Check your account email address ×

We need to go to 6% unemployment to get inflation down

Anler

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

My brother has been driving for UPS for a year. He loves it. They are sending him all over driving routes because they literally cannot hire a single person. That job pays just over $40 per hour after 4 years and the benefits are significant including a fat teamsters pension. Cant find anyone to take 100k per year job. Insane 

My buddy works for UPS going on 15 years. He is crushing it right now same thing, no drivers.  

27 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

My buddy works for UPS going on 15 years. He is crushing it right now same thing, no drivers.  

Yup , with all the incentives and OT rules it would be easy for a topped out driver to make 150k plus right now. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

PPI is down 2 months in a row which should happen before CPI however lots of factors hard to measure.   I can't get over right now in my area how many people are looking for workers.   Its unreal.   

36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

PPI is down 2 months in a row which should happen before CPI however lots of factors hard to measure.   I can't get over right now in my area how many people are looking for workers.   Its unreal.   

I think we are watching the great turnover happen before our eyes. Boomers leaving the workforce and spending the retirements they gifted themselves and nobody there to fill the jobs they left. 

To be more specific , nobody there to fill the jobs the people who filled the boomers cushy jobs left. 

There is a huge hole in the workforce and it’s not going to get any better until we go through a massive debilitating recession or worse 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think we are watching the great turnover happen before our eyes. Boomers leaving the workforce and spending the retirements they gifted themselves and nobody there to fill the jobs they left. 

To be more specific , nobody there to fill the jobs the people who filled the boomers cushy jobs left. 

There is a huge hole in the workforce and it’s not going to get any better until we go through a massive debilitating recession or worse 

Next 10+ years are going to be interesting.   Lack of workers will force automation and some skills that can't be automated will be worth a fortune.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, f7ben said:

totally agree. 

boomers parents retired at 55.. so they have had a long run but their time is up. Unfortunately because of their constant greed and debt the younger generation has been playing catch up for years. 

So far the majority of layoffs have been white collar.    With all the mfg companies looking for workers it might take a significant slow down before they need to.

17 hours ago, f7ben said:

The woman that runs things over at LinkedIn has been saying that same thing. It’s the boomers leaving that has created this hole in the job marked. It has nothing to do with people staying home because they were getting paid by the government. I would’ve worked for a few more years, but the stress of Covid in the healthcare workplace made it too fucking stressful. 

33 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The woman that runs things over at LinkedIn has been saying that same thing. It’s the boomers leaving that has created this hole in the job marked. It has nothing to do with people staying home because they were getting paid by the government. I would’ve worked for a few more years, but the stress of Covid in the healthcare workplace made it too fucking stressful. 

Well we all gifted ourselves that retirement money we've been saving for years, so there's that.  :lol:  I swear some of these guys have 6th grade math skills.  Meanwhile this boomer is still working.

16 hours ago, Cold War said:

No one is going to work like we did. Coming to work if your dick fell off.  Those days are over . 

No shit. I get tired of the boomer this and boomer that. I'm selfish because I worked my ass off? Fuck you. My debt is my debt, no one else's and I'll make sure it's taken care of. I don't ask for anything from anyone else and I like it that way. 

17 hours ago, EvilBird said:

totally agree. 

boomers parents retired at 55.. so they have had a long run but their time is up. Unfortunately because of their constant greed and debt the younger generation has been playing catch up for years. 

A good portion of what’s fueling this hot economy are the boomers spending big during retirement. The younger, snot nose generations should be grateful. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

18-24 workforce participation is extremely poor.   Fed actiaons hae made boomers feel secure enough to retire but IMO any real drop in the markets is going to make those who retired with no pension in their 50's regret the choice.  

20 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

18-24 workforce participation is extremely poor.   Fed actiaons hae made boomers feel secure enough to retire but IMO any real drop in the markets is going to make those who retired with no pension in their 50's regret the choice.  

Yep.

ted_20140106.png

• Like 1

• Gold Member
44 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yep.

ted_20140106.png

interesting chart ...I notice my age bracket hasn't changed that much tho over the years. slight dip. 2002 I was 17 and working. 

Edited by EvilBird

33 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

interesting chart ...I notice my age bracket hasn't changed that much tho over the years. slight dip. 2002 I was 17 and working. 

My kids started working at 14/15,  i did at 15 because neither myself or my parents were going to give money.   amazing the kids not working today in HS and college age.  some not even going to school and not working.  at a "normal" 80 percent participation rate in the 20-24 year old groups lots of these service jobs would be filled.   with less pensions more working in the 65-74 makes sense as few have good plans for retirement.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cold War said:

No one is going to work like we did. Coming to work if your dick fell off.  Those days are over . 

The dems and some republicans do not like good work ethic.  That requires a strong back and a strong mind and the dems can't have that, those types are hard to control.

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

It’s been dropping since 2000. Gone from 78% in 2000 to 70% 2022. I wouldn’t call that extremely poor. 

54 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

My kids started working at 14/15,  i did at 15 because neither myself or my parents were going to give money.   amazing the kids not working today in HS and college age.  some not even going to school and not working.  at a "normal" 80 percent participation rate in the 20-24 year old groups lots of these service jobs would be filled.   with less pensions more working in the 65-74 makes sense as few have good plans for retirement.  

Talking about this last weekend.  We were all working by age 16.  It was very rare for a HS kid to not have a job and pay for their own  gas and what not. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Talking about this last weekend.  We were all working by age 16.  It was very rare for a HS kid to not have a job and pay for their own  gas and what not. 

Absolutely…I was riding my bike to jobs saving money for my first car…bought a rusty 72 IH Scout when I was 15…man was I proud of that thing!😎

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’s been dropping since 2000. Gone from 78% in 2000 to 70% 2022. I wouldn’t call that extremely poor. 

size of that gens blown up as well so it's 8% of more people.   and they typically fill those service jobs that are most needed at this point.  

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Absolutely…I was riding my bike to jobs saving money for my first car…bought a rusty 72 IH Scout when I was 15…man was I proud of that thing!😎

I don’t think we thought twice about it. Just what you did.  I can’t believe the amount of kids who don’t drive. What???!!  My parents helped me buy a $ 500 Plymouth horizon when I was 15 that I was responsible for gas and maintenance.  I had my mom pick me up from school on bday to go get license.  That little car never stopped rolling.  I drove the wheels off it. 😂

• Like 1