Trail Closure Wakefield Trail 2

8 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I can't remember but I think the old old trail was in blue? Why can't they just across Sunday Lake instead of running North to Indian Head and just head over to HWY 2 in red?  

235511.jpg

Mi state law...NO state funded trail can cross a body of water....BUT...I saw this problem happen in Dickinson county around 15-20 years ago...A local high roller built a big house adjacent to the trail#2 rr grade northeast of Iron Mt...He got a lawyer to get an injunction to close the trail due to noise...So in order to keep trail2 open they re-routed it across Lk Antoine...Only time I have ever seen a mi funded trail go across water...It was STUPID and a tragedy waiting to happen because that lake is spring fed and can develop soft spots overnight in certain weather conditions...The homeowner eventually lost his battle and the rr grade was reopened...

• Like 2

Just now, SlugsOnSleds said:

Mi state law...NO state funded trail can cross a body of water....BUT...I saw this problem happen in Dickinson county around 15-20 years ago...A local high roller built a big house adjacent to the trail#2 rr grade northeast of Iron Mt...He got a lawyer to get an injunction to close the trail due to noise...So in order to keep trail2 open they re-routed it across Lk Antoine...Only time I have ever seen a mi funded trail go across water...It was STUPID and a tragedy waiting to happen because that lake is spring fed and can develop soft spots overnight in certain weather conditions...The homeowner eventually lost his battle and the rr grade was reopened...

Last year I know we crossed Sunday Lake heading over to Hurley from White Pine to see my daughter.  They are really in a jam. 

2 hours ago, Badger** said:

I am told they have a new owner at Black Jack and may have had something to do with this.

Art Dumke has his hands in a lot of project here in town but surprised he owned a ski hill.

When I stay at my buddies place in Conover going up and taking that loop was a nice 180 mile ride.

• Like 1

We started to base out of presque isle because 2 got to be a mess!

we stayed at Indian head motel for years and rented houses they had next door.

not sure they still have the houses?

hope it works out that’s a major corridor!

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Rich guys like to shut down trails 

Complete bullshit. Your jealousy is showing again. 

9 hours ago, Badger** said:

Democrats don't like snowmobilers, if they had their way there would be no snowmobiling. 

Nailed it. Same problem we have in Vermont. State is now full of liberal twats who hate powersports coming from MA, CT and NY. 

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

When the boomers rode off trail on private property in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was ok though. ATVs, Sleds, Dirtbikes. you name it. 

But now the uptight boomers dont want anyone to have any fun and cry about everything.  Fucking fags. 

• Like 1

Back in the day most land was owned by feds or lumber companies.

now it’s being sold to private individuals!

Next 10-15 years going to be tough for our sport.

maybe some kind of tax break to allow trails to go through?

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, ICG said:

Time to play hard ball ..... No wussy stuff begging + groveling for access that you could take!

Yes, the community / Economic Development Commission  can take your trails back legally through Eminent Domain .. 

Ugly words, but the US Supreme Court backed the EDC in taking citizens homes for commercial development for Pfizer pharmaceuticals.....

Bet the resorts don't want to hear those words.    

Using Eminent Domain for things such as this is bullshit.   Find another route.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

So with that Bio, is it true that I read the guy owns Lutsen in MN also??  He has trails running right into the resort many of us use every year.  

Yes,

He has Lutsen, and some part of Granite Peak.

Charles Skinner, Jr. of Duluth, Minnesota and co-owner of Lutsen Mountains in Minnesota, signs a 30 year lease with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to run the ski area in April of 2000. Skinner, renames the ski area “Granite Peak” in hopes to attract more attention and notoriety immediately. Skinner and the DNR agree to immediate upgrades in turn to $8 million over 3 years including new additional runs on both the east and west side of the current ski area, new chairlifts, new snowmaking equipment, new rentals, new buildings and technological improvements to ticketing.

Edited by racer254

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Using Eminent Domain for things such as this is bullshit.   Find another route.

So, it's wrong to use because it has unyielding force?  Wake up and fight business & lawyers the same way they walk on small people...

This would be a direct path to get permeant trails..   

Canada is very pro trails,. We could be if we took the bull by the horns + kicked it in the balls.

45 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

So with that Bio, is it true that I read the guy owns Lutsen in MN also??  He has trails running right into the resort many of us use every year.  

Until a reason comes out it's hard to judge the decision.  Hopefully they find a reroute.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ICG said:

So, it's wrong to use because it has unyielding force?  Wake up and fight business & lawyers the same way they walk on small people...

This would be a direct path to get permeant trails..   

Canada is very pro trails,. We could be if we took the bull by the horns + kicked it in the balls.

You would think differently as a landowner.....guaranteed. 

It should be my choice to allow public recreation on my land.   Iowa and I assume other states have laws in place that stop ED for recreational use because its such a slippery slope and could be used so abusively.   Think about if the state came and said you know what we want to make all of your land available for public hunting...is it really yours anymore?

I get this is an emotional topic as a sledder but try and look at it from the owners perspective and don't let your opinion of their status influence it.  We need to maintain private property rights in this country as much as possible.   

If they want to use ED then it would require a purchase of the property....not we are forcing you to let us use it. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It should be my choice to allow public recreation on my land.   Iowa and I assume other states have laws in place that stop ED for recreational use because its such a slippery slope and could be used so abusively.   Think about if the state came and said you know what we want to make all of your land available for public hunting...is it really yours anymore?

I get this is an emotional topic as a sledder but try and look at it from the owners perspective and don't let your opinion of their status influence it.  We need to maintain private property rights in this country as much as possible.   

If they want to use ED then it would require a purchase of the property....not we are forcing you to let us use it. 

well said 

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

well said 

Go suing one property owner for use and watch how fast others revoke usage or needed new landowners refuse.   People need to think beyond the emotional aspect of losing a small section of trail. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Go suing one property owner for use and watch how fast others revoke usage or needed new landowners refuse.   People need to think beyond the emotional aspect of losing a small section of trail. 

I fully agree

Some people feel as though purchasing a snowmobile, registration and trail pass gives them rights.  Snowmobiling on private property is a privilege, and one I fear could be easily lost.

• Like 1

The best course of action IMO is for the DNR, Clubs, MSA…ect…to figure out a way to purchase land especially in areas that may be prone to closure…eminent domain is theft IMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Badger** said:

Democrats don't like snowmobilers, if they had their way there would be no snowmobiling. 

Truth

Those granola munching cross country skier types hate seeing people with motors having fun.

With that said, certain snowmobilers need to stay on marked trails, that one is a big killer of trail systems.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EvilBird said:

When the boomers rode off trail on private property in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was ok though. ATVs, Sleds, Dirtbikes. you name it. 

But now the uptight boomers dont want anyone to have any fun and cry about everything.  Fucking fags. 

I really don’t give a shit about any of it now. But if you’re a rider YOU should be. 

23 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Truth

Those granola munching cross country skier types hate seeing people with motors having fun.

With that said, certain snowmobilers need to stay on marked trails, that one is a big killer of trail systems.

More than ever snowmobiles need to behave. There’s pressure from a lot of different directions and the pool of riders is getting smaller. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Actually myself +family are large landowners, 500 or so acres.... And, grandparents were shaken by the powers to be to string hi tension power lines through it.  Do you want to fly into our private air strip with near by hi tension wires?  Power lines were a  screwing... Gas mains were negotiated with  a positive cash flow....

Sorry, but the United States Supreme Court in Kelo v. City of New London  allows wider takings.  Their ruling allows property from private landowners taken and allocated to others.

Lost 1st response......it was more elaborated, but system crashed.

Edited by ICG
Spelling

29 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Truth

don't hate the physically fit

:lol:

XC skiing, snowshoeing, biking and general excercise doesn't make one a granola munching liberal.  

my wife and dog often go snowshoeing while I'm out snowmobiling.  

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

don't hate the physically fit

:lol:

XC skiing, snowshoeing, biking and general excercise doesn't make one a granola munching liberal.  

my wife and dog often go snowshoeing while I'm out snowmobiling.  

Settle down numbnut, it's a joke.

Besides, Diet 7 UP drinking, granola munching libtards don't stimulate local economies like snowmobilers do. 

I have a true story and it's the reason I said what I said. Back in 1992 my brother, myself and some friends were snowmobiling in northern WI and we stopped at a local establishment in our area and the owner knew my dad, his name was Tiny. We walked in and I said "hey Tiny, how's it going"? Tiny replies........"thank god for you snowmobilers because a guy can't make a living up here off the cross country skiers who come in and drink diet 7up and want to split a granola bar". :lmao:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ICG said:

Actually myself +family are large landowners, 500 or so acres.... And, grandparents were shaken by the powers to be to string hi tension power lines through it.  Do you want to fly into our private air strip with near by hi tension wires?  Power lines were a  screwing... Gas mains were negotiated with  a positive cash flow....

Sorry, but the United States Supreme Court in Kelo v. City of New London  allows wider takings.  Their ruling allows property from private landowners taken and allocated to others.

Lost 1st response......it was more elaborated, but system crashed.

Yes the Kelo v City of New London did allow for private land to be condemned in order to generate higher tax revenue.  Like other SC cases just because it was ruled in a certain way doesn't mean its correct.  I would love to see another case come before this SC and have that decision reversed. 

So your family was paid for utility passage?   You were against your families land being condemned for utilities but support condemnation for snowmobile trail usage?

Again ED for recreational use is often illegal pending the state and again ED would suggest purchase at FMV not we are just going to force you to let us use it. 

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/court-rejects-use-of-eminent-domain-for-6289902/

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1