2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

back to the Cata'lysp... I wonder what changes they've made to the skid and if they are utilizing some of the front arm specs and geometry from the RXC or the SX sled which uses a 136" track.  any thoughts @racinfarmer @teamgreen02or @Premium

granted most RXC's (except 2020's) are 129's but watch at the 3:00 mark...

2 hours ago, krom said:

There is a picture of the procross overlaid with a catalyst, and the suspension arms/mounting points outlined in different colors so you can see the differences.

Ofcourse I cant find it right now....

Found the pic you were referencing.  Definitely looks like front arm length is very similar to the current R-XC albeit further forward. Geometry changes looking at this pic seem to be incremental. The website says the geometry has been updated to corner better and enhance track tension through travel but like everything so far, very vague as far as detail :dunno:

FB_IMG_1662891264050.jpg

Edited by Premium
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Premium said:

Found the pic you were referencing.  Definitely looks like front arm length is very similar to the current R-XC albeit further forward. Geometry changes looking at this pic seem to be incremental. The website says the geometry has been updated to corner better and enhance track tension through travel but like everything so far, very vague as far as detail :dunno:

FB_IMG_1662891264050.jpg

with that I see some vast differences, especially the front arm... where did your picture originate from?

I quickly pieced this together when it was first shown and people were comparing it to the old SP chassis

not the same.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

I can't remeber where I got the photo...it was on my phone from back in September...I think I may have downloaded it from FB?

The way I was looking at it, it seemed like they aligned the overlay on the rear skid upper mount point (red arrow). So to me knowing that the Catalyst R-XC is a 137 vs the 129 on the current R-XC, the distance between the purple and blue lines inside the yellow bubble could simply be explained by the longer rail.  The angles of those lines are similar but slightly different though. Front arm length appears the same to me.

Once you get up front the steering post appears significantly further forward relative to the seating position.

highlights.jpg

Edited by Premium

I'm glad we have all learned a thing or two here about whoops, track length, iron dog, bridging, and snowbikes.  I have updated the links for my professional online race training page.

Just hoping the man can educate us a little more here.  With the mad bridging capability of the 137", I'm not sure how we can get into that coveted bottom whoop area?  Seems like we will bridge right over it and not get the critical bottom whoop drive?

Regardless, I updated my website, I was so wrong before!!

Screenshot_20221126-123819~7.png

Screenshot_20221126-120616~5.png

• Haha 2

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'm glad we have all learned a thing or two here about whoops, track length, iron dog, bridging, and snowbikes.  I have updated the links for my professional online race training page.

Just hoping the man can educate us a little more here.  With the mad bridging capability of the 137", I'm not sure how we can get into that coveted bottom whoop area?  Seems like we will bridge right over it and not get the critical bottom whoop drive?

:lol:

42 minutes ago, mnstang said:

please animate them for the love of God... 

I d0nT geT iT :crazy:

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

depends what kind of whoops were talking about.  see above. 

also, when you see video of sleds going through whoops or chop you're seeing the suspension drop due to shock rebound settings.  idk about you but I don't want my suspension compressed at the bottom of a whoop or hole... or to get your track packed.

see this video...   https://youtu.be/iiH-cIRec6Q

Why are you posting dirt bike videos? The guy swapping out in that section of chop has nothing to do with big whoops either. 

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

depends what kind of whoops were talking about.  see above. 

also, when you see video of sleds going through whoops or chop you're seeing the suspension drop due to shock rebound settings.  idk about you but I don't want my suspension compressed at the bottom of a whoop or hole... or to get your track packed.

see this video...   https://youtu.be/iiH-cIRec6Q

There were about 2.5 sections of whoops in that video and none were touching the bottom 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

Lol a link to my techniques?  I'm not an online riding coach so I don't have a link to my techniques.

But you go ahead and keep thinking you should be at the bottom of a whoop if it makes you feel better.

Pro racers do not need my advice and I never claimed that they did.  What I've said here is nothing revolutionary, you're just being sensitive and are digging a hole deeper by doing what you're doing.  Funny, all the cat racers have stayed with the 129.

I never said you should be at the bottom of a whoop, however, in huge deep whoops that’s what happens on a rough XC race course with deep snow. I take it you’ve never ridden in those conditions either? It must be super fun riding around in a corn field or a ditch with a whopping 4” of dry snow in the pancake flat terrain in the Midwest. Surely you have a photo of this menacing terrain or can find one on the interweb? Help me to understand your mythically good riding skills at navigating such challenging trails. 

16 hours ago, AK440 said:

A 136 rides noticeably different than a 121 through the whoops. The difference between a 128 and a 136 isn’t as noticeable. I think the concept of “bridging bumps” is flawed but makes for a good mental image. The biggest difference I’ve noticed with a 128 and especially the 136 when compared to a 121 is the length of time the track stays in contact with the ground propelling you forward through big whoops. The longer track can dig into both the bottom of the whoop and up its face to help get you over the next one.

Oh... you said BIG whoops!  

6 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Why are you posting dirt bike videos? The guy swapping out in that section of chop has nothing to do with big whoops either. 

there's every kind of whoop you can imagine in the video.  did you happen to notice in the tight small whoops they were riding across the top of them to maintain their speed.  

what size whoop did he hit, and would the outcome have been better on a 137?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AK440 said:

I never said you should be at the bottom of a whoop, however, in huge deep whoops that’s what happens on a rough XC race course with deep snow. I take it you’ve never ridden in those conditions either? It must be super fun riding around in a corn field or a ditch with a whopping 4” of dry snow in the pancake flat terrain in the Midwest. Surely you have a photo of this menacing terrain or can find one on the interweb? Help me to understand your mythically good riding skills at navigating such challenging trails. 

there's actual footage of him racing online 

you? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AK440 said:

See my website for full videos and photos.

• Like 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's actual footage of him racing online 

you? 

I want to see this “footage”. Is it grainy old VHS footage from the 80’s? Or Super 8 film from some oval race in buttfuck nowhere in the 70’s?

2 minutes ago, AK440 said:

I want to see this “footage”. Is it grainy old VHS footage from the 80’s? Or Super 8 film from some oval race in buttfuck nowhere in the 70’s?

no, I'm not going to out him here.  if he wants to share it with you he will.  

I don't race anything anymore except to the toilet after too much Mexican food 

Do you race?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

no, I'm not going to out him here.  if he wants to share it with you he will.  

I don't race anything anymore except to the toilet after too much Mexican food 

Do you race?

Oh, so he’s the first racer in the history of ever that doesn’t promote himself. Seems like it’d be difficult to obtain sponsors that way but you guys are teaching class here. 

Should I do a Google search for “random snowmobile forum user who says he races”? 

10 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Oh, so he’s the first racer in the history of ever that doesn’t promote himself. Seems like it’d be difficult to obtain sponsors that way but you guys are teaching class here. 

Should I do a Google search for “random snowmobile forum user who says he races”? 

Here's a hint... and he did very well in his class with about 40hp less than his competition.  He also races bikes as he's already mentioned to you in your I WANT thread...  

You still haven't said if you race :dunno:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1