Swiss 777 Engine Change in Iqaluit

Poncho

We've had two E/C in Anchorage for shutdowns. We trucked the engine up to there.

I remember reading about that Swissair E/C and was glad it wasn't me going.

We just did one yesterday  and another about two weeks ago in YYZ. Usually takes us a day and a half. But us pansies in YYZ do it in a nice warm hangar.  

Poor Fuzzy.  Sounds like the ol' lady was a bit aggressive with the strap-on last night....... still reeling with butthurt.

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Depends ? Puzzler told me Depends are warm, when wet. The belt must help to keep the heat from rising. 

22 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

We've had two E/C in Anchorage for shutdowns. We trucked the engine up to there.

I remember reading about that Swissair E/C and was glad it wasn't me going.

We just did one yesterday  and another about two weeks ago in YYZ. Usually takes us a day and a half. But us pansies in YYZ do it in a nice warm hangar.  

Why would they truck it? Too expensive to air ship? Is 747 only plane to hang one on the wing to get it there?

3 hours ago, gtserider said:

Why would they truck it? Too expensive to air ship? Is 747 only plane to hang one on the wing to get it there?

From YYZ to Anchorage by truck, probably thirty thousand dollars. I believe AC used the Antonov once for something and the price was much higher. The engine can be loaded and sent on it's way in a few hours. Send the guys and equipment, by the time everything gets organized it could be two days. Truck is half way there. Then by the time the old engine is on the ground the truck arrives. If truck is still not there the guys spend a day or two in the hotel and wait. Still cheaper than flying the engine on the Antonov.

The 747 is the only airplane I know of that has what is called the "fifth pod". There has to be provision built into the wing at the factory so an engine can be hung and transported that way.

1 hour ago, 2strokemerc said:

From YYZ to Anchorage by truck, probably thirty thousand dollars. I believe AC used the Antonov once for something and the price was much higher. The engine can be loaded and sent on it's way in a few hours. Send the guys and equipment, by the time everything gets organized it could be two days. Truck is half way there. Then by the time the old engine is on the ground the truck arrives. If truck is still not there the guys spend a day or two in the hotel and wait. Still cheaper than flying the engine on the Antonov.

The 747 is the only airplane I know of that has what is called the "fifth pod". There has to be provision built into the wing at the factory so an engine can be hung and transported that way.

Air India had a 'pod' and an engine--nothing to do with it's demise. I wonder if Puss has a pod on his doo.

Of course it had a pod AND an engine..... did you think they were going to dispatch on 3 engines and a pod? 

All new 850 Etecs have it..... so they can carry a spare short block, a fire extinguisher, and a spare bulkhead. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

22 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Of course it had a pod AND an engine..... did you think they were going to dispatch on 3 engines and a pod? 

All new 850 Etecs have it..... so they can carry a spare short block, a fire extinguisher, and a spare bulkhead. 

Nice to know that Bombardier engineering department is thinking ahead. Might need that stuff on the trail.

2 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

If is was an old 747 or any other four engine jet they could have ferried it out empty on three but that is no longer an option with two engines....

4 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

In this case Swiss used the Antonov to deliver the engine, it was the only option in Iqaluit.  In Anchorage ground works.

Had lunch with my dad today and we talked about the amount of three engine ferry flights he has done during his career at Trans Canada Airlines/Air Canada.  I had an old picture he took, late 1950's out the window of Vickers Viscount he ferried home from Cleveland on three engines.....that is the number four engine shutdown and feathered.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Poncho said:

Had lunch with my dad today and we talked about the amount of three engine ferry flights he has done during his career at Trans Canada Airlines/Air Canada.  I had an old picture he took, late 1950's out the window of Vickers Viscount he ferried home from Cleveland on three engines.....that is the number four engine shutdown and feathered.

image.jpeg

Dad still flying? I'm guessing not,but what age did he fly too.