PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

On 8/13/2018 at 10:43 AM, odot1 said:

DO NOT SHOOT AT THE DRONE!!!!!!  (as tempting/fun as it would be)

You would create so many new problems for yourself.  Get as much detail as possible about it, where it came from, direction of flight etc.  Report all to local police, also Transport Canada has online reporting tools.  The base for it can't be  that far away unless it's some sort of Gov't drone, which I doubt it was.  If you're going to "shoot" at it...  try a high pressure water stream.  The potato gun idea is interesting.  But have to watch velocities so you don't enter into criminal code territory.

Sean

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html#permission

Rules for recreational drones

To fly a recreational drone (or model aircraft), you must follow the safety rules in the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft.

Review these rules before flying a drone for fun, if the drone weighs over 250 g and under 35 kg. If your drone is 250 g or less, read our tips for flying safe.

Following the safety rules helps keep people, aircraft and property safe. If you fly where you are not allowed or you break the rules below, you could be fined up to $3,000.

Fly your drone:

• below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 76 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.6 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.9 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number

You are exempt from these rules if you are at a field or event approved by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

Hey back to the drone thingy.

On this one................at least 5.6 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land

So does that mean any Lake where sea planes land and take off is not allowed or just a designated Aerodrome Lakes?

Thanks

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, Algonquin Rider said:

Hey back to the drone thingy.

On this one................at least 5.6 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land

So does that mean any Lake where sea planes land and take off is not allowed or just a designated Aerodrome Lakes?

Thanks

It has to be an actual designation, signed etc...  Example..  Ottawa river (above and below rapids in Ottawa) are several planes.  But no actual base or designation (charts do show some areas).  Parry Sound.  There is a base and designated areas for the float planes.  You'd be safe in Ottawa but PS would be a different matter.  Saying that however, it is always the responsibility of the drone pilot to ensure his/her drone does not cause interference or safety issues with air traffic.  If you are in a "clear zone" but see aircraft in the area.  That aircraft has the right of way and you must ground your drone. 

Funny, was just discussing this very thing on Saturday. It's manufactured to be operated on snow, it's registered as an MSV and you have a trail pass.  Good to go.  Ohhh...need your insurance card!!!    

Edited by odot1

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Funny, was just discussing this very thing on Saturday. It's manufactured to be operated on snow, it's registered as an MSV and you have a trail pass.  Good to go.  Ohhh...need your insurance card!!!    

Ya, the internet blew up over this one on the weekend. 🤣  

The anti bike crowd can settle down though, there’s only 35 of these units in can/Usa. 

Whats unfair is that the only difference between this bike, and my bike, is who assembled it.  ☹️

5 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Ya, the internet blew up over this one on the weekend. 🤣  

The anti bike crowd can settle down though, there’s only 35 of these units in can/Usa. 

Whats unfair is that the only difference between this bike, and my bike, is who assembled it.  ☹️

Yeah, really don't expect to see too many in my travels. Let us know how it goes!  

Hey Sean, sorry to hear about the tough last week you guys have had to endure. I see that the young sledder that went thru the ice on Sand Lake was found. How is the other young kid that hit the gate doing ?

I,m starting to see rumors about the OPP using aerial patrol on sled trails this coming winter.

Can you shed some light on this ? If this is true, what is the real purpose ? Hopefully it isn,t to catch speeders. If so, it could be the last straw for a lot of sledders, that are just needing one more area to be hassled, to finally give up the sport for good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Hey Sean, sorry to hear about the tough last week you guys have had to endure. I see that the young sledder that went thru the ice on Sand Lake was found. How is the other young kid that hit the gate doing ?

I,m starting to see rumors about the OPP using aerial patrol on sled trails this coming winter.

Can you shed some light on this ? If this is true, what is the real purpose ? Hopefully it isn,t to catch speeders. If so, it could be the last straw for a lot of sledders, that are just needing one more area to be hassled, to finally give up the sport for good.

Thanks Frosty, appreciate that!  Last I heard the young man was still fighting for life. He'll never be the same again regardless.  

As for the rumour, I've honestly never heard if this!  I can't even imagine what benefit it would bring or how it'd even work.  In order to run air patrols you need a dedicated fleet on the ground to chase down and pull over any violators. Not something we do on sleds. When I say fleet... usually 6 or more cruisers.  Air enforcement is costly, to be an effective and efficient use of this resource you need a target rich environment such as a 400 series hwy.  Searching for missing sledders, def use our aircrafts... 

Sean

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Awesome, nice to put these rumors to bed. Still hoping to meet you guys on the trails somewhere this winter, hopefully without your radar gun. LOL. 

LMFAO!!!!  Indeed!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Odot 1 could you please clarify how the revised drinking and driving law works in regards to being at home and having a  beverage within the two hours after arriving ,with no intention of leaving is this still touchy ground Iam not understanding this new law completely,I may be a old souse but when Iam in for the day and sleds are in the garage I mix up one or more of my favorite beverages and feet up by the fire just sayin.Joe 

4 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

Odot 1 could you please clarify how the revised drinking and driving law works in regards to being at home and having a  beverage within the two hours after arriving ,with no intention of leaving is this still touchy ground Iam not understanding this new law completely,I may be a old souse but when Iam in for the day and sleds are in the garage I mix up one or more of my favorite beverages and feet up by the fire just sayin.Joe 

Good, valid question.  The basis behind the new law is to prevent the "home free" defence generally used  when the driver is impaired and involved in an incident but makes it home before police can intercept at which point they down a huge amount of booze and claim they hot drunk at AFTER whatever incident they were involved in.  Just like the removal of reasonable suspicion for the roadside test, the public really isn't going to notice any difference in how police operate.  No one will be breaking down your door to demand breath samples.  Nothing is changing in how we operate.  

• Like 2

That makes things much clearer the media grabs this and it blows out of context and I just needed to hear it from your side,Iam not going to be hiding behind my chesterfield doors locked T.V off listening for Goose stepping squads marching up to my front door LOL life as normal thanks Odot1.Joe

Also, imo, there is another thought to this new law, it addresses the CARDing situation.  Gag bangers now are fully aware they can be stopped at anytime.  This, I think was the hidden agenda behind the new law.....that will never be disclosed.

• Like 1

Just now, Poncho said:

Sean it is my understanding Police would also need a warrant to enter the home, the home owner can simple not answer the door if they choose.  Is that correct

That was the OLD way and the reason behind this change. There were some major incidents where the driver made it home and did the whole "I got drunk at home AFTER I ran over that little girl". Police would need a warrant in most cases to get in.  This law removes that process (for now as it will be challenged).  But as I said, the reality is...nothing will really change on how we do things unless you're that less than 1% that gets involved in this.  

25 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

That makes things much clearer the media grabs this and it blows out of context and I just needed to hear it from your side,Iam not going to be hiding behind my chesterfield doors locked T.V off listening for Goose stepping squads marching up to my front door LOL life as normal thanks Odot1.Joe

What the media blowing things out of proportion.....how can that be?

Edited by Poncho
  • Haha 3

Lmao Poncho I read today a youth killed in a Tesla auto crashed doing 115 mph in a 30 zone and the family is suing Tesla WTF is that all about if you are such a Fuc**** moron to put all innocent people at risk that are out and about then you deserve what ya get how is it that it is the cars fault so what next someone shoots somebody and sues the gun manufacture what a world we now live in thankfully Iam at the tail end of life it was a good run in thirty more years what will it be like, I give a lot of credit to the Odots out there I couldn't do their job without going postal.Joe

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, tinman said:

Sean, a quick question.

If a person is required to have an interlock placed in their car can the drive a snowmobile or operate a boat with out one?

Thanks Tin

I would think you are prohibited from driving anything but the vehicle that has the lockout.

Just now, tinman said:

That was my answer to him, but you never know unless you ask the pro. 

Well you are under suspension from driving still technically....just not the vehicle with the lockout.

So i would say no you cant drive anything else.

A google search probably give you an answer as well.

:lol:

1 hour ago, tinman said:

Sean, a quick question.

If a person is required to have an interlock placed in their car can the drive a snowmobile or operate a boat with out one?

Thanks Tin

1 hour ago, DAVE said:

I would think you are prohibited from driving anything but the vehicle that has the lockout.

1 minute ago, tinman said:

That was my answer to him, but you never know unless you ask the pro. 

Sorry for delay guys, 

So right off the top, a prohibition order would have to include vessel in order to prevent driving a boat.  But you guys are talking about interlock.  So, interlock is required in a vehicle and on a sled.  If you were operating an ATV on a roadway,  you require a drivers licence. So if you have the interlock condition attached to said licence you need the interlock while on the roads.  Your drivers licence is NOT a requirement for operating a vessel and therefore no interlock is required.  Hope this clears it up.

• Like 1