Ian is about ready to mess some shit up

BOHICA

My brother lives in Safety Harbor, his house sits 25' above sea level there.  But 90% around them are less than 10' - Flooding will be BAD if it continues as it looks, but his main concern is wind.  They got the hell out of there anyway...

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I was surprised to hear Tampa hasn't been hit by a bad one in 100 years and only 2 since 1848. 

Edited by Highmark

29 minutes ago, f7ben said:

My uncle is 10 minutes from the villages, he’s worried about water levels on his lake. He can’t get flood insurance so he could end up fucked. 

We have a good friend who lives in Naples and she told us that the gulf side doesnt get alot of hurricane damage. Like 1 or 2 years later Irma totaled her house to the ground. Took like 5 years to get it rebuilt from the ground up. One of the hazards of living in Florida. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

We have a good friend who lives in Naples and she told us that the gulf side doesnt get alot of hurricane damage. Like 1 or 2 years later Irma totaled her house to the ground. Took like 5 years to get it rebuilt from the ground up. One of the hazards of living in Florida. 

Yup , pretty brutal. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Yup, they've been really lucky for quite some time.  No boarding up for my brother as he was on the response team at Raymond James, so he said he hopes his Ring camera's don't show wind blowing through the house.  There are A LOT of big Oak Trees in Safety Harbor, and he has 4 in his postage stamp sized yard.... 

2 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Yup, they've been really lucky for quite some time.  No boarding up for my brother as he was on the response team at Raymond James, so he said he hopes his Ring camera's don't show wind blowing through the house.  There are A LOT of big Oak Trees in Safety Harbor, and he has 4 in his postage stamp sized yard.... 

Her place is in Isles of Capri which is on the water (ocean) which is what most people want but that is the most at risk. Personally I think you are better off with a condo and storm shutters a couple floors off the ground. 

how about on the islands? no elevation and no where to run from it. paradise when all is good but when it goes the other way look out. but we have friends in oklahoma that deal with big hail, tornadoes, and ridiculous temps. her sister has rebuilt twice form tornadoes. no thanks on all of it

25 minutes ago, Anler said:

Her place is in Isles of Capri which is on the water (ocean) which is what most people want but that is the most at risk. Personally I think you are better off with a condo and storm shutters a couple floors off the ground. 

Yup - Safety Harbor is called that for that very reason, most of the town is elevated.  My sister-in-law wanted lake/ocean front, and my brother said NO F'N WAY.  They've experienced flooding in Tampa without getting a direct hit from a hurricane, and she's knows it was the right choice - now for the wind this time.... Fingers crossed, but not looking good.

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Just listening to DeSantis talk about the storm and this came to mind. It's hard to imagine this clown was the leader of this country.

Screenshot_20220927_071706.jpg

where's my sharpie?  :lol:

the southeast, raising insurance rates and sucking up disaster relief money since 1776

thanks boomers 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Safety Harbor was hammered in 1921.   

• Gold Member
55 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I get the beauty of living near the ocean, but damn. What life changer. Hopefully it leaves alone any oil platforms or the oil companies will use that as another excuse. 

They are already shutdown 😂 

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Oil-Majors-Shut-In-Gulf-Of-Mexico-Production-As-Hurricane-Ian-Advances.html