22/23 cross country thread

35 minutes ago, Premium said:

Anyone know if they are fielding any Catalysts in the open classes today in Nisswa? Heard a rumor they might be?

Someone on HCS said not happening this weekend now

Screenshot_20230114_122724_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Sled_Hed

48 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Someone on HCS said not happening this weekend now

Screenshot_20230114_122724_Chrome.jpg

In that same thread someone posted a picture of an enduro sled with the catalyst body on it. Who is number 53 in ice racing? That’s who is in the picture. I am guessing it will be raced at eagle river next weekend 

10 hours ago, Premium said:

Anyone know if they are fielding any Catalysts in the open classes today in Nisswa? Heard a rumor they might be?

I will say I was wrong. 

When I was up in TRF and Pine Lake in December, the plan I had heard at that time was to have a Catalyst or 3 going for the terrain races, which I interpreted to mean all terrain races.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the competition's machines have caught up... their results in Pro Stock the past couple years don't lie. 

Herf's the best... 

How do you know all this?  How do you know how much is rider and how much is machine?  Funny how when cat sleds win, it's because they have the best riders.  When cat sleds don't win, it's because the machines suck.  Out of the hater handbook.

If you're not riding with these guys I don't get how you can determine who is the best guy and what machine is best.  Or at least watching the races closely. 

How do you know other riders aren't getting better at a faster rate?  You think they just do nothing and show up the same?  These are all people.

I would question if a guy like Herfindahl who is trying to win a championship would even want to screw around with experimenting on a totally different machine mid season with no testing.  That seems wreckless to me as far as a championship.  Professional racers don't just hop on a machine and go, they have to develop comfort with the machine and that takes alot of testing.  I'm sure he has a lot of comfort and predictability with his current machines.

I think I saw Zach was leading after lap 1 in nisswa.  So was cat the best sled in lap one and then hot garbage after that?  Or did conditions change and favor another machine's setup better? Or did a rider tighten up?  Or did a rider get more tired than another rider was? Or did another rider apply what they learned from lap one better?  Or any number of other things that can happen in racing.  It's so stupid to attribute all success or lack of success to the machine.  You don't understand racing if that is the case.  You really need to give these racers way more credit.  So stupid to talk about it as this or that manufacturer winning.  I don't know what it is with snowmobilers that they are so blind to the racers.  You think someone like me is all brand biased, I may be but I'm not dumb enough to look at race results (from only one or two classes to boot) and then determine the best machine from that.  Or dumb enough to think there is one best machine for all riders.  Or dumb enough to think that what these racers do with their machine or what they desire from their machine is anything like what a non racer wants from their machine or does with theirs.  A lot of dumb.

Edited by mnstang

29 minutes ago, mnstang said:

How do you know all this?  How do you know how much is rider and how much is machine?  Funny how when cat sleds win, it's because they have the best riders.  When cat sleds don't win, it's because the machines suck.  Out of the hater handbook.

If you're not riding with these guys I don't get how you can determine who is the best guy and what machine is best.  Or at least watching the races closely. 

How do you know other riders aren't getting better at a faster rate?  You think they just do nothing and show up the same?  These are all people.

I would question if a guy like Herfindahl who is trying to win a championship would even want to screw around with experimenting on a totally different machine mid season with no testing.  That seems wreckless to me as far as a championship.  Professional racers don't just hop on a machine and go, they have to develop comfort with the machine and that takes alot of testing.  I'm sure he has a lot of comfort and predictability with his current machines.

I think I saw Zach was leading after lap 1 in nisswa.  So was cat the best sled in lap one and then hot garbage after that?  Or did conditions change and favor another machine's setup better? Or did a rider tighten up?  Or did a rider get more tired than another rider was? Or did another rider apply what they learned from lap one better?  Or any number of other things that can happen in racing.  It's so stupid to attribute all success or lack of success to the machine.  You don't understand racing if that is the case.  You really need to give these racers way more credit.  So stupid to talk about it as this or that manufacturer winning.  I don't know what it is with snowmobilers that they are so blind to the racers.  You think someone like me is all brand biased, I may be but I'm not dumb enough to look at race results (from only one or two classes to boot) and then determine the best machine from that.  Or dumb enough to think there is one best machine for all riders.  Or dumb enough to think that what these racers do with their machine or what they desire from their machine is anything like what a non racer wants from their machine or does with theirs.  A lot of dumb.

You have better machines, better drivers, better wrenches, and Doo and Pol are throwing more money and resources into XC then they have in the past.

Doo is getting better race department support and their "factory" team is pretty much the old Christian Brothers sno-x wrenches.

Cat has a true factory team.  The support program isn't what it was even 5 years ago, but when you have new ownership, that is what happens.  

Polaris, you pretty much hitch your wagons to Bunkes or Hetteens, both of with offer great support (which are pretty much factory).  Their race director is a dickhead, but they have great support.  Reverings are a great family team and they do pretty much all their own wrenching.

I don't think Cat has really got "worse", but the other two have stepped up their game.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

You have better machines, better drivers, better wrenches, and Doo and Pol are throwing more money and resources into XC then they have in the past.

Doo is getting better race department support and their "factory" team is pretty much the old Christian Brothers sno-x wrenches.

Cat has a true factory team.  The support program isn't what it was even 5 years ago, but when you have new ownership, that is what happens.  

Polaris, you pretty much hitch your wagons to Bunkes or Hetteens, both of with offer great support (which are pretty much factory).  Their race director is a dickhead, but they have great support.  Reverings are a great family team and they do pretty much all their own wrenching.

I don't think Cat has really got "worse", but the other two have stepped up their game.

Polaris has a better machine now than they did three years ago.  Cat racers are essentially racing 2018's.   This happens.   

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

The relationship between machine capability vs rider talent will always be a hotly debated topic. There are times where it is readily apparent where either one may may fall proportionally. I think if one brand is cleaning up across all classes, that's a pretty good indication of machine superiority (as long as you account for sled participation #s).  Conversely, if only one guy is consistently winning on that machine (again accounting for sled participation #s), like Tucker Hibbert, we can safely assume his talent is superior.

In XC racing I think we have seen a shift from a once completely dominant Arctic Cat. Don't get me wrong, Cat still does really well overall. But as Racinfarmer said, I think the others have gained ground while Cat support has faltered....and the Procross is starting to show it's age. Good thing the Catalyst is here.

3 minutes ago, Premium said:

The relationship between machine capability vs rider talent will always be a hotly debated topic. There are times where it is readily apparent where either one may may fall proportionally. I think if one brand is cleaning up across all classes, that's a pretty good indication of machine superiority (as long as you account for sled participation #s).  Conversely, if only one guy is consistently winning on that machine (again accounting for sled participation #s), like Tucker Hibbert, we can safely assume his talent is superior.

In XC racing I think we have seen a shift from a once completely dominant Arctic Cat. Don't get me wrong, Cat still does really well overall. But as Racinfarmer said, I think the others have gained ground while Cat support has faltered....and the Procross is starting to show it's age. Good thing the Catalyst is here.

what is your point? 

:roflcrying:

wait, nevermind...

• Haha 1