PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

1 minute ago, yarddawg said:

Question Sean,

To plead not guilty to a traffic offense, you now have to drive to a designated courthouse unless you live more 50km away. Also, it has to be Monday-Friday between 9am and 5pm???? As Donald would say, this is a rigged system to discourage citizens to fight traffic violations and reduce court costs. Who implemented this system, the Ontario courts or would it be the townships themselves? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Cheers!

I have not heard this.  If you look on the back of the offence notice there are a few check boxes.  One of them is plead not guilty and request trial date.  You then mail that in (keeping a copy of course).  What you are talking about may refer to "early resolution"..  basically a plea of guilty BUT with a meeting with the crown.  Between the tow of you, a mutually beneficial deal is struck..  i.e. reduced speed and fine, lesser included offence etc...  Courts are actively trying to reduce both costs and time.  The early resolution is a start. As for changing procedures... the courts often come up with alternatives or new SOP's BUT they have to be approved by the minister.

Thank you very much for the holiday wishes!!   Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!!

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

I have not heard this.  If you look on the back of the offence notice there are a few check boxes.  One of them is plead not guilty and request trial date.  You then mail that in (keeping a copy of course).  What you are talking about may refer to "early resolution"..  basically a plea of guilty BUT with a meeting with the crown.  Between the tow of you, a mutually beneficial deal is struck..  i.e. reduced speed and fine, lesser included offence etc...  Courts are actively trying to reduce both costs and time.  The early resolution is a start. As for changing procedures... the courts often come up with alternatives or new SOP's BUT they have to be approved by the minister.

Thank you very much for the holiday wishes!!   Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!!

My daughters car has been in my name since she graduated high school because of financing. She got a red light camera ticket in Milton and obviously the ticket comes to me. Halton Region no longer has the plead guilty and request a trial date option by mail. I had to drive 41.3 km to the courthouse in Burlington to fill out papers to plead not guilty..................Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!  Your trial date then comes in the mail.

Is there any law concerning swimming docks left in the water thru the winter? We have an azzhat on 1 of the lakes that sees a lot of sled traffic. The owner makes no attempt to bring it in to shore @ the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Is there any law concerning swimming docks left in the water thru the winter? We have an azzhat on 1 of the lakes that sees a lot of sled traffic. The owner makes no attempt to bring it in to shore @ the end of the season.

See this complaint every year it seems.  Unfortunately there is no specific law or regulation... BUT the MNR was dealing with a few cases...  May be worth reporting to them to see what they say.  I will do some more digging to see what I can come up with in the meantime..  

• Like 1

Hi Odot 1, 

in your opinion would the product in the link be legal in Ontario?

http://www.tufftow.com/index.html

Its a bogie wheel set up for front of an heavy trailer to carry some of the tongue weight and reduce the weight load on tow vehicle.

It may not be the best for towing in all conditions but would allow for smaller vehicle to tow larger trailer possibly safer then overloading vehicle.

Braking issues i am aware of.

Thanks,

Dave

7 hours ago, Sksman said:

Hi Odot 1, 

Its a bogie wheel set up for front of an heavy trailer to carry some of the tongue weight and reduce the weight load on tow vehicle.

It may not be the best for towing in all conditions but would allow for smaller vehicle to tow larger trailer possibly safer then overloading vehicle.

Thanks,

Dave

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

I dont think there would be any issues unless the GCWR was exceeded. 

The danger would be if someone added 1 to a large trailer (4 place enclosed for example) & tried to tow it w/ an S10.

Good point rev.   Dave, as long as it's installed properly and of course fastened to the tow vehicle with two means of attachment I wouldn't see an issue with it.  I'm not sure what the MTO would think... but in my opinion...if they allow SnowBear trailers to be towed down the hwys then anything goes!!! 

14 hours ago, odot1 said:

Good point rev.   Dave, as long as it's installed properly and of course fastened to the tow vehicle with two means of attachment I wouldn't see an issue with it.  I'm not sure what the MTO would think... but in my opinion...if they allow SnowBear trailers to be towed down the hwys then anything goes!!! 

Thank you.  

Whats a snow Bear trailer?

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

The brand of trailer sold by Canadian Tire..   

Fine high quality pieces that they are.

I just love seeing the minvans pulling the overloaded with lumber swaying back and forth cheap utility trailer going down 401.  Normally wheels are bent out also.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

I just love seeing the minvans pulling the overloaded with lumber swaying back and forth cheap utility trailer going down 401.  Normally wheels are bent out also.  

Saw a guy towing a homemade box trailer about 4 x 4 w/ tandem car tires under it recently on Hwy 7. Not sure what the dimension was O/O across the tires, but it was less than 4 feet. The trailer looked way too top heavy.

Sean, can you pull the plates off a trailer/car if you see something on the road that you suspect is unsafe or do you need an MTO staffer to do that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Saw a guy towing a homemade box trailer about 4 x 4 w/ tandem car tires under it recently on Hwy 7. Not sure what the dimension was O/O across the tires, but it was less than 4 feet. The trailer looked way too top heavy.

Sean, can you pull the plates off a trailer/car if you see something on the road that you suspect is unsafe or do you need an MTO staffer to do that?

We can pull them off and order a safety inspection be performed before the vehicle is allowed on the road again.   I've done this a few times with trailers similar to what you saw.  Bent axles, tires rubbing, cracks in frames, overloaded..etc...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

They match the minivan perfectly.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 10:48 AM, Sksman said:

Hi Odot 1, 

Thanks,

Dave

I have seen that setup before, I am fairly certain it was at the track on a car hauler and the tow vehicle was an RV.....which you would think it would not require something of that nature.

The one thing that most knew at the track, we were all targets on the way to and from the track for the OPP, so I am guessing they had zero issues.....but this was a while ago.

Great...... Now I'll NEVER get my sleds up north....

On 12/17/2017 at 1:26 PM, odot1 said:

We can pull them off and order a safety inspection be performed before the vehicle is allowed on the road again.   I've done this a few times with trailers similar to what you saw.  Bent axles, tires rubbing, cracks in frames, overloaded..etc...  

• Haha 1

Sean, just an example of what you guys (and gals) have to deal with. This happened to me yesterday:

An interesting drive home yesterday after Christmas shopping.

SLOW THE (FILL IN THE BLANK) DOWN!

On the way home from Peterborough on 28, I was travelling around 80 - 85 klicks, with a bit of 'scum' on the pavement. 
North of the Youngs Point Carillion yard, the Ford Ranger that had been following decides to pull out and pass me. Well the driver didn't get a car length ahead of me (in the southbound lane) when the truck turns sideways in front of. A few choice words were cursed as the truck cleared my lane and headed for the ditch. The woman following said all she saw a wall of snow as she drove by.

As I got pulled over the driver that was following the Ranger, had stopped behind me. She said she had the OPP on her phone. I thanked her for that. The driver, a young fellow walked up to the shoulder and towards our 2 vehicles. "Did I touch you?" he asked. I said no and I don't want to talk to you.

To say I was pissed is an understatement. Jorgensen's KW wrecker came from the north. The driver returned a few minutes later w/ the rollback. I waited with the other witness and the OPP responded about 40 minutes later. (I later saw on the news where was a head on collision near Omemee where a 22 year old died earlier in the day). I gave a statement to the constable. He later said that the driver told him he was doing about 95 when he attempted to pass me. He also said that the truck apparently barrel rolled twice.The cab and box didn't look 'lined up' so I imagine it was a write off.

He also said, people have to start to slow down or things like this turn into fatals. I replied, "and you guys have to deal with that."

I think the driver's father arrived about the time I was finishing up with the constable.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Sadly an all too common scenario.   I'm glad you were not involved, injured or worse.  Stay safe out there rev.  Life is already short eniugh without all this extra bs...

Thanks!

All I saw was me 'punting' the Ranger and things going really bad. I just tried to slow down and keep my truck straight. In this instance I don't think any driving skills course would help, because chit is happening so fast. Pretty much the same visual as when a stock car in the lower groove turns sideways & goes up the track in front of a car in the outer 'lane'. 

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

Hi Sean, Santa brought me a nice new windshield mounted GPS.

What are the guidelines for mounting it on a windshield, besides not being in the direct sight lines ?

Are we allowed to adjust volume or touch it in any way while driving ?

Also, is there any problem wearing earbuds plugged into a phone while you are using the speaker function ?

Cheers, and happy holidays. 

6 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Hi Sean, Santa brought me a nice new windshield mounted GPS.

What are the guidelines for mounting it on a windshield, besides not being in the direct sight lines ?

Are we allowed to adjust volume or touch it in any way while driving ?

Also, is there any problem wearing earbuds plugged into a phone while you are using the speaker function ?

Cheers, and happy holidays. 

Congrats on new toys!  No real guidelines other than common sense.  As you said...out of sightlines but also consider the airbag deployment zone as well.  Ear buds have become acceptable it seems but check your mirrors often as you won't hear sirens and horns....or obnoxious Harleys!   As for volume adjustment on the gps you should be good. Can't input destinations etc...

Merry Christmas, happy holidays to you and yours!