2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

2 hours ago, krom said:

We are excited to announce that we will be releasing more information on the CATALYST platform tomorrow, December 6! 

This launch, which is part of our phased release strategy, will include an interactive 360-degree 3D model that will feature up-close information on the CATALYST platform. It will highlight ergonomics, the innovative lay down engine and more! 

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snow/catalyst

Any recalls yet?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Saw improved cooling mentioned. That's been an issue with the procrosses in our group.

@Not greg b 

@favoritos 

Otb... I certainly hope lighter cooler doesn't mean less of it.  

The reduction was accomplished using less plastics and parts, lighter seats, a new intake configuration (with a better seal), use of the ADAPT CVT system, shorter and lighter weight heat exchanger and a new belt drive system with less than half the components of the current chaincase system. The engine is also mounted with a long carbon fiber composite Torque Control Link (TCL) with integrated clutch guard which decreases weight and improves engine vibration dampening.

Stainless Exhaust ftw though :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

@Not greg b 

@favoritos 

Otb... I certainly hope lighter cooler doesn't mean less of it.  

The reduction was accomplished using less plastics and parts, lighter seats, a new intake configuration (with a better seal), use of the ADAPT CVT system, shorter and lighter weight heat exchanger and a new belt drive system with less than half the components of the current chaincase system. The engine is also mounted with a long carbon fiber composite Torque Control Link (TCL) with integrated clutch guard which decreases weight and improves engine vibration dampening.

Stainless Exhaust ftw though :thumbsup:

5C55FD9C-BC72-4EAD-91A6-EBCEC50B594B.jpeg

Really no new info here.  Cat website has poorly phrased anecdotes and ACi is still the premiere source of Cat related content.

Was hoping to get some engine and belt drive details as well as some more specific rear skid info.

Confirmation of 10% weight loss is great but still vague. Impressive they dropped that much while going with a steel bulkhead

5 minutes ago, Premium said:

Really no new info here.  Cat website has poorly phrased anecdotes and ACi is still the premiere source of Cat related content.

Was hoping to get some engine and belt drive details as well as some more specific rear skid info.

Confirmation of 10% weight loss is great but still vague. Impressive they dropped that much while going with a steel bulkhead

I am guessing the steel part is very small. The sub frame up front on the current sled isn’t very big. The only down side would be rust over time for people that don’t maintain anything 

Steel isn't heavier I don't think.  I know with dirt bikes that the ktms are steel and they are also the lightest bike.  Steel is also better with nvh type stuff.  With cycling, steel frames always ride way better than aluminum or carbon.  Complete rigidity is not desirable imo.

I thought it was interesting they said the center of belt drive is adjustable.  Does that mean the jackshaft moves?

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

Steel isn't heavier I don't think.  I know with dirt bikes that the ktms are steel and they are also the lightest bike. 

Definitely depends on the type of steel.  Unlike the past there are a ton of varieties available now.  Most steel cars use more than 15 types of steel to make up the body in white.

Steel is also better with nvh type stuff. 

It can be, but isn't always.  Knowing the type of steel and the geometry will determine the NVH characteristics.  Lots of headway in shape these days that are super helpful with NVH.

With cycling, steel frames always ride way better than aluminum or carbon.  Complete rigidity is not desirable imo.

Absolutely true.  I fucking hate aluminum hard tails.  Strength to stiffness ratio can be way more compliantly made with steel than more exotic materials.

I thought it was interesting they said the center of belt drive is adjustable.  Does that mean the jackshaft moves?

Would love to see more details on that as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Steel isn't heavier I don't think.  I know with dirt bikes that the ktms are steel and they are also the lightest bike.  Steel is also better with nvh type stuff.  With cycling, steel frames always ride way better than aluminum or carbon.  Complete rigidity is not desirable imo.

When referring to the steel I was thinking of the other OEMs use of a cast aluminum bulkhead in an effort to save weight. I agree steel does have unique advantages, so to match or beat the competition on dry weight while employing steel in critical areas is definitely a plus. A buddy of mine with an Assault broke a motor mount which apparently attached to a tab on the cast Al bulkhead...whole sled had to be taken apart. Fortunately for him it was still under warranty.

I'm also curious about the belt drive...wish they had more technical info for us on this "deep dive"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I am guessing the steel part is very small. The sub frame up front on the current sled isn’t very big. The only down side would be rust over time for people that don’t maintain anything 

2 hours ago, Premium said:

When referring to the steel I was thinking of the other OEMs use of a cast aluminum bulkhead in an effort to save weight. I agree steel does have unique advantages

I'm also curious about the belt drive...wish they had more technical info for us on this "deep dive"

If you look at the "360" image you'll see the steel "bulkhead" outlined.
Think I posted it a long time ago in this thread, but the chassis is a tube steel space frame with castings/forgings at the nodes/pickup points.

most of what is considered the "bulkhead" on other machines is just plastic bodywork on the new cat.

image.thumb.png.51ad95353f97129ab692967b3c31d49c.png

If you feel like doing a patent search it should turn up the belt tensioning setup they are going to use, IDK if its granted or still just pending though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krom said:

If you look at the "360" image you'll see the steel "bulkhead" outlined.
Think I posted it a long time ago in this thread, but the chassis is a tube steel space frame with castings/forgings at the nodes/pickup points.

most of what is considered the "bulkhead" on other machines is just plastic bodywork on the new cat.

image.thumb.png.51ad95353f97129ab692967b3c31d49c.png

If you feel like doing a patent search it should turn up the belt tensioning setup they are going to use, IDK if its granted or still just pending though

Should be an easier fix when you smash it. Remove the tubes and put a new front structure on it.