Trail Closure Wakefield Trail 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

!!! EMERGENCY MEETING TONIGHT !!!
!!! WAKEFIELD SNOWMOBILE TRAIL 2 CLOSURE !!!
The new ownership of Big Snow Resort , which operates Blackjack Mountain - Big Snow Resort and Indianhead Mountain - Big Snow Resort ,  alerted the GRTA they are revoking our trail permits permanently.   We will hold our club meeting tonight and then move into solution finding discussion on reconnecting the trail system afterwards.   

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  Snowmobile trail 2 in Gogebic county will not connect east to west.  Access to Bessemer, MI, Ironwood, MI, Hurley, WI, Mercer, WI will only be possible via 11S connector through Vilas County, WI.  County roads are open for snowmobile use in the ROW, unless marked.  

We will seek your positive support for snowmobile tourism in a call to action very soon, please check back for updates.  We don't have much else to say right now other than we are so, so very sorry to our sponsors, members, neighbors and community leaders.  We spent the last week hoping for a different outcome, but it was agreed it was time for us to go public and seek support.  It's time to shine with positivity our fellow sled head supporters and show the world how much snowmobiling means to Gogebic County & beyond!  

Steve Hamilton
President - GRTA
#saveGCsnowmobiling

40917E3D-4145-4666-B6BD-2870B4451FAC.thumb.jpeg.0171e6e08eaf4bd873fb35e9721b0cc3.jpegE87F5B34-08C3-4476-BB0C-B30E7256783F.thumb.jpeg.433a87dcc58928eeff9e80b4f0530da4.jpeg

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

• Jimmy Snacks changed the title to Trail Closure Wakefield Trail 2
5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Not that I have seen.

Gogebic Range Trail Authority - ORV & Snowmobile Club

When "appropriate" we will share this information, but want to allot the ownership more time to consider their stance

12 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

My map shows two routes through there, is the straight one a road or something??

4FC8F5A9-E70D-4319-BB80-BDAFDAD31B7C.thumb.png.0eee7569f527e5ae3d867f8058b4e09f.png

The straight route was closed about 2 years ago.  On their facebook page they posted they have been trying to get that back open but no luck.

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Anyone selling a race can for a 2001 XC 700?  :lol: Braaap....ItS tHe SoUnD oF mY PeOpLe

I’ve stayed at blackjack and ridden from there multiple times. Sleds are the whole ecoconomy during the winter. Their ski hills are shit and I wouldn’t pay to ride them. They can bite the hand that feeds them and be shut down like California faggots

• Like 1

Bummer deal.

I know that area well.

That is the reroute being used since they lost the old section running the grade through Bessemer.  I had talked with Steve after he took his position about trying to get the old trail back.  We talked about how this thing couldn't last with the way it ran through the ski resorts and around the Condos.  Sledders have been doing plenty of stuff off trail and a lot of tracks were close to those businesses.  On a side note - I've never seen tracks going to the ski hills.

That reroute has been some sort of open invitation for people to head off trail along the pipeline.

The current reroute is not convenient for riding or grooming.  It is prone to turning into mud quick with the odd sun exposure and gazillion sharp turns and stop signs.  The combination of issues has killed traffic volume.  I'm a little surprised that some local businesses wouldn't get more involved.   I bet the volume is down more than 70% vs. the old trail.  Basically, the Hurley, Ironwood, and Bessemer, overnighters have moved further East.  Losing this trail would probably put the final nail in quite a few of those businesses.

I ride that area often.  I used to ride it a lot more.  It was nice to use Ironwood - Wakefield as a good starting point.  There were quite a few room and entertainment options.  Riding to the U.P. or Wisconsin system was easy.  That section of trail has changed our riding and lodging.  We drive further in rigs and stay further East.  Honestly, I think we've only bought WI permits once since that route was changed.  I'm sure there are plenty of riders coming from the WI side that have done the same with MI riding.  It would certainly be even worse if they lose the current reroute.

There is some strange irony with that trail problem.  This pic was taken at one of the ski resorts in 2012.

IMG-20111211-00553.thumb.jpg.09a9a9e48cf7b6ea714988dd13fa9c78.jpg

Businesses could partner with the sledding community.  Ironwood is still trying with racing.

I looked pretty seriously around Wakefield/Bessemer for a property to use as a home base.  When they lost the old corridor section, I quit looking in that area.  It felt like they were becoming the end of the line in the trail system.  Losing this section would truly make it the end of the line.

Edited by favoritos
clarification
  • Like 2

Time to play hard ball ..... No wussy stuff begging + groveling for access that you could take!

Yes, the community / Economic Development Commission  can take your trails back legally through Eminent Domain .. 

Ugly words, but the US Supreme Court backed the EDC in taking citizens homes for commercial development for Pfizer pharmaceuticals.....

Bet the resorts don't want to hear those words.    

I am told they have a new owner at Black Jack and may have had something to do with this.

Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner, a Minnesota-based ski resort operator, bought the property last week from Art Dumke, an Oshkosh real estate developer.Sep 6, 2022

1 minute ago, Doug said:

Here is a bio of the new owner.  Hope they can get something worked out on a reroute and just get away from the ski hill

https://www.lutsen.com/discover/discover-lutsen/about-us?fbclid=IwAR2Y3n0Y71M7vKHM_QnJ_7Oqyp_ttQ30oTqDRupvKOYmlsWfRPLeHG8Q-eY

Looks like the kind of guy I'd expect to kill the trail.

Charles Skinner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I can't remember but I think the old old trail was in blue? Why can't they just across Sunday Lake instead of running North to Indian Head and just head over to HWY 2 in red?  

235511.jpg

Edited by Badger**

2 minutes ago, Badger** said:

Democrats don't like snowmobilers, if they had their way there would be no snowmobiling. 

Snowmobiles are their own worst enemies. 

https://www.wearegreenbay.com/news/local-news/oneida-co-landowner-close-to-nixing-agreement-after-snowmobilers-ride-off-the-trail/amp/

• Like 1