Bearing grease

Doug

Guys that are wondering what grease to use basically a water resistant grease and there are a number of manufactures for this.  I use Amzoil synthetic water resistant grease and have not seen any failures on the sleds I've use this on.

20220816_093044.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a bunch of those little 3oz tubes for the small grease gun I use a needle fitting on, only to find a friggen CASE of these behind some other stuff on the old man had on a shelf - damnit!!

• 2 months later...

That is what my '21 looked like - I'll bet you can get quite a bit more in there with a needle grease gun behind that film that was on the seal... Same thing with a new replacement I got under warranty.  Fill 'er up Doug!

39 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

That is what my '21 looked like - I'll bet you can get quite a bit more in there with a needle grease gun behind that film that was on the seal... Same thing with a new replacement I got under warranty.  Fill 'er up Doug!

Did just that.  The driveshaft bearing was the same.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's real easy just to add a zerk to the stock cover.
I pull the outer seal off the bearing. Drill a hole in the cover and add a zerk fitting, 1/4-28 nut on the back side of the cover and you are done. This fall I pulled the cover to take a look, bearing full of grease and still good.

When I grease the bearing I just look up inside the tunnel, when I see a little grease starting to ooze out of the seal I stop.

20211025_064654.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 1995xcr600 said:

I had the same thing done, and drilled a small weep hole in the cover to let any excess grease out.  As long as you don't hammer the grease in too fast when it's cold, and give the track a couple spins it should be good.

When they use to have a grease zert and a speedometer cable if you used a pneumatic grease gun and hammer the grease in the grease would actually start going up the speedometer cable.

23 hours ago, MnDean said:

It's real easy just to add a zerk to the stock cover.
I pull the outer seal off the bearing. Drill a hole in the cover and add a zerk fitting, 1/4-28 nut on the back side of the cover and you are done. This fall I pulled the cover to take a look, bearing full of grease and still good.

When I grease the bearing I just look up inside the tunnel, when I see a little grease starting to ooze out of the seal I stop.

20211025_064654.jpg

When you're paying 15k+ for a new snowmobile wouldn't you like to think the fucking manufacturers in today's day and age could put in a grease zerk from the factory?

Other than the engine crank bearings, those 4 bearings on the jack and drive shafts are the most important bearings on a sled. I don't think it's asking too much is it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoughnut said:

When you're paying 15k+ for a new snowmobile wouldn't you like to think the fucking manufacturers in today's day and age could put in a grease zerk from the factory?

Other than the engine crank bearings, those 4 bearings on the jack and drive shafts are the most important bearings on a sled. I don't think it's asking too much is it?

Agree was no reason to remove the grease zerk.

In 2022 Polaris did change the bearing mount on the jackshaft to a matched bearing surface -vs- an as-cast.  They also changed the bearing spec that the 2022 sleds have more grease in the bearing to start compared to 2021.  This helps but it would still be better to have a grease zerk. 

As it is now it takes 20-30 minutes to loosen the track and pull the clutch and axle cap off to clean and grease the bearings.

• Like 1

Guys that have asked what to use to pick the seal out this is the Snap-on o-ring/seal pick set that I use.  There is some at a lower cost on Amazon.  Others have used a small screw drivers or a pick that works also 

Seal pic tools.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

2400 mile report - this bearing deflector is 100% the answer to the drive shaft bearing lasting like the jackshaft bearing with proper grease!  I just added some to this jackshaft bearing when it was new, this driveshaft bearing was packed with the AmsOil @Doug posted above!  I won’t open either one of these the rest of the season… not one drip of water came out when I removed the seal!

842BEA57-04DD-4E98-B774-4970B750F995.jpeg

DF69B5CD-F9BD-40B5-9A84-BDEF3F25F3AB.jpeg

0C25EA2F-83AD-4761-B99D-9B9FD0FFD98F.jpeg

• Like 3

Gym only rides current models under warranty.  Gym's dealer picks his sled up once a week to replace this bearing under warranty.  Gym pity's people that buy used Polaris snowmachines that aren't fixed constantly when they aren't under a stop ride recall.  Gym's dealer takes care of Gym because Gym buys a new sled every year.  Gym suggests this purchase method. 

5 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

2400 mile report - this bearing deflector is 100% the answer to the drive shaft bearing lasting like the jackshaft bearing with proper grease!  I just added some to this jackshaft bearing when it was new, this driveshaft bearing was packed with the AmsOil @Doug posted above!  I won’t open either one of these the rest of the season… not one drip of water came out when I removed the seal!

842BEA57-04DD-4E98-B774-4970B750F995.jpeg

DF69B5CD-F9BD-40B5-9A84-BDEF3F25F3AB.jpeg

0C25EA2F-83AD-4761-B99D-9B9FD0FFD98F.jpeg

1 hour ago, polaris7541 said:

been using Lucas marine myself  ,, the green stuff , so far so good

I've got about 1500 miles for the year and haven't checked mine yet.  @Mag6240you've got a good desgin to keep the water out.  Not even any discolor of the grease 👍

@polaris7541A good marine grease will work fine.  Any grease to that's application is to be water resistant will be good.

9 hours ago, Doug said:

I've got about 1500 miles for the year and haven't checked mine yet.  @Mag6240you've got a good desgin to keep the water out.  Not even any discolor of the grease 👍

This is without question the best that drive shaft bearing has ever looked at any 2400 mile check in well over 30k miles I have put on Axys sleds that I have owned.  

• 2 months later...

It will be interesting to look at my buds '22XCR drive bearing this spring with 4000+ miles. We regreased his jackshaft bearing this fall but it was fine. He didn't think it was worth checking the DS bearing even tho his '19 let go @ about 4K.

Edit/Add: Driveshaft bearing was toast or was gonna be in a couple more miles when we finally checked it Nov. 2023', Replaced with Northstar greasable which is similar to Mag6240.

Edited by Liggett

There was a noticeable difference in the amount of grease in the bearings between 2021 and 2022.  2022 and 2023 both have more grease in the bearing than 2021.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2023 at 6:36 PM, Doug said:

There was a noticeable difference in the amount of grease in the bearings between 2021 and 2022.  2022 and 2023 both have more grease in the bearing than 2021.

I put a new bearing on this driveshaft on my 2016 Pro-S last summer, with a modified jackshaft bearing deflector, and left what looked like a good amount of factory white grease in it - my son put 1100+ on it, looks perfect!  Didn’t even bother cleaning this one, just popped the seal back on.

821E444A-C7A0-41F4-827B-A2F1CC0A6D44.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

I put a new bearing on this driveshaft on my 2016 Pro-S last summer, with a modified jackshaft bearing deflector, and left what looked like a good amount of factory white grease in it - my son put 1100+ on it, looks perfect!  Didn’t even bother cleaning this one, just popped the seal back on.

821E444A-C7A0-41F4-827B-A2F1CC0A6D44.jpeg

That's a great idea you came up with.  Grease isn't even discolored so there's no moisture getting in there. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 5:29 PM, Doug said:

That's a great idea you came up with.  Grease isn't even discolored so there's no moisture getting in there. 👍

This is my 2021 with almost 6000 miles this season after cleaning and filling with AmsOil waterproof grease last spring.

43CE5B06-99EA-407B-AC51-398E2E0BF2D6.jpeg

3DD6DF84-31AF-4D1E-B9B5-F4503A6B3EEA.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 8:02 AM, Mag6240 said:

This is my 2021 with almost 6000 miles this season after cleaning and filling with AmsOil waterproof grease last spring.

43CE5B06-99EA-407B-AC51-398E2E0BF2D6.jpeg

3DD6DF84-31AF-4D1E-B9B5-F4503A6B3EEA.jpeg

Had to laugh over on HCS where Tricky Ricky is also using a deflector now.  Never mentioned anything about it until you posted about it.  By next year it will be something he developed and will be selling them.

Thanks for your original idea and pics  :good:

• Thanks 1