2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

35 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I remember when deephaven used to say that..

I concur with it... and don't care who the manufacturer is... or what kind of mechanical bound to fail product we're discussing. 

52 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I concur with it... and don't care who the manufacturer is... or what kind of mechanical bound to fail product we're discussing. 

I am not scared 

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

I am not scared 

04/01/2023 :roflcrying:

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I am, no fucking way I would buy one 

would you by a FMY SkiDoo or Polaris?

fairly certain I already know the answer... 9_9 

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

04/01/2023 :roflcrying:

would you by a FMY SkiDoo or Polaris?

fairly certain I already know the answer... 9_9 

No way.  Not just limited to sleds either but cars, appliances, and shit from other companies that put way more resources into ensuring they don't have engineering snafus than Cat.

I said I'd never buy a first year sled again after my '96 ZRT 600, even though it technically wasn't the first year. Had some issues with that sled. My '20 ZR 8 is the first year with the "updated" c-tech and it's been good. The Catalyst chassis will have a year of consumer use out of the way by the time the big bore is released so at least the chassis won't be brand new by then.

2 hours ago, soeaster said:

I said I'd never buy a first year sled again after my '96 ZRT 600, even though it technically wasn't the first year. Had some issues with that sled. My '20 ZR 8 is the first year with the "updated" c-tech and it's been good. The Catalyst chassis will have a year of consumer use out of the way by the time the big bore is released so at least the chassis won't be brand new by then.

Our 96 was just ok but holy crap our 98 was a monster and then I bought a 2001 and it was a total dog. Our ZRT 97 800 was a lake rocket. Yes, the 96 Z6 was just ok.  

first year F7s are still sought after fwiw.

first year twinspar was pretty issue free

Say all you want about the 12 pro-cross but the were/are  more reliable than any of the first 2 or 3 years of any polaris engine released after the 02

Edited by krom

1 hour ago, Badger** said:

Our 96 was just ok but holy crap our 98 was a monster and then I bought a 2001 and it was a total dog. Our ZRT 97 800 was a lake rocket. Yes, the 96 Z6 was just ok.  

My '96 was a rocket when the carb switches weren't causing backfires and broken reeds. That, a broken motor mount, a pipe issue... Once everything was ironed out, it was a hell of a runner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, krom said:

first year F7s are still sought after fwiw.

first year twinspar was pretty issue free

Say all you want about the 12 pro-cross but the were/are  more reliable than any of the first 2 or 3 years of any polaris engine released after the 02

Comparing a chassis with a motor is interesting.  First year Cat 800 is so great they didn't make it a year later.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Comparing a chassis with a motor is interesting.  First year Cat 800 is so great they didn't make it a year later.  

Wasn't strictly comparing chassis to engines, I didn't feel like looking up all the first years for poos abortions, but its easy remember how bad the engines are, from the first 800 twin with crank case/shaft problems, up to the 840, with crank shaft problems the fusion 755-900 and all 10-15 versions of the 800.

Speaking of 800's that didn't last a year, poo had 5 or 6 new 800's in the first few years of theirs.  The first year didn't make it to the snow till feb. by that fall, new pistons, cylinders, head, etc had been released.  New top end components tunes etc designed and released once or twice a year, until they changed the cases, and made the new cylinders not fit the older bottom ends.  An entire industry of built up re-designing, repairing, and selling upgraded parts/fix kits.
Indy Dan prob bought a private jet with the money made selling upgraded engines with a warranty.

First year firecats, also had first year laydown engines

First year twin spar, was also first year for the 800, 1000, and 1100 engines.

The original 800 was 07-09, than changed to the HO for 2010-2016.

DSI 800 was 18-19 changed for increased hp, and reduced emissions in 20

Edited by krom

Cat knew they'd fail so they used other suppliers.  Was smart.  Any of the three and first year big bores built by them are bad.  No interest ever.

Have to say it's funny how far back in time you go to make a point though.  Seems to me using shit from nearly 20 years ago as your reference tells a different picture than you are trying to tell.

9 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Cat knew they'd fail so they used other suppliers.  Was smart.  Any of the three and first year big bores built by them are bad.  No interest ever.

Have to say it's funny how far back in time you go to make a point though.  Seems to me using shit from nearly 20 years ago as your reference tells a different picture than you are trying to tell.

going back 20+ years to show that the 840 clusterfuck/abortion isn't a one off event, its every new engine poo releases over 601 cc.  It also shows how relatively problem free cats have been over the same period.

Even the first year dsi engine was mechanically very reliable (far more so than the 850, or 840)

Edited by krom

9 hours ago, Deephaven said:

You really construct your own little world don't you?  Whatever makes you feel better and reinforce what you want the world to be.  I think the 18-19 cat 800 was a very good motor.  I actually had one.  I would have liked a little better mapping at low throttle when cold.  But that's getting pretty nitpicky.  It even survived just fine having a massive amount of snow and water going through it.  Yes they made a gen2 in 2020 but I don't know they did it because the first version was "bad".  It's not like they did some blatant QC measures like pinning or gluing in bearing races that were a well known problem.  If you have any actual proof that they made a new one for durability reasons, I'd love to see it.  And it's not like they had a major marketing campaign saying it had industry leading durability before it was ever out and turned out to be the most problematic motor in a generation.. like another company.  For someone that claims to not be brand loyal, you sure seem to have a hard on for one brand and it's the one with arguably the least amount of issues.  Hmmm not brand biased at all keep telling yourself that..

New here.. Have to say I read this whole 54 pages and some of you guys are fucking ruthless. Not many posts about the Catalyst.. Bunch of arguing and name calling .. I do look forward to Cats new sled, and found a couple posts that were informative.  Thanks 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

You really construct your own little world don't you?  

Out of my riding group we are 4 for 4 of dead cat 800's and only one Poo 800 with zero 850 failures.  5x as many Poo's as well.  All failures were under 3k mi except the Poo which was slightly over.  If that is my own constructed little world then yes.  

Same group zero failed Suzuki's and a ton of them.  For next year none will be on Cats anymore though excluding 2nd sleds and such.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Out of my riding group we are 4 for 4 of dead cat 800's and only one Poo 800 with zero 850 failures.  5x as many Poo's as well.  All failures were under 3k mi except the Poo which was slightly over.  If that is my own constructed little world then yes.  

Same group zero failed Suzuki's and a ton of them.  For next year none will be on Cats anymore though excluding 2nd sleds and such.

Lies.  You probably sabotaged them.  Definitely more to the story