Stop ride update 9/27/22

Feeling a bit of deja vu right now, hearing the comment about "options" when a delivery date is made available (keep it, take an in-stock unit if it's available & get the snowcheck promotion, or give it up).  All because of 30'ish sleds that had shitty gas in them :wall:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, polaris7541 said:

dose it sound like a new fuel pump is the fix

probably for brand new sleds 

my guess is rewiring existing customers pumps 

230k sleds x $100 fuel pump module = $23m

227k sleds x $10 fuel pump module wire harness = $2.3m  

I'm just tossing out hypothetical parts prices without labor charges 

up date, topped tank off, tried to start my sled, normally start's 3 rd pull.  I get a big flash under the sled , a flame, sled lifts off rollers , now wont start ,, I guess the sled must have seen the recall  notice  ran in the house to fetch some dogs  to cook..               up date pretty sure I must have a leaky injector exhaust is full of fuel I'm gonna pull the plugs later to let it dry out.. then go fishing for the problem, 

Edited by polaris7541
  • Sad 1

Exactly- I know there is an issue. I am not going to be the first in line to get my sled fixed by a high school student. And I am going to ride this winter. And, there is little info related to the fix and timing of it.

I'm tone deaf ..... at least for now...... 

34 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Exactly- I know there is an issue. I am not going to be the first in line to get my sled fixed by a high school student. And I am going to ride this winter. And, there is little info related to the fix and timing of it.

I'm tone deaf ..... at least for now...... 

If I didn't have my XCR sold, I'd be doing the same ... riding it until the '23 comes home.  This is 100% a CYA by Polaris and now we're all paying for it because they have to be cautious given their past history with fuel/fire issues.  Do the math on this ... 30 reported incidents over 230K sleds.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bontz said:

If I didn't have my XCR sold, I'd be doing the same ... riding it until the '23 comes home.  This is 100% a CYA by Polaris and now we're all paying for it because they have to be cautious given their past history with fuel/fire issues.  Do the math on this ... 30 reported incidents over 230K sleds.

Think your going to see a priority on new sleds to be updated -vs- used sleds.  I've got well over 30k miles on the effected sleds without an issue.  I'll still have a 2022 XCR with a 23 VR1 on order and I have no problem riding the 2022 before it's upgraded.

• Like 2

I keep coming back to the fact that many dealers are running at capacity already this time of year in the shop. Now to add this to a dealer's workload? Be realistic.....they'll eventually work through sleds with the update, but it isn't happening anytime soon for most people.....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ICG said:

Wild card.....do you believe insurance carriers will deny coverage for fire losses, while this Stop Ride Recall is being resolved?

You'd have to think insurance companies wouldn't offer compensation for fire damage if a customer is out using their machine when there is a stop ride notice issued from the manufacturer.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, mnstang said:

You'd have to think insurance companies wouldn't offer compensation for fire damage if a customer is out using their machine when there is a stop ride notice issued from the manufacturer.

My insurance agent lives just down the road from me.  I asked if (as one member claimed happened) if he notified his clients when there was a recall or stop use for vehicles or household applications.  He said he would have to hire two more office assistants and that would be their only job.  There's recalls and stop use notices almost weekly that most people don't even know about.

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

My insurance agent lives just down the road from me.  I asked if (as one member claimed happened) if he notified his clients when there was a recall or stop use for vehicles or household applications.  He said he would have to hire two more office assistants and that would be their only job.  There's recalls and stop use notices almost weekly that most people don't even know about.

Probably, it's not his job to notify the consumers of all that stuff though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Waiting for the call to bring my sled in. As long as it is before I start grooming our trails, I'll be happy to bring it in. After that? Depends on the timing.... My dealer says he has 600 sleds to do. My '22 is on the list towards the top. He says it depends on how quickly they get kits (which are trickling in). 

What recall notices.....  :ashamed:

One dealer has SIX HUNDRED sleds to do?  Holy sh*t!

I heard it was hundreds of thousands of sleds, but expecting a small shop to do hundreds of sleds before the riding season gets started is unreal.  

Is it only oxygenated fuel that causes a problem, or can non-oxy do it, too?  For some reason, I thought it was the ethanol in the fuel that caused a problem.  Hopefully, for all Polaris owners, this gets sorted out soon.

I keep my sleds nearly full of non-oxy all summer, and start them every 2-3 weeks all summer.  

I think what they are finding is, exposed metal in the tank can cause a possible arching situation, so they are replacing all that metal hose crimping.  At least that's my take on it, and keeping the fuel level above all that hardware, prevents the static charge inside the tank.  

Fired up my XCR on Saturday ... my buddy who's buying it from me knows it's on the "Stop Ride" list but he'll ride it just like normal this season.  I do have it on the list and hoping when my '23 shoes up they can schedule it to be fixed the same day & I can bring both sleds home.