Stop sale for all polaris sleds Because of Fire Hazzard

krom

Here is some good information posted by Excursion PSD on fuel and conductivity of ethanol fuel ages.  Not the Polaris fix but good information.

If you really want to get details click on the link.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255001707_Analysis_of_Underground_Storage_Tanks_System_Materials_to_Increased_Leak_Potential_Associated_with_E15_Fuel   

Phasem seperation.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, take it FWIW but I saw the latest video by that Jesse James Bonaduce guy (today) and he provided an update on what he supposedly has heard directly from Polaris reps recently.

Allegedly the fix is to pull the tank, as well as the fuel pump/sender assembly, and replace a "yet to be known" part & then reassemble. Supposedly the initial target for repair time is 90 minutes. Snowcheck sleds are likely to be fixed at the factory (that haven't been delivered yet) and shipping to be resumed very soon. In other words, it's not a fuel pump or tank replacement, which was a huge concern for many people (myself included).

My two cents ... and I've said it before ... I wouldn't jeopardize any riding time to have this fixed.  Ride your sled and schedule a time when you know it can be done & you're in and out of the dealership quickly.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Well, take it FWIW but I saw the latest video by that Jesse James Bonaduce guy (today) and he provided an update on what he supposedly has heard directly from Polaris reps recently.

Allegedly the fix is to pull the tank, as well as the fuel pump/sender assembly, and replace a "yet to be known" part & then reassemble. Supposedly the initial target for repair time is 90 minutes. Snowcheck sleds are likely to be fixed at the factory (that haven't been delivered yet) and shipping to be resumed very soon. In other words, it's not a fuel pump or tank replacement, which was a huge concern for many people (myself included).

My two cents ... and I've said it before ... I wouldn't jeopardize any riding time to have this fixed.  Ride your sled and schedule a time when you know it can be done & you're in and out of the dealership quickly.

Yup that's exactly what I'll be doing. My dealer is a very small, really a 5 man operation so with them selling 100+ sleds for a number of years I'm sure they will be overwhelmed.

37 minutes ago, HSR said:

Yup that's exactly what I'll be doing. My dealer is a very small, really a 5 man operation so with them selling 100+ sleds for a number of years I'm sure they will be overwhelmed.

Fix installed or not I'm riding.  Have a 2023 coming so that shouldn't be a problem. Keeping my 2021 home until I pick up the new sled.  2022 XCR I'll get that scheduled so there's no lost riding time and will be riding it regardless if the fix is installed or not.  Odds are I'll be doing the fix myself once my dealer has enough parts.

Heard they need to extend ground lead to the bottom of the tank.

As long as they have to pull the pump guys should have the sock changer at the time

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

im still betting on wiring

ethanol and certain wire coatings don't get along

Could be.  When Nascar switched to E15 we had to switch all the pumps over to all stainless piping and fittings.  We also had to change to a different filter but could use up our old inventory.  When tried to use the old filters they would lockdown after less than a day and not flow any fuel. 

Ethanol does more things to fuel and motors than is being published.

• Like 2

Gym has an information grapevine.  Gym's new sled is built and waiting for the new components before it leaves Rosseau MN.  Gym has been to Rosseau.  Gym found a local place that serves fantastic soup while you get a foot massage.  Gym is going to be patient.   

I saw a post from M&M (big dealer in MN) they had several '23 models available for sale & already had the fix done.  So it would appear things are looking better.

EDIT:  Here's the ad I saw

image.png.e6ccf897b8de5180508d04e8a8f2a9b5.png

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 3

• Gold Member
46 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I saw a post from M&M (big dealer in MN) they had several '23 models available for sale & already had the fix done.  So it would appear things are looking better.

image.png.e6ccf897b8de5180508d04e8a8f2a9b5.png

My local dealer in CT also has several that the recall is all set on. 

Talked to the owner and he told me to bring it in one these days and I can wait while they do it. Seems like things are defiantly looking better 

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

Same here.  Just left my dealer Freds Fastrac in Fond du lac Wisconsin.  They have 23's ready to go and more scheduled to arrive this week.

Then he gave my the bad news that the latest date he has for mine is January but that could change.  They has a few sleds with January dates and he hasn't looked yet but he's thinking it may be the color sunset red that may be the issue.  They've got a couple UTV's that got pushed out and they are sunset red.

The turbo sleds had date of mid to late November but again said that could change

8 hours ago, EvilBird said:

My local dealer in CT also has several that the recall is all set on. 

Talked to the owner and he told me to bring it in one these days and I can wait while they do it. Seems like things are defiantly looking better 

Who is the dealer?

• Gold Member
Just now, Tommcat said:

Who is the dealer?

Scranton. 

I admit they are not my first choice because I dont know what kind of techs they got, but I do personally know the owner from other business dealings so who knows guess ill give them a shot. 

Southside wanted me to drop it off next week, but admitted it might sit outside for a month . Fuck that id rather not do it. 

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

Scranton. 

I admit they are not my first choice because I dont know what kind of techs they got, but I do personally know the owner from other business dealings so who knows guess ill give them a shot. 

Southside wanted me to drop it off next week, but admitted it might sit outside for a month . Fuck that id rather not do it. 

Based on what we see....oof

• Like 1

Sounds like the recall is pulling the pump and crimping a chunk of insulation over the wires. I guess they have been doing that to the sleds on the line. Someone posted a video on YouTube hinting what it is after the show that was out east. 

• Like 1

Walbro as the supplier.....there's a name that I haven't heard in a while.....

I'm not in a rush. I still don't want my sled to be one of the first ones that is "fixed" by "Barney, the minimum wage high schooler" that will be doing this work. I'm going to wait until the dealerships get some experience doing this recall, and the process is fine tuned. 

If I need some other service done to my sled, I will have my VR-1 fixed while it's there. But I'm otherwise going to wait and see how this plays out..... 

If I don't post on FS or HCS any more.....than you'll know that I started on fire......

Fire have a great day.jpg

• Like 1

My sled that is recalled hasn’t moved since the spring. It has random crap piled on it. I will take it to the dealer to get fixed soon. At this point I don’t care what the fix is since I don’t have to deal with it. The super jag is recall free. Cat rules 

Edited by Not greg b

21 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Walbro as the supplier.....there's a name that I haven't heard in a while.....

I'm not in a rush. I still don't want my sled to be one of the first ones that is "fixed" by "Barney, the minimum wage high schooler" that will be doing this work. I'm going to wait until the dealerships get some experience doing this recall, and the process is fine tuned. 

If I need some other service done to my sled, I will have my VR-1 fixed while it's there. But I'm otherwise going to wait and see how this plays out..... 

If I don't post on FS or HCS any more.....than you'll know that I started on fire......

Fire have a great day.jpg

I still use walbro regularly for all the "trail" sled upgrades.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommcat said:

I still use walbro regularly for all the "trail" sled upgrades.

you find a reliable source for real ones?  Seems like more than half the ones for sale are fakes

1 hour ago, krom said:

you find a reliable source for real ones?  Seems like more than half the ones for sale are fakes

Yep, no issues getting them.

Several other shops are selling those chinese knock offs for full walbro retail though.