Trail Closure Wakefield Trail 2

4 minutes ago, favoritos said:

They actually did a nice job keeping the trail away from any areas that would have had pedestrians or skiers.  At Indianhead, it does cross two access road going to the ski area parking.  That section is also close to a few condos that overlook the upper lot.  It is the latest section added to the reroute and winds like a bugger through the woods between Wakefield and Indianhead.  I'm guessing this is the portion that is raising the stink.

The portion around Blackjack runs on the ROW of a road going to the lower lodge.  That section has been in place a long long time. 

I completely forgot about the clubs groomer barn.  They run most of the stuff on that end out of a facility in Bessemer.  The trail closure would definitely impact the operations.  Sure, they can run along the roads.  Oddly enough, there are not many E - W through roads in that area.  Some of the old mine pits are big buggers and I'm not sure who controls that property.  Running equipment along Hwy. 2 would not be fun.  I would not be surprised if they ran equipment on the old grade trail.  It is the most direct route and is sized for equipment.

Sounds like you have good insight on this.  Keep us posted and let us know if there's anything constructive we could do.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

Shannon Schroeder 

A statement from GRTA Club President Steve Hamilton regarding the Big Snow Resort trail loss:

"The Gogebic Range Trail Authority is a proud supporter of private property owner’s rights first and foremost.  For the past 7 years this motorized trail functioned in beautiful harmony through these two ski hills beloved by all who visited them.  While it’s utterly heart breaking for us, we warmly respect Big Snow Resort’s new direction to end motorized tourism on their property.  However, we wholly refute Mr. Skinner’s claim of egregious liability and insufficient or no documentation, that is entirely false.  Mr. Skinner has asserted that “A trail was built across the resort without a written use agreement or adequate liability plan.”  The GRTA has held a liability policy and trail permits (land use agreement) for Big Snow Resort since the inception of the trail.  The State of Michigan Department of Natural Resources wouldn’t allow GRTA to operate on their lands if we didn’t have liability coverage in place.  It’s the absolute cornerstone of our program – landowner protection!  The snowbelt region of the Midwest would not have the proliferation of snowmobile trails in this modern-day litigious society if egregious liability for landowners existed.  Landowner protections in Michigan are stout and the snowmobile trail program hasn’t had a claim in 30 years.  
Currently GRTA requests Snowriver to afford us a timetable for our departure – April 2023 – to find a solution off their property.  However, there is currently no known reroute and not for a lack of trying.  The MDNR granted $30,000 in 2018 to find a route for Snowmobile Trail 2 and the new Iron Belle Trail through this area.  After 4 years the work has turned up no viable options.  The only option to connect the ultra-critical snowmobile trail infrastructure was through Big Snow Resort.  The fallout to area businesses from an abrupt shutdown will be devastating and everyone must do everything to prevent that from happening.  We sincerely wish the circumstances of the trail were different and we were able to simply pick it up and move it.  However, local landowner politics and exceptionally dynamic terrain make any solution outside of Big Snow Resort a multi-million dollar project.  We look forward to constructive talks with the new ownership to avert a devastating trail shutdown."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate @Jimmy Snacks, for grabbing and posting that statement from the club.

The issues and statements around liability have been as stated for quite some time with all trails that fall under the DNR umbrella.

Skinner was blowing smoke with his statements.  I'm surprised he even bothered making excuses.  The guy is trying to drum up support from his cronies and the community.  The sad part is that some people will fall for his line of B.S.  I guess that would be his excuse for making excuses.

The saddest part of this whole deal is that money talks.  Skinner can throw out BS until the sun doesn't shine and it won't stop him from wrecking one of the last trail options.  It seems crazy that local businesses are not getting peeved.  They already know what has happened with less snowmobiles.  Turning those numbers down to zero would be a real disaster.

There is also the other side of money talk.  Snowmobilers spend a lot of money.  We support a lot of businesses.  Where and how we spend can be a useful tool.

We are pretty lucky that Steve Hamilton is involved.  He is one of the main reasons this trail even existed after the original trail was lost with the previous club management.  Steve is a doer and he has done a lot of work to get this trail.  He also has a lot more class than Skinner.  He sticks to the facts and speaks the truth.  We could use a little more of that kind of character.

It's a tough deal all around.  Terrain is a factor.  There is a reason why the grade and highway run right next to each other through that stretch.  Next time you're on that highway through there, look left and look right.  That is also why there are three ski hills and Copper Peak are right next to each other in that stretch.  The area is beautiful to see if you can get there.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, X2700 said:

Back in the day most land was owned by feds or lumber companies.

now it’s being sold to private individuals!

Next 10-15 years going to be tough for our sport.

maybe some kind of tax break to allow trails to go through?

Those of you who are involved in your local club or a club in general, think the average age of the active members is below 50?  40?

Our local club has a fairly active mid-20's to mid-30's group, which is pretty great for us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Those of you who are involved in your local club or a club in general, think the average age of the active members is below 50?  40?

Our local club has a fairly active mid-20's to mid-30's group, which is pretty great for us.

That is great for you guys.  The average age of active members in our club is 45+.  A number of active members don't even ride anymore and just don't want to see their work over the years go to waste

11 minutes ago, Doug said:

That is great for you guys.  The average age of active members in our club is 45+.  A number of active members don't even ride anymore and just don't want to see their work over the years go to waste

Two of the issues we have is we are not a sledding destination and we are a very spread out club in terms of total area.  If we run a groomer from the shed to the furthest point, it is a all day round trip, and it isn't a loop.  

11 hours ago, Doug said:

Wow - our club is over 100 members, and I'd be shocked if average age is below 50.

Edited by Mag6240

On 9/22/2022 at 6:37 AM, Doug said:

Got a response from the resort that the city is coordinating a meeting for next week with the City, club, resort and DNR.  Helpfully something gets resolved.

I just passed this along to the Gogebic Range Trail Authority. 

306662293_10159925321752752_693289453997982395_n.jpg

39 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I just passed this along to the Gogebic Range Trail Authority. 

306662293_10159925321752752_693289453997982395_n.jpg

Ski Brule is a nice place and 15 miles away from us by road and 20 by trail up Nth.  The club even marks and maintains a trail into Ski Brule.  I'm sure they would have checked into the liability of having a trail on their land.

Just now, Doug said:

Ski Brule is a nice place and 15 miles away from us by road and 20 by trail up Nth.  The club even marks and maintains a trail into Ski Brule.  I'm sure they would have checked into the liability of having a trail on their land.

They can work together, all it takes is a little effort. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badger** said:

They can work together, all it takes is a little effort. 

They let sleds into Lutsen, but that’s a spur trail, not a major corridor like this one by Wakefield.  Probably a big reason why it’s not “safe”.

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

They let sleds into Lutsen, but that’s a spur trail, not a major corridor like this one by Wakefield.  Probably a big reason why it’s not “safe”.

The previous owner of the ski hill is from here in town.  He's been involved in a number of larger development projects including along the river front and DNR involvement.  He's a very detailed person.  It would really surprise me if he didn't do his dodiligence for liability and insurance before he let the trail go though.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

C9A271DF-0162-4729-8B61-FC8023C69DA8.thumb.png.f64892ad5b6fd2b6e8e83f8a15d9f2bc.png

Ignorant fucks that don't give a shit about anyone but themselves will kill the sport of trail riding soon enough!

"Hey I paid my $50 trail permit so I can do as I please!!!!" idiots

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Ignorant fucks that don't give a shit about anyone but themselves will kill the sport of trail riding soon enough!

"Hey I paid my $50 trail permit so I can do as I please!!!!" idiots

snowmobilers* will bring an end to trail riding long before global warming does.

*may or may not apply to all 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

C9A271DF-0162-4729-8B61-FC8023C69DA8.thumb.png.f64892ad5b6fd2b6e8e83f8a15d9f2bc.png

If that section of 12/17 is part of the main RR bed to Hurley that will be bad if another route around can't be found.   Trail 8 loop to the East is nice but almost all roads and needs better snow conditions.   12 west closes a bunch of stuff as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, awful knawful said:

Cans and riding off trail will kill this sport.

Alot of private farm land make up our trails. Why do a few have to ruin it for the rest?

imo, it's rarely the 'locals' that fuck it up... entitled out of towners for the most part. 

plus, big city folks buying up the countryside 'don't get it' 

grateful to live where I do, for the trails we have accessible and the lack of out of towners we get here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

snowmobilers* will bring an end to trail riding long before global warming does.

*may or may not apply to all 

Their own worst enemy! They know this but still could care less. Gonna do whatever they want just for selfish reasons

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

If that section of 12/17 is part of the main RR bed to Hurley that will be bad if another route around can't be found.   Trail 8 loop to the East is nice but almost all roads and needs better snow conditions.   12 west closes a bunch of stuff as well. 

one of my early season loops is from boulder jct to mwish waters, presque and back to boulder.   have been over to Mercer a few times but it's not my cup of tea... lot of others seem to like it... LOTS!!!!

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Their own worst enemy! They know this but still could care less. Gonna do whatever they want just for selfish reasons

most the douche bags don't have any skin in the game, unlike the locals, clubs and volunteers. 

• Like 1

Honestly I think the northern UP gets more sleds with loud "cans."  I don't hear that many in Northern, WI.   

I think there is more a problem with sleds out to all hours of the night.   The cabin next to ours rents in the winter and sleds more often than not roll in 2-3 in the morning.   Lots of nights even later or earlier depending how you look at it.  They always come in the trail instead of across the lake.   This goes right by dozens of houses.

Part of my crew loves rolling in after 2 after closing a bar down.  I'd prefer being at the cabin around 10 and drink at my bar but will close the bar down on the same lake and drive respectfully across the lake to the cabin. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1