2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

I do know of several 2012 Cat pro cross still going strong. Will agree they should have limited it to one model. Would have given more time to correct the known issues before building. Hence the Catalyst only being offered in the 600.

6 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

About twice as good as the Polaris 900 Fusion. Great name for that dumpster fire!

Agree! Or Worse- Fusion 700- Shit show engulfed in a dumpster fire...... Had one of those piles as well. 

2 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Agree! Or Worse- Fusion 700- Shit show engulfed in a dumpster fire...... Had one of those piles as well. 

Totally forgot about that monstrosity. What was it, a one year build? Feel bad for you on that one.

2 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I do know of several 2012 Cat pro cross still going strong. Will agree they should have limited it to one model. Would have given more time to correct the known issues before building. Hence the Catalyst only being offered in the 600.

I do think you're right on in that line of thinking. Cat knows all too well how things went with the 12's, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they are being conservative with the Catalyst release. By having limited models with a single engine, it reduces Cat's potential exposure if something major does come up. And allows the dealers to service in a timely manner a limited number of sleds. Obviously, Polaris is in a another realm in terms of their recall- it has to be an absolute nightmare for Polaris and their dealer network.   

1 minute ago, ZR6000RR said:

Totally forgot about that monstrosity. What was it, a one year build? Feel bad for you on that one.

Single year. It was THAT BAD. Imagine the bath I took when I tried to sell that pile of shit once I realized just how bad it really was. By then, everyone new about it, and I couldn't hardly give it away. 

I had some rather angry posts on HCS at that time related to that pile of garbage. I swore at that time that I'd never ever own another Polaris product.....

27 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

I do think you're right on in that line of thinking. Cat knows all too well how things went with the 12's, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they are being conservative with the Catalyst release. By having limited models with a single engine, it reduces Cat's potential exposure if something major does come up. And allows the dealers to service in a timely manner a limited number of sleds. Obviously, Polaris is in a another realm in terms of their recall- it has to be an absolute nightmare for Polaris and their dealer network.   

That was 110% Claude.. he wanted something big for the 50th and pushed everything for the most part that was 80% in development out the door. 

The wildcat line they were trying to figure out how to keep the wheels on them without snapping stub shafts off while they were still rolling down the line. Between D&P's Dean Bulloch , and the things we developed with the race program with made them last until you went to larger wheels.  Claude and the bean counters gave the wildcat group parts from the mud pro and said make a side by side with this... with zero re-tool budget aside from exhaust electrical and chassis components. It was so innovative yet built with sub par parts. 

but I'm an idiot that doesn't know about torquing clutches...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

That was 110% Claude.. he wanted something big for the 50th and pushed everything for the most part that was 80% in development out the door. 

The wildcat line they were trying to figure out how to keep the wheels on them without snapping stub shafts off while they were still rolling down the line. Between D&P's Dean Bulloch , and the things we developed with the race program with made them last until you went to larger wheels.  Claude and the bean counters gave the wildcat group parts from the mud pro and said make a side by side with this... with zero re-tool budget aside from exhaust electrical and chassis components. It was so innovative yet built with sub par parts. 

You are an idiot. Over torquing causing cracking causing catastrophic failures. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

I'm encouraged by Cat's conservative approach to this release. They learned something from the '12's, and know how much is at stake if they mess this up. We'll know a year from now whether the Cat is back or not. The '12 were very inconsistent- there was a steep learning curve for Cat, the dealers, and owners to make them reliable. Regardless of my bashing, I hope that the Catalyst drives innovation in this market and enhances competition. 

I'll take a serious look at the Catalyst a year from now. They should have worked the bugs out, added additional engine and accessory options, and have a competitive display to help lure back their former customers from Poo and Doo (people like me). 

84yuu (1).jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

What bolt(s) are we talking about.

If it is the main clutch bolt, I highly doubt it.

If it is the bolts for the cover, I think you'd more likely see the failure as a result of uneven clamp load, either by not using a quality torque wrench or by using poor assembly/torqueing practice.  

It could also be from casting and machining too, but in terms of torque, I'm sticking with them being a shitty (or ignorant)

Buddy had an ADAPT that went through the hands of some dugga dugga tech in their shop.  Dude overtightened the main and locked up the bearing.  That one kinda sucked.  They loaded it with a forklift and we didn't know until we were up north and ready to ride. Funny thing, that clutch ran fine otherwise except for the center bearing.  I think he had another 700 miles on before it was swapped.

I'm sorta obsessive about torque specs.  I scribble them on the clutch near the specific fastener.

20220201_182003.thumb.jpg.275ebd6cc76db40747082024ca03d993.jpg

The ADAPT cover bolts have a higher torque than previous covers.  The cover also flexes a bit more on the ADAPT.  I can see rookie crankers breaking covers by torquing a couple with other bolts still loose.  You really need to ease these covers down with even force.

I know a little about the kablango pic @Not greg b posted.  I wish I knew why it happened.  It was a stock clutch with 3,300 easy miles and 77.2 hours.  The little "pop" happened on a deer hunter trail with lots of up down speeds and go fast sections mixed in.  The stationary sheave just didn't want to stick around for the ride.

Edited by favoritos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

If you are evenly over-torqued and used a basic torqueing strategy/sequence, probably not.  

Most people I know dont even own a torque wrench. 

51 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

so how do you and your friends torque things?

48 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

OMG, lol.  Your stupidity never amazes me Jim. Alex is more capable than anyone at your dealer.

Can't be true, he has the best dealer... The BEST 

15 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

9_9

33 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Not surprising, no one here has ever thought you had the skill, or mental capacity to use one...

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, krom said:

Not surprising, no one here has ever thought you had the skill, or mental capacity to use one...

1/2, 3/8 and a quarter. I use them religiously on all my toys. Not much use for a custodian I suppose?

10 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

1/2, 3/8 and a quarter. I use them religiously on all my toys. Not much use for a custodian I suppose?

I have probably $2000 in torque wrenches in my shop and another $1m in torque equipment at work.  

It wouldn't surprise me if we have well in excess of $1m if torque equipment at work.

If I can't finger it out, I ask one of the nurds that reports to me for a bit of help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Yes .. that’s why I have more short course race wins and podiums to name in a crew than anyone else within arctic cat offroad including Robby Gordon you dipshit. 

8C359AA5-3376-4C46-97E1-27DAD9167070.jpeg

3A718213-F428-4194-81BF-95E478579724.jpeg

43C78E38-B6FA-49A7-BEA0-DA1C888C8CDC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fortune46x said:

Yes .. that’s why I have more short course race wins and podiums to name in a crew than anyone else within arctic cat offroad including Robby Gordon you dipshit. 

8C359AA5-3376-4C46-97E1-27DAD9167070.jpeg

3A718213-F428-4194-81BF-95E478579724.jpeg

43C78E38-B6FA-49A7-BEA0-DA1C888C8CDC.jpeg

Good for you, fuck face!

22 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

construction-worker-holding-out-stop-sign-AX1EE1.jpg

Fuck you dumb! Those people you make fun of, probably make more money than you. Traffic safety is not a joke. I almost wish my wage, per hour was at there rate. Public record btw. Maybe you would want to change occupations. 

11 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Fuck you dumb! Those people you make fun of, probably make more money than you. Traffic safety is not a joke. I almost wish my wage, per hour was at there rate. Public record btw. Maybe you would want to change occupations. 

FPLLY8SVsAAZlZx.jpg

• Haha 1