2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

20 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Jim has about 600 comments on about 4 different threads on hcs saying the exact same thing. People having reasonable pro/con conversations and he's gotta do his self-appointed textron-supporting moderator thing.

well, he ain't right in the head

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

I tried to buy one. I doubt they will do anything with it this winter. If they do it will probably be late winter. The only reason I think they released it was to get some kind of good publicity as the snow side has to be tanking. My dealer went from selling 40 sleds a year to 0 in about 3 years. 

I’m 3rd on the list behind Krom and Taperk at my dealer if they show up this winter which I doubt

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I’m 3rd on the list behind Krom and Taperk at my dealer if they show up this winter which I doubt

They have a contest going where they might let you ride it in the photo shoot. It asked a couple questions. I responded with you won’t let me buy it so will you at least let me ride it? I remember 5 or so years ago when Textron released a product at haydays that wasn’t finished, they hyped it and wouldn’t sell it to you. They ended up canning it before trying to sell it. I hope the sleds do not meet the same death 

Edited by Not greg b

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I remember 5 or so years ago when Textron released a product at haydays that wasn’t finished, they hyped it and wouldn’t sell it to you. They ended up canning it before trying to sell it. I hope the sleds do not meet the same death 

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Snow bike?

I think that it is safe to say that the new Catalyst is still in a very early form. No gauge, etc.... They probably do have a lot of work to do before it is ready to see the trail. 

3 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Snow bike?

I think that it is safe to say that the new Catalyst is still in a very early form. No gauge, etc.... They probably do have a lot of work to do before it is ready to see the trail. 

Yes the bike. All the sleds had gauges in them them at haydays. I was told they lacked engines 

• Thanks 1

no engines in the ones at haydays.  and I don't think the engine in the pic on the website accurately shows the mounting position at all.  With the engine mounted as shown, the CG won't be much if any lower than on the procross, but if you change the crankcase, and injection system, you can significantly lower the cg of the sled.

Think about where the air intake is on the new chassis, and look at the pics of the body work off, then tell me how the intake would work if they have to route the air over the engine, turn it around, and bring it down like in the procross, and why would you want all that extra weight up high.....

19 hours ago, Not greg b said:

They have a contest going where they might let you ride it in the photo shoot. It asked a couple questions. I responded with you won’t let me buy it so will you at least let me ride it? I remember 5 or so years ago when Textron released a product at haydays that wasn’t finished, they hyped it and wouldn’t sell it to you. They ended up canning it before trying to sell it. I hope the sleds do not meet the same death 

a mountain sled photo shoot... again, the idiots in marketing fail to see the big picture.

why don't they do an invite ride on the new trail sleds like Polaris does?   wait, again... idiots in marketing.

41 minutes ago, krom said:

no engines in the ones at haydays.  and I don't think the engine in the pic on the website accurately shows the mounting position at all.  With the engine mounted as shown, the CG won't be much if any lower than on the procross, but if you change the crankcase, and injection system, you can significantly lower the cg of the sled.

Think about where the air intake is on the new chassis, and look at the pics of the body work off, then tell me how the intake would work if they have to route the air over the engine, turn it around, and bring it down like in the procross, and why would you want all that extra weight up high.....

Isn't more to do with how the engine is layed out in the chassis?
Instead of the jugs facing directly up they might lay down, with the gas tank central on top.
This would keep alot of the weight right under the rider.

I'd imagine its something like that, because to drop a 900cc or so in there, and fit this criteria they are talking about, the motor will have to lay down.

On 9/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, mnstang said:

So are they able to race this in the Cor series this year?  That would be good durability testing and interesting to see how it compares, but isn't there a production rule?

You will see a limited number racing Pro Open this season.  

10 hours ago, stinkipinki said:

Isn't more to do with how the engine is layed out in the chassis?
Instead of the jugs facing directly up they might lay down, with the gas tank central on top.
This would keep alot of the weight right under the rider.

I'd imagine its something like that, because to drop a 900cc or so in there, and fit this criteria they are talking about, the motor will have to lay down.

lay down towards the rear, or towards the front....

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I see simple gym and gym made some new friends on hcs. Hcs was less inviting to those nice guys than the freedom sledder crew 

That dipshit @ZR6000RR talks out of his ass and this Jimmy decided it was time to hoof him in the front butt. 

Hes the smartest guy in the room but cant tell the difference between 3 and 6 miles. hes more retarded than me!

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 7:22 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

a mountain sled photo shoot... again, the idiots in marketing fail to see the big picture.

why don't they do an invite ride on the new trail sleds like Polaris does?   wait, again... idiots in marketing.

How does one get on that ride?  I've been pestering Polaris for several years and all they'll tell me is "talk to your dealer".

2 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

How does one get on that ride?  I've been pestering Polaris for several years and all they'll tell me is "talk to your dealer".

@Bontz@Doug @Jerry 976and @SayatodaU.P.eh? might be able to answer.  I highly doubt Polaris is going to invite me for anything, Cat too.  :lol:

• Haha 1

My dealer has been pestering Cat for years.  He says that they should put anything they are thinking about releasing under my butt for a season to see what breaks.

I don't go banging off rocks and trees.  I never do engine mods.  I do like putting on some "brisk" miles.  For some reason, the mashed potato minefield in the U.P. is hard on sleds if you use the flipper.

Cat has generally kept their testing in house.  I get that.  It would probably be beneficial to also put some of their new tech under real riders before full production.  Stuff breaks.  Some ideas are just plain bad.  Fix the problem before everyone else has the same dang sled.

• Like 2

The first time Polaris did the "sneak peek" ride was for the Rush ... and that was in the spring of 2009.  That one was a dealer invitation ... I think each dealer, depending on their size, was allowed to invite X number of customers.  The AXYS sneak peek wasn't dealer invitation, it was through Polaris and whatever program they had at that time (it was more about a social media presence than anything), and it wasn't necessarily offered up to Polaris specific customers.  After that, they did a few more rides but have gone more to the Ambassadors than anything else.

When we were contacted by Polaris to offer up names from HCS, we did include invites to guys (and gals) that weren't riding Polaris sleds.  I even tried to get @krom and @Tommcatto go!! LOL  But if you guys remember Jester, he was one ... and so was Ashley ("Crashley") and even @DriftBustawas on the ride where they intro'd the new Assault.  So it wasn't just a bunch of Polaris homers.

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bontz said:

The first time Polaris did the "sneak peek" ride was for the Rush ... and that was in the spring of 2009.  That one was a dealer invitation ... I think each dealer, depending on their size, was allowed to invite X number of customers.  The AXYS sneak peek wasn't dealer invitation, it was through Polaris and whatever program they had at that time (it was more about a social media presence than anything), and it wasn't necessarily offered up to Polaris specific customers.  After that, they did a few more rides but have gone more to the Ambassadors than anything else.

When we were contacted by Polaris to offer up names from HCS, we did include invites to guys (and gals) that weren't riding Polaris sleds.  I even tried to get @krom and @Tommcatto go!! LOL  But if you guys remember Jester, he was one ... and so was Ashley ("Crashley") and even @DriftBustawas on the ride where they intro'd the new Assault.  So it wasn't just a bunch of Polaris homers.

i passed on a few of those rides, but yes, i was invited multiple times to get a non pootards opinion

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

My dealer has been pestering Cat for years.  He says that they should put anything they are thinking about releasing under my butt for a season to see what breaks.

I don't go banging off rocks and trees.  I never do engine mods.  I do like putting on some "brisk" miles.  For some reason, the mashed potato minefield in the U.P. is hard on sleds if you use the flipper.

Cat has generally kept their testing in house.  I get that.  It would probably be beneficial to also put some of their new tech under real riders before full production.  Stuff breaks.  Some ideas are just plain bad.  Fix the problem before everyone else has the same dang sled.

they could round robin a new 600 between you, myself, @Not greg band then he could hand it over to their 50mph and under marketing guru @ZR6000RR

:lolz:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

they could round robin a new 600 between you, myself, @Not greg band then he could hand it over to their 50mph and under marketing guru @ZR6000RR

:lolz:

I will test that cooling system and belt drive in down town Merrill. If that bare pavement snowmobile route doesn’t melt the belt, nothing will