Vr1 boost vs sidewinder

Rod

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

It’s also a mountain only package so who cares, if we are talking about trail sleds. 

True for this year.  Cat and Doo have a lot of work to do before next year.

Hear Yamaha wants to pull the plug on Cat as well.  Perhaps why their new chassis is "2 stroke" only.

1 hour ago, big_phil said:

Who leaves a 998 stock? 

15 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

70 year old men. That’s about it. That pretty much goes for all Cat turbos and F7s though. 

It’s also a mountain only package so who cares, if we are talking about trail sleds. 

"See my dick? Look how big my dick is. No, seriously, look at the girth of this monster!"

People like you make this all worth it... :lol:

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I don’t expect the Polaris Boost to take many mods at lower elevations. Even with race gas I think it’s no where near as strong as a 4S boosted sled, durability/build wise. 

Agreed. But if it honestly lays a gape on a stock turbo cat that’s one fast friggin sled 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I don’t expect the Polaris Boost to take many mods at lower elevations. Even with race gas I think it’s no where near as strong as a 4S boosted sled, durability/build wise. 

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed. But if it honestly lays a gape on a stock turbo cat that’s one fast friggin sled 

Even 10-20 hp increase at lower elevations on pump gas would be amazing.   Think of how hard it is to add 15-20 hp to a naturally aspirated sled?

With modern 2 stroke detonation control and factories being extra safe I would think 10-20 on pump is feasible.  Poo left a bit on the table just on the programming with the NA sleds.    

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Even 10-20 hp increase at lower elevations on pump gas would be amazing.   Think of how hard it is to add 15-20 hp to a naturally aspirated sled?

With modern 2 stroke detonation control and factories being extra safe I would think 10-20 on pump is feasible.  Poo left a bit on the table just on the programming with the NA sleds.    

Idk it’s pretty easy to get 30-35 more hp out of an old triple 

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Idk it’s pretty easy to get 30-35 more hp out of an old triple 

Depends on the sled and depends on what you mean by easy.  As soon as you are talking getting into the motor that goes beyond "easy" for 95 out of 100 sledders.  We aren't talking about old triples either.  

Not easy at all getting 30-35 HP out of the old cat 800-1000 triples.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Snake said:

"See my dick? Look how big my dick is. No, seriously, look at the girth of this monster!"

People like you make this all worth it... :lol:

I don’t understand this mentality either.  We’re supposed to feel bad because we don’t want to mod what is the most powerful stock sled made? I would answer who mods them?  Guys who spend more money wrenching than riding?.  And guys with little dicks?  Don’t get me wrong I love a fast sled and did some minor mods to my 1100 turbo.  But after that experience fuck all that noise.  i just want to ride, not wrench these days.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Depends on the sled and depends on what you mean by easy.  As soon as you are talking getting into the motor that goes beyond "easy" for 95 out of 100 sledders.  We aren't talking about old triples either.  

Not easy at all getting 30-35 HP out of the old cat 800-1000 triples.  

Cat triples are single port exhaust junk 

you can get 180-190 hp out of a rotax 790-800 pretty easy and good lort you know it too 

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah but I like going around corners and absorbing bumps!

Going around corners is a triples thing. Thought you had an old SRX?

absorbing bumps is not their thing. At all. But we have groomers here 

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Cat triples are single port exhaust junk 

you can get 180-190 hp out of a rotax 790-800 pretty easy and good lort you know it too 

Single port junk that still hold the stock 1000' speed run record.   A 1998 none the less.

Sure you can get 180-190 out of the Rotax but it isn't what I would call easy for average sledder.

https://dynoport.com/2019/12/tuning-the-rotax-800-triple/

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Going around corners is a triples thing. Thought you had an old SRX?

absorbing bumps is not their thing. At all. But we have groomers here 

yeah 20 years ago.  we have groomers too but all the flatlanders shell them out quickly so this flatlander generally goes offtrail and looks for untracked stuff.  

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Single port junk that still hold the stock 1000' speed run record.   A 1998 none the less.

Sure you can get 180-190 out of the Rotax but it isn't what I would call easy for average sledder.

https://dynoport.com/2019/12/tuning-the-rotax-800-triple/

Trail port, pipes  and v force reeds. Pretty easy 

Cat made power through big CC. And they have a huge bore spacing. But you can’t do much with them with their shitty exhaust port 

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Trail port, pipes  and v force reeds. Pretty easy 

Cat made power through big CC. And they have a huge bore spacing. But you can’t do much with them with their shitty exhaust port 

Again depends on how you define easy and trail port won't get you into the 180's.   

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Again depends on how you define easy and trail port won't get you into the 180's.   

Yeah they do easy now. Even 190. Improver rotax 800’s are into the 220-230 range 

On 9/19/2022 at 8:10 AM, Highmark said:

While it appears as though Polaris may have spent some decent money and time with their engine management to pull this off at sea level, the fact still remains that the bottom end of that engine is not going to take what a 4S can. I’ll even be willing to bet that it wont take much to get a stock boost to derate. I do agree that the factory does leave a bit on the table I also know that a lot of people try to get more out of them and a lot of times end up just killing the driveability and longevity of them along the way. Time will tell with this deal but for now, my stance stands. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

310-320ish and they run well there from all accounts. 

Tune alone with no exhaust is much less.   Add free flowing exhaust, 3 bar, aftermarket BOV and you can get to 310-315.  Some factory BOV's are ok but to be safe a better aftermarket one is relatively cheap.   A leak down test is essential to maximizing the Winders performance especially if boosted.    

Edited by Highmark