Anyone have a sauna at home?

Our last place I built a sauna/change room/ hot tub on deck with roof over top. The wood fired sauna was awesome. Fast forward to this house I put an IR sauna in the house. No comparison to a nice wood fired or even electric but it's great for a few beers and a sweat once a week. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, HSR said:

Our last place I built a sauna/change room/ hot tub on deck with roof over top. The wood fired sauna was awesome. Fast forward to this house I put an IR sauna in the house. No comparison to a nice wood fired or even electric but it's great for a few beers and a sweat once a week. 

I like the idea of the electric but the instant heat of the IR's are the direction I'm leaning. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I had one in the house I built in “99. Like the hot tub, it became another one of those things. :lol: 

Whirlpool tub in my master is probably the biggest waste of money in my house.   I've used it like 5 times in 14 years.  :lol:  

I used my outdoor hot tub all the time till the fucker started leaking from underneath and basically was told they didn't think they could fix it.   Hopefully my insurance co will come thru with a replacement.  Adjuster made it sound like its covered.  :fluffy:

Edited by Highmark

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I like the idea of the electric but the instant heat of the IR's are the direction I'm leaning. 

IR still takes awhile to heat up. My sauna will reach 152* but that takes 1.5-2 hrs to heat up.

Just now, Highmark said:

Whirlpool tub in my master is probably the biggest waste of money in my house.   I've used it like 5 times in 14 years.  :lol:  

I used my outdoor hot tub all the time till the fucker started leaking from underneath and basically was told they didn't think they could fix it.   Hopefully my insurance co will come thru with a replacement. 

My outdoor unit became a giant, $6500 mouse haven. They stayed toasty all winter. 

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I used my outdoor hot tub all the time till the fucker started leaking from underneath and basically was told they didn't think they could fix it.   Hopefully my insurance co will come thru with a replacement. 

That's where Arctic Spa tubs are nice,they insulate the tub walls,not spray foam the tub,so you can visually see the entire tub and jets, 

1 minute ago, HSR said:

That's where Arctic Spa tubs are nice,they insulate the tub walls,not spray foam the tub,so you can visually see the entire tub and jets, 

I had a Sundance. The mice fucking loved burrowing through all that foam. :lol: It was like the Pyramid of Giza. They even buried their dead in there. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I used my outdoor hot tub all the time till the fucker started leaking from underneath and basically was told they didn't think they could fix it.   Hopefully my insurance co will come thru with a replacement.  Adjuster made it sound like its covered.  :fluffy:

I had a wirlpool tub at my last house and used it after every sled trip or snowstorm plowing.

We had a hot tub at the last house....I hated that fucking thing. The wife then asked me to recess it into the deck...so I did. Then it broke...the panel with the computer was up against a header I built so we had to jack it up and out for repair....I decided to rotate the tub so that would be a problem in the future..THEN the ozone generator broke and guess what...it was up against the header...out of the hole it came for repair....after much discussion with the tech we decided how to put it in the hole....that didn't help with the leak it developed...I re-decked the deck and said fuck this thing...

I will never buy one of those pieces of crap again...it was a high dollar dimension one spas not some Costco pos.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Yup, re did bathroom and tub went in garbage.  used it a few times in 20 years. 
People are always trying to give us their hot tubs, they never use .  Nope, don’t want it for free.  

Edited by Cold War

21 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

We had a hot tub at the last house....I hated that fucking thing. The wife then asked me to recess it into the deck...so I did. Then it broke...the panel with the computer was up against a header I built so we had to jack it up and out for repair....I decided to rotate the tub so that would be a problem in the future..THEN the ozone generator broke and guess what...it was up against the header...out of the hole it came for repair....after much discussion with the tech we decided how to put it in the hole....that didn't help with the leak it developed...I re-decked the deck and said fuck this thing...

I will never buy one of those pieces of crap again...it was a high dollar dimension one spas not some Costco pos.

my wife decided to refill ours during a snowstorm,  i hadn't had it filled because it needed a couple of things including a new control board.  she froze the fucker so after it leaked i cut ir up with a sawzall.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I had one in the house I built in “99. Like the hot tub, it became another one of those things. :lol: 

Been there done that.....the last home I bought came with a hot tub. One of my first priorities was to get rid of that thing.....gave it to the brother-in- law for free. Probably would have paid him to take it.:lol:

They got some use out of it and then the control board fried and it sits to this day.....but at least it's not my headache.

9 hours ago, Deephaven said:

My jacuzzi is life restoring.  Allows me to ride like I am 20 years younger and walk the next morning.  

My routine is a bit different...I eat a big meal, throw back 4 bourbons, sleep...wake up throw back 4 Advil have breakfast and out the door. 20 years younger?  Probably not, but ready to ride 😁

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

My routine is a bit different...I eat a big meal, throw back 4 bourbons, sleep...wake up throw back 4 Advil have breakfast and out the door. 20 years younger?  Probably not, but ready to ride 😁

I live on Ibu for certain activities like sledding and golf.   Wasn't gentle on my body when I was younger and now I pay the price.