98 TCat restoration

Palu49

• 1 year later...

Well no racing funds or time going out the window as well as finding some parts that I desperately needed finally brought me back to this project. Console/steering support, steering rack, NOS belly pan and heat exchanger all bolted/riveted in tonight after I dug out all the parts and got set up. My biggest expense left besides a track is the suspension hardware I’m rounding up.

Hope to have under the hood buttoned up in the next week or so then move on to the suspension at least enough to get it sitting on the ground.

IMG_3147.jpeg

• Like 3

Had my first snafu going back together when I broke one of the studs that hold the frontmotor mounts in while chasing the threads since they didn’t cap them when it got powdercoated. It’s actually a bolt welded in from the bottom side to the bulkhead.

I’m thinking the best option is to cut it flush and drill the old bolt out and just thru bolt it, it won’t be visible anyhow. It would be a pain to get a grinder in to cut the welds off the old bolt head and I don’t want to grind a bunch of powdercoat off to weld a new one in and have to paint it. 

I got the chaincase and rear bumper in/on today and ordered new reflectors for the tunnel and belly pan from Napa. They say artco on the front but if you flip them over they have a Grote part number on them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joe_zrt said:

Starting to come together. 

Starting to, I thought I spent a lot in NOS parts until I started adding up the new hardware I’ve bought 🤢. Worked on the 98 and the catalyst today

IMG_3160.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 10:00 PM, Palu49 said:

Starting to, I thought I spent a lot in NOS parts until I started adding up the new hardware I’ve bought 🤢. Worked on the 98 and the catalyst today

IMG_3160.jpeg

The ones I restored had the original hardware for the motor taken to a local coating place and had them yellow zinc coated.  Can't remember the cost as he told me to be patient and he'll through them in with other parts but it was very reasonable.  Turned out great.  This is not my motor but a friend that I help out with

20200613_161510.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Doug said:

The ones I restored had the original hardware for the motor taken to a local coating place and had them yellow zinc coated.  Can't remember the cost as he told me to be patient and he'll through them in with other parts but it was very reasonable.  Turned out great.  This is not my motor but a friend that I help out with

20200613_161510.jpg

The motor stuff was all good cat used bolts with that greenish zinc or whatever it is coating. I’m mostly replacing suspension hardware and stuff like that. The other kicker is gold zinc coated hardware is hard to fine at hardware/box stores where it’s way cheaper.

That's cool, I've also been one to buy new factory hardware to get that gold anodized.  Only for some key areas like suspension bits you plainly see, not widespread throughout the sled as that can get pricey pretty quick.  I've been guilty of using aluminum and ti hardware in other areas though.  Cool that others have the same attention to detail though.

I've had a 98 tcat before, they were cool.  I think if I'd do a tcat again someday I'd either do a 96, or a late zr2 style one.  There's a restored green late model tcat mountain cat for sale in FB for like 7k, but it's beautiful.