Is SKI-DOO The Undisputed King of Innovation?

I “ believe “ the Doo 850 turbo makes full boost at sea level for 23, they just haven’t mounted it in a “ trail “ sled, yet. BRP is just being more cautious and methodical in the way they roll it out to ensure durability. 

I’m surprised they didn’t mention DI, 14 MYs later and they’re still the only one that has it. 

• Like 3

I did a little research. For 23 it’s called the 850 Turbo R and it makes “ some “ boost from sea level on up. (1.5 to 6.5 PSI) It’s 180 HP from sea level to 8K feet. This compared to the non R 21 & 22 turbos that made (0 to 4 PSI) and were rated at 165 HP from sea level to 8K feet. I bet there’s a 24 Mach 1 with the new R version to go head to head with Poo’s 850 turbo trail sled. 

• Like 1

And I don’t get all the hoopla about Poo’s new 900. It’s only offered in the nose bleed models and it’s NA. The turbo 850s will be stronger so what’s the point ??? 

Speaking of Poo I was shocked when they didn’t release their “ me to “ version of semi active suspension for 23. Guess it wasn’t ready in time so 24 it is.

Are they ever going to take the lead on something and release it before Doo does? I mean besides some fancy hand warmers and a fancy gauge I can’t think of anything else in recent history. Maybe the hay bailer but that didn’t exactly pan out.

I'm going with Skidoo because they figured out how to sell a 2s snowmobile without a recoil as standard and make you purchase it as an accessory.  

that's innovative

plus, the other $1609 in accessories that should come standard.

and the Doo dwarves just lap it up 

Polaris wins snow check build options hands down and no contest.

Cat gets an honorable mention for milking the Procross for more than a decade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Frankly- I think Cat and Yamaha deserve some credit. 

Snowmobiling has always been about performance. From a performance perspective, look at the impact of the Thundercat/ZR9000/Sidewinder. They remain the performance benchmark that everyone is still striving to attain. 

Ski-Doo's innovation seems to revolve around reliability, refinement, and rider convenience. 

Polaris seems to be trying the hardest, but their innovation falls just short.... What Polaris has achieved, is helping to drive innovation with the other manufacturers.....competition is a very good thing. 

I tend to agree 100% on the Polaris 7S. I thought the 7S was dumber than hell..... until my XC was delayed, and I bought a VR-1 instead. The 7S is truely innovation. I completely changed my tune once I started digging in to the functionality of the 7S. 

The 7S is an example of where Ski-Doo started the trend, but Polaris took it to a whole other level. 

The Cat people don't seem to need such frivolous luxuries...

261307459_1237811870059395_1757691310673739564_n.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, nacapster said:

And I don’t get all the hoopla about Poo’s new 900. It’s only offered in the nose bleed models and it’s NA. The turbo 850s will be stronger so what’s the point ???

Lighter and instant throttle response is what I've read which is more for the guys that like to play in the trees and more technical shit than going straight up and turning out.Supposedly much quicker off the hop than the turbo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HSR said:

Lighter and instant throttle response is what I've read which is more for the guys that like to play in the trees and more technical shit than going straight up and turning out.Supposedly much quicker off the hop than the turbo.

Gym is eager

• Haha 2

On 9/29/2022 at 6:55 PM, oldslowsledder said:

mph.thumb.jpg.47381e7cc6ed44e65632a0d517db0286.jpg

kph.thumb.jpg.7bb207f69e137cebe11d00fc6a3146db.jpg

Slide rail suspension

Independent fr a arm suspension 

Efi

Battery less efi

First turbo production sled 

First 160 hp production sled 

The M litteraly changed the sport 

The crossfire aka short track M  well look around at what sells still 

The rev was a sweet innovation but everything after was just gimmick shit and revisions on the chassis 

Polaris did not do much of anything till about 11 with the rmk 

Now they are leading the pack for sure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:56 PM, 800renegaderider said:

What has Polaris been innovative on coming out with another 900 engine or turbo 2s that doo already did isn’t exactly innovative. Ski-doo on the other hand has had some real innovations over the years the biggest imo being rider forward design that changed the entire sport forever. Second being e-start only removing unnecessary backup pull ropes 😉.

I will give doo props on the shot . It was the #1 selling feature on my summit . Would not have bought it if it was just another battery and starter slapped in adding 20 lbs .

Still think it is twitchy crossing a track on a side hill but use to that now 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I tend to agree 100% on the Polaris 7S. I thought the 7S was dumber than hell..... until my XC was delayed, and I bought a VR-1 instead. The 7S is truely innovation. I completely changed my tune once I started digging in to the functionality of the 7S. 

The 7S is an example of where Ski-Doo started the trend, but Polaris took it to a whole other level. 

The Cat people don't seem to need such frivolous luxuries...

261307459_1237811870059395_1757691310673739564_n.jpg

That's a nice photo of @ZR6000RR

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Ski-Doo probably has the least amount of innovation in the past 10 years.
Polaris released the Pro-Ride, Cat released the Alpha 1, what did Ski-Doo release? A fancy gauge pod?
Don't get me wrong I like BRP/Can-Am/Ski-Doo/Sea-Doo but IMO they are and have always been good, average products.

Not great at anything but good overall.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, stinkipinki said:

I would say Ski-Doo probably has the least amount of innovation in the past 10 years.
Polaris released the Pro-Ride, Cat released the Alpha 1, what did Ski-Doo release? A fancy gauge pod?
Don't get me wrong I like BRP/Can-Am/Ski-Doo/Sea-Doo but IMO they are and have always been good, average products.

Not great at anything but good overall.

Smart shocks, shot start, linq accessories, first production 2 stroke turbo, Rmotion, best fit and finish, widest 4 stroke range and models in general, etc., lets not kid ourselves they've done a little more than that.  There's a reason they still hold #1 market share.

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 8:52 AM, Deephaven said:

Not relevant.  Talking about an innovation leader the top innovation can't be 20 years ago.  

It can if it is now the norm on every modern sled.  Ie independent suspension rider forward chassis efi slid rail suspension 

Every one of those are now mandatory and progressed the sport way more than some fucking turbo ot adjustable carbide