Trail Closure Wakefield Trail 2

24 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

don't hate the physically fit

:lol:

XC skiing, snowshoeing, biking and general excercise doesn't make one a granola munching liberal.  

my wife and dog often go snowshoeing while I'm out snowmobiling.  

Compare a x country skier to your average snowmobile and you’ll understand why the US Military can’t find physically fit specimens. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Compare a x country skier to your average snowmobile and you’ll understand why the US Military can’t find physically fit specimens. 

I bet the average snowmobile rider could outwork and out play any average cross country skier.  Many snowmobile riders are laborers during all the other seasons, from concrete, to construction etc and so they have their winters free.  There are more snowmobile riders out working on trails during the spring and summer, marking all the trails, grooming and cleaning up brush etc, just so all those "fit" skiers can use them.  Many XC skiers get into it to get INTO shape in their 40's and older while many riders are younger guys that don't need to ski to get into shape.  Yeah, I think I would bet you most snowmobile riders could out work most cross country skiers.

Edited by racer254

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I bet the average snowmobile rider could outwork and out play any average cross country skier.  Many snowmobile riders are laborers during all the other seasons, from concrete, to construction etc and so they have their winters free.  There are more snowmobile riders out working on trails during the spring and summer, marking all the trails, grooming and cleaning up brush etc, just so all those "fit" skiers can use them.  Yeah, I think I would bet you most snowmobile riders could out work most cross country skiers.

Geez…don’t take it so personal! 🤣

BTW most of the riders on this forum are not as you describe and judging by most of the the club posts I see on FB they usually have 4-6 retirees doing off season trail maintenance. Also I have never seen a X Country skier on the trails around here.🤷🏻

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

you can toss video games, ATVs and sxs's in with that.

man o man do I see some physically fit specimens in northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan riding those things.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I bet the average snowmobile rider could outwork and out play any average cross country skier.  Many snowmobile riders are laborers during all the other seasons, from concrete, to construction etc and so they have their winters free.  There are more snowmobile riders out working on trails during the spring and summer, marking all the trails, grooming and cleaning up brush etc, just so all those "fit" skiers can use them.  Many XC skiers get into it to get INTO shape in their 40's and older while many riders are younger guys that don't need to ski to get into shape.  Yeah, I think I would bet you most snowmobile riders could out work most cross country skiers.

and many more are not fit, would be amusing to see the biometric demographics of people who regularly participate in silent sports compared to the 'lets ride from one bar to the next' crowd.

mx, SX and XC racers are fit and have to be, F1 racers are fit, heck even the nascar drivers have taken fitness to a higher level. 

45 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Settle down numbnut, it's a joke.

Besides, Diet 7 UP drinking, granola munching libtards don't stimulate local economies like snowmobilers do. 

I have a true story and it's the reason I said what I said. Back in 1992 my brother, myself and some friends were snowmobiling in northern WI and we stopped at a local establishment in our area and the owner knew my dad, his name was Tiny. We walked in and I said "hey Tiny, how's it going"? Tiny replies........"thank god for you snowmobilers because a guy can't make a living up here off the cross country skiers who come in and drink diet 7up and want to split a granola bar". :lmao:

funny thing is, I know both crowds very well, and tiny was right.

43 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Holy shit. 

Here you go right from the source…

There has been a great amount of commentary and discussion on the meeting that took place over the snowmobile trail through the resort.  

The management of Snowriver Mountain Resort, formerly known as Big Snow, appreciates the feedback we’ve received from snowmobilers over the past few days, and we recognize the huge economic value these visitors bring to the area. We look forward to working with our local community to help strengthen the local economy and continue to be both a good neighbor and good steward of the land we operate on. 

As a ski resort, it is our responsibility to provide a comfortable, enjoyable, and safe skiing and boarding experience for our guests, including many families with young children. While we embrace and encourage all forms of winter recreation, the proximity of a busy snowmobile trail to our guests and our ski area operations creates hazards that are not only not covered by our insurance but are also not safe. While we do employ snowmobiles as part of our operations, including snowmaking and ski patrol, these trips are strictly limited, done by trained staff, are covered by insurance and are operated based on best industry safety protocols. 

Unfortunately, the snowmobile trail system, as it exists today, goes directly through the heart of our ski area’s base areas and this is not safe. The trail in question came to be when other landowners revoked access to their land back in the mid-2010s. After this, a trail was built across the resort without a written use agreement or adequate liability plan. Moving forward, we are actively exploring options to find a solution in which a snowmobile trail between the east and west of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan can still travel through the communities of our surrounding area while continuing to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our guests. 

We were told by the local snowmobile club that it had been working on alternative routing to accomplish this, and we have offered financial assistance to help with this effort.  

The Snowriver Mountain Resort and our staff look forward to continuing to be community partners and working with all involved to find a solution that works best for everyone involved. 

Charles Skinner 
President & CEO 
Midwest Family Ski Resorts

43 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

So he didn't want the snowmobile trail near in Michigan but wants to expand his ski resort on Forest Service Property in MN.

https://www.cookcountynews-herald.com/articles/forest-service-seeks-comments-about-the-proposed-lutsen-mountains-ski-area-expansion-plan/

Talk about windmilling.  Shut down one area, and cut a bunch of national forest trees to open up another...

Fortunately, the North Shore State Trail will NEVER be affected by this.  There was one tiny trail close to the ski hill last year that I noticed got closed down.  Not sure if it was on Lutsen property, or an adjacent owner, but I'm sure that's coming.  The Lutsen snowmobile club has their shop just to the east of the ski hill and have really stepped up their game in the past few years with their trail work.  Hats off to those guys and gals!

Does anyone know if Mogul's (Bar/Restaurant) is owned by the same guy?  I can easily avoid that if I need to going forward.

• Like 1

There has been a great amount of commentary and discussion on the meeting that took place over the snowmobile trail through the resort.
The management of Snowriver Mountain Resort, formerly known as Big Snow, appreciates the feedback we’ve received from snowmobilers over the past few days, and we recognize the huge economic value these visitors bring to the area. We look forward to working with our local community to help strengthen the local economy and continue to be both a good neighbor and good steward of the land we operate on.
As a ski resort, it is our responsibility to provide a comfortable, enjoyable, and safe skiing and boarding experience for our guests, including many families with young children. While we embrace and encourage all forms of winter recreation, the proximity of a busy snowmobile trail to our guests and our ski area operations creates hazards that are not only not covered by our insurance but are also not safe. While we do employ snowmobiles as part of our operations, including snowmaking and ski patrol, these trips are strictly limited, done by trained staff, are covered by insurance and are operated based on best industry safety protocols.
Unfortunately, the snowmobile trail system, as it exists today, goes directly through the heart of our ski area’s base areas and this is not safe. The trail in question came to be when other landowners revoked access to their land back in the mid-2010s. After this, a trail was built across the resort without a written use agreement or adequate liability plan. Moving forward, we are actively exploring options to find a solution in which a snowmobile trail between the east and west of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan can still travel through the communities of our surrounding area while continuing to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our guests.
We were told by the local snowmobile club that it had been working on alternative routing to accomplish this, and we have offered financial assistance to help with this effort.
The Snowriver Mountain Resort and our staff look forward to continuing to be community partners and working with all involved to find a solution that works best for everyone involved.
Charles Skinner
President & CEO
May be an image of 1 person and snow

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Here you go right from the source…

Charles Skinner 
President & CEO 

He might be hiding behind the insurance/liability and might not be.   Honestly I can't see many ski resorts anywhere in the country that would allow for a trail to go straight thru the property.   Sledders being sledders some will take off on the hills.  Hopefully they can find an amicable solution.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Highmark said:

He might be hiding behind the insurance/liability and might not be.   Honestly I can't see many ski resorts anywhere in the country that would allow for a trail to go straight thru the property.   Sledders being sledders some will take off on the hills.  Hopefully they can find an amicable solution.   

Yes one would think that would be far too much temptation for the 12" riser,backpack,mohawk helmet, 174" tracked trail rider :bc:

Agree,hopefully it can be remedied.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Since when does the military recruit snowmobiles? 

:lmao:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I live not too far from Buck Hill in Burnsville, I've always joked it would be fun once they shut down the skiing season to make a lap or two up and around the remaining snow until its melted!!  But yeah, not that stupid.

5 minutes ago, HSR said:

Yes one would think that would be far too much temptation for the 12" riser,backpack,mohawk helmet, 174" tracked trail rider :bc:

Agree,hopefully it can be remedied.

You have to laugh at the UP wanna be mountain riders with the backpacks and shovels in the bars.  :lol:  

• Haha 1

Just now, Mag6240 said:

I live not too far from Buck Hill in Burnsville, I've always joked it would be fun once they shut down the skiing season to make a lap or two up and around the remaining snow until its melted!!  But yeah, not that stupid.

Our hill is small,just 4 runs but years back when they shut the hill down for the season I would get the keys to the chalet from the club prez and a bunch of would head out and paly on the hills,do some drag racing and have a big BBQ .It was a fucking riot!!!

1 hour ago, Badger** said:
Charles Skinner
President & CEO
May be an image of 1 person and snow

I posted a question if the resort and club/community had any additional meetings setup to explore options.  If they are truly looking at options to resolve this you would think additional meeting or at least informational discusses would be scheduled.  

It would also be nice to get the clubs take on this since the resort released a response.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ICG said:

No rational person would want, nor place a snowmobile trail through the middle of a ski resort. 

Snowmobiles don't fair well with vehicular or pedestrian traffic.

resoryv

They actually did a nice job keeping the trail away from any areas that would have had pedestrians or skiers.  At Indianhead, it does cross two access road going to the ski area parking.  That section is also close to a few condos that overlook the upper lot.  It is the latest section added to the reroute and winds like a bugger through the woods between Wakefield and Indianhead.  I'm guessing this is the portion that is raising the stink.

The portion around Blackjack runs on the ROW of a road going to the lower lodge.  That section has been in place a long long time. 

I completely forgot about the clubs groomer barn.  They run most of the stuff on that end out of a facility in Bessemer.  The trail closure would definitely impact the operations.  Sure, they can run along the roads.  Oddly enough, there are not many E - W through roads in that area.  Some of the old mine pits are big buggers and I'm not sure who controls that property.  Running equipment along Hwy. 2 would not be fun.  I would not be surprised if they ran equipment on the old grade trail.  It is the most direct route and is sized for equipment.

• Like 1