has three stacks of tires... winter and summer.  About to add a fourth stack when the kid gets her license and a car soon. 

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

IMG_20221005_122141818.jpg

IMG_20221005_122113764.jpg

Anyone that lives in snow country and doesn't have dedicated snow tires is a fucking idiot.

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Had Blizzak on the old X5 for over 3 years now....

Things wear like iron, ride is ok, and got them from an Alaska Walmart for $128 a tire... free shipping. :lol:

Only running blizzaks till I find something better. Ride is great and traction is awesome.

30 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Anyone that lives in snow country and doesn't have dedicated snow tires is a fucking idiot.

I live in MN and have never put them on any of my trucks .

Only the wife's cars have had them and only the non awd ones .

Not Even in mountian passes out west yanking trailers in storms have i wished for better tread ..

But then I was raised driving r wd cars with sticks and no snow tires so I see winter driving as fun and look forward to it 

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

I was just talking snow tires with my son today. I bought him a used set when he bought his car 5 years ago. I paid $450 for 4 X-Ice tires on rims. They were around 80%. He was driving an hour to school 4 days a week at the time. With Covid he hasn’t driven much the last couple years but he was thinking about getting another set.

what’s the opinion on age for winters? The treads don’t look bad. I’ll check them for depth on the weekend.

F94BA5B7-723B-48F3-967E-70C5594FE0CC.thumb.jpeg.a859d6f5b306c79db1f4bcc8be8b1215.jpeg

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

that's about 88.4% of folks here 

when a manufacturer specs an 'all season ' tire it's the same tire being used on a car in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Montana, Wisconsin and Maine.  

all season does not equal winter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I was just talking snow tires with my son today. I bought him a used set when he bought his car 5 years ago. I paid $450 for 4 X-Ice tires on rims. They were around 80%. He was driving an hour to school 4 days a week at the time. With Covid he hasn’t driven much the last couple years but he was thinking about getting another set.

what’s the opinion on age for winters? The treads don’t look bad. I’ll check them for depth on the weekend.

F94BA5B7-723B-48F3-967E-70C5594FE0CC.thumb.jpeg.a859d6f5b306c79db1f4bcc8be8b1215.jpeg

you can ride the michelins right to the wear bar and still be safe.  we run the same xices on the wife's venza and they have gone through four winters and have one or two more to go.  big thing is temperature, put them on after Halloween and pull them off around Easter.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

48 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Not Even in mountian passes out west yanking trailers in storms have i wished for better tread ..

But then I was raised driving r wd cars with sticks and no snow tires so I see winter driving as fun and look forward to it 

Read above.

53 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

The current Hoe is the first 4wd vehicle I've owned since the 80's which is getting the winters seen at post #1.  I enjoy winter driving, in fact I love it but the enormous difference between true winters and all seasons has more to do with car control than getting going.  the difference between them irl2 stopping and turning is huge.  Once you've driven on true winters you'd likely never run all season tires again.

An AWD or 4wd with true winters... pleasurable.