Anyone watch MX and the bike "claiming" incident at Loretta's

There is an ama rule that at certain amateur races, a racers's bike can be claimed by another racer for a dollar amount, in this case it was 2x the MSRP of the bike.

Seems that a rider by the name of Brennan S. tried to claim a bike ridden by H. Deegan.   He had the money, but there ended up being some controversy and the claim actually did not happen.

I guess, if the rule is there, and the rule has been followed, why not just give up the bike?

I know this is a rule in some levels of go-cart racing to keep everyone from spending ungodly amounts of money.  And it is not surprising when it happens and everyone just follows the rule, not sure why this was a big deal.

• Platinum Contributing Member
54 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I know there used to be a few here that ride and watch MX and SX.  Seems like this incident should have been handled differently.

Didn't this happen at unadilla this past weekend, rider tried to claim the motor, was just at a Yamaha dealer not far from dilla and the track manager from dilla was there, we were all in a group talking about it

8 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Just watched the vid, so I walked in mid Convo with the dealer and the guy from Dilla, so what I caught was the kids went up to get the motor and the Yamaha guy said it had to be broke down to make sure there were no metal fileings in it, came back said there was metal in it and he would give him a new motor, the kids said I'll take a new motor, but I bought that motor and it's mine..So Yamaha went to the kid and family and said if you don't lay off you're never getting anything from Yamaha again, no new units, no parts, nothing you're done if you pursue this,..and it was dropped,..Everyone there said that was a hot motor, no doubt..They also said at Dilla this past weekend, all the pro teams pulled out Saturday night after the pro race but Yamaha stayed which was odd..Sunday during the pro-am race, both Deegan boys after heat races, warm ups drove past their pits and rode to the pro pits where only the Yamaha factory rigs were and they pitted their bikes...

Yep...Been following all 20 different threads on the subject...lol...Black eye on the sport and how seedy the insiders can get...Next guy who wants to claim a bike needs to have it done by someone with NO ties to the sport, so they cant be blackballed...Amateur's racing $50k factory bikes @ Loretta Lynns, just to pad their championship numbers...lol...

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

I guess, if the rule there, and the rule has been followed, why not just give up the bike?

I know this is a rule in some levels of go-cart racing to keep everyone from spending ungodly amounts of money.  And it is not surprising when it happens and everyone just follows the rule, not sure why this was a big deal.

Claim rules don't mean shit if no one claims.  We have them in dirt car racing, but no one uses them.  

Hell, far too many racers bitch and piss and moan when someone pays for a good old teardown.

11 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Just watched the vid, so I walked in mid Convo with the dealer and the guy from Dilla, so what I caught was the kids went up to get the motor and the Yamaha guy said it had to be broke down to make sure there were no metal fileings in it, came back said there was metal in it and he would give him a new motor, the kids said I'll take a new motor, but I bought that motor and it's mine..So Yamaha went to the kid and family and said if you don't lay off you're never getting anything from Yamaha again, no new units, no parts, nothing you're done if you pursue this,..and it was dropped,..Everyone there said that was a hot motor, no doubt..They also said at Dilla this past weekend, all the pro teams pulled out Saturday night after the pro race but Yamaha stayed which was odd..Sunday during the pro-am race, both Deegan boys after heat races, warm ups drove past their pits and rode to the pro pits where only the Yamaha factory rigs were and they pitted their bikes...

Even though he recinded his claim, thats exactly what happened to him...Sponsors pulled out and the dealer took all the bikes back from him...

34 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

What's the deal with claiming someone's bike? Never heard of this before. I assume it's to promote fairness of some sort?

It is in a effort to keep costs down and affordable in racing. 

Why spend $10k on a motor when someone can claim in for $250?

Well intended, but I don't know if the last time I've heard of someone being claimed at the tracks around here.  

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It is in a effort to keep costs down and affordable in racing. 

Why spend $10k on a motor when someone can claim in for $250?

Well intended, but I don't know if the last time I've heard of someone being claimed at the tracks around here.  

What are the criteria for claiming this? I'd be pissed if some team just came claimed some engine I'd been working on for a race.

13 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

What are the criteria for claiming this? I'd be pissed if some team just came claimed some engine I'd been working on for a race.

I'm not sure for the MX bike stuff.  Every track and series is different too.  Many placed, you can't claim the first few weeks, the top 5 can't claim, but anyone on the lead lap outside the top 5 can claim, etc.  

Some places are cash or exchange (you get claimed, you can cough up your part for cash or exchange the part).

16 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Remember a guy trying to claim a motor years ago at a amateur hill climb. It rarely happens but sometimes someone tries.

This use to be a rule at our local stock car races.   At least in the bombers class.   Not sure if it was in Modified and Late Models. 

• Gold Member
18 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I'm not sure for the MX bike stuff.  Every track and series is different too.  Many placed, you can't claim the first few weeks, the top 5 can't claim, but anyone on the lead lap outside the top 5 can claim, etc.  

Some places are cash or exchange (you get claimed, you can cough up your part for cash or exchange the part).

17 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

OK but why have a claim? How does it make things better? Whats the point?

19 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

OK but why have a claim? How does it make things better? Whats the point?

Since you asked. We raced AMA flat track races for years and one class in particular turned into a builders class. You could outspend the the other guy basically buying a championship. 

Most amateur events don't have any way to measure the motor so a protest is useless. 

At this level of competition a work's motorcycle is 30-40k+ so spending say 17 to claim is a bargain. If you know someone might buy your cheater bike for cheap money it should keep you from doing it to being with.

Read the rules for the 50cc class sometime, it will make your head spin.

Back when we raced bomber class late 80’s early 90’s guys would stick loads of cash in motors and just walk everyone!

guys routinely tried claiming motors.

trick was to run hot motor couple races then when you knew you were about to get claimed you’d throw junker motor in for race or two!!

some good fights in the pits back then!!

I raced mx and hare scrambles for years, and this claiming motor’s shit is all new to me. Then again it was just any NESC and NETR/ sanctioned events in New England. I raced a couple of pro circuit built motors and they were fast as fuck. Anyone thinks they are going to come along and take my motor from me would have another thing coming 😆