The price of lumber is sickening

1 hour ago, GreenStreak said:

I'm just building a roof to put my boat under for winter 4x6x16 treated posts are 43 bucks each

Would have been north of 100 last yr 

For a 4x6 lineal not bad 

Now that almost is to cheep . What sort of treating is it ? If it is just ground contact prob not good enough for a real long term post shead type stuff 

• Gold Member

Just hung up with my concrete guy a minute ago.  We are building a new shop.  80x150 w/20' at the eves.  Not near big enough but all we felt we could afford.  Said shortage of fly ash is gonna send crete over 170 a yard.  If we get going its around 140 right now....  Oh and this building sits on a 4 ft concrete wall that is above grade.  So a shit load of crete....

Edited by poopooforme
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, poopooforme said:

Just hung up with my concrete guy a minute ago.  We are building a new shop.  80x150 w/20' at the eves.  Not near big enough but all we felt we could afford.  Said shortage of fly ash is gonna send crete over 170 a yard.  If we get going its around 140 right now....  Oh and this building sits on a 4 ft concrete wall that is above grade.  So a shit load of crete....

We've had concrete shortages here for a while now and the concrete companies are giving priority to the builders and road construction companies. If you arent a steady client good luck getting any. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

It was over $300 for enough 1/2” marine plywood to finish the van build’s floor. Crazy. 

3/4 sheets were around $100/ sheet here in Can. The Irving mill in NB has alot of lumber stockpiled all over the place. Everytime we go by there I get pissed off and mumble sell some of it you motherfkrs

4 minutes ago, smokin george said:

3/4 sheets were around $100/ sheet here in Can. The Irving mill in NB has alot of lumber stockpiled all over the place. Everytime we go by there I get pissed off and mumble sell some of it you motherfkrs

I figure it was money spent for piece of mind. No voids or checks for rot to grow. It’s also super flat and pre sanded. That’s a time saver. 

7 hours ago, Anler said:

We've had concrete shortages here for a while now and the concrete companies are giving priority to the builders and road construction companies. If you arent a steady client good luck getting any. 

Yup. The construction business is all sorts of screwed up right now. Shortages of materials, labor, trucking, available subcontractors etc.  Projects are running past completion dates with no hope on the immediate horizon.  We quit bidding for 2022 work at the beginning of September, earliest ever.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, Anler said:

I've been dealing with the same concrete company for 20 years. Most of the summer I've had to schedule my loads 4-5 days in advance and only take afternoon spots.

The small concrete plants get their supplies from the larger ones and they have had to shut down for a couple days here and there as they ran out.

Always a new challenge it seems.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I've been dealing with the same concrete company for 20 years. Most of the summer I've had to schedule my loads 4-5 days in advance and only take afternoon spots.

The small concrete plants get their supplies from the larger ones and they have had to shut down for a couple days here and there as they ran out.

Always a new challenge it seems.

Weird. I feel like I have gone my whole life without concrete shortages. But now...

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Weird. I feel like I have gone my whole life without concrete shortages. But now...

Back around 87-88 I was working for my dad. He'd order concrete for a noon delivery, then go to a pay phone at 1230 to find out when it was coming. It would show up at 230. Lots of construction in the area everyone was busy.

Same thing here 4-5 years ago. They were building a new Light Rail train system for public transit. I couldn't hire dump trucks or get concrete delivered.

Now I can't hire dump trucks because they don't have drivers. The guy down the road has 24 trucks and on any given day there are 10 sitting.