PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

20 hours ago, revrnd said:

On the eastbound 401 between Ajax & Whitby passing thru the new 412 interchange. I was in the slow lane driving beside the on ramp from the 412 when 3 vehicles that I had passed earlier, drove by on the ramp. Is there any reg' proscribing using an on or off ramp as a passing lane? 

This isn't the 1st time I've seen something like this.

How fast were you going?  

Was 401 stopping?

Did the 3 cars cut back into the 401 lanes ahead of you?

Or did they continue up the 412?

cars regularly pass stopped traffic in the ramp lanes.  Most take exit. The ones that dont and cut back in or try to cut back in and block the ramp lane should be ticketed.

7 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

odot1 this might be out of your realm and off topic but when Pot becomes legal in July next year will that also mean hash and pot oils? 

Just asking if you would be arrested for hash still?  thanks

To be perfectly honest, no one knows yet.  Both levels of gov't are lagging behind on policies, legislation etc..  There was no framework or even any strategy when JT and the liberals announced that they would legalize.  Everyone involved has been playing catchup ever since.  So far really distribution has been looked at.  The impaired by drugs driving is an issue that is of concern and that's the main focus right now.  Truthfully?  Your guess is as good as anyone's right now. 

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

To be perfectly honest, no one knows yet.  Both levels of gov't are lagging behind on policies, legislation etc..  There was no framework or even any strategy when JT and the liberals announced that they would legalize.  Everyone involved has been playing catchup ever since.  So far really distribution has been looked at.  The impaired by drugs driving is an issue that is of concern and that's the main focus right now.  Truthfully?  Your guess is as good as anyone's right now. 

Thanks Sean

Imagine the government lagging behind :lol:  I really don't see any difference between hash and pot but you never know what the government thinks

15 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

odot1 this might be out of your realm and off topic but when Pot becomes legal in July next year will that also mean hash and pot oils? 

Just asking if you would be arrested for hash still?  thanks

Also to add to that, do you think it will be restricted for Zero tolerance for driving while under 21 like alcohol is?

Edited by Algonquin Rider
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Algonquin Rider said:

Also to add to that, do you think it will be restricted for Zero tolerance for driving while under 21 like alcohol is?

from what I have seen the government will have it zero tolerance for all drivers - the stigma of going insane still sticks today

One puff you can't drive for 4-6 hours - kind of crazy

I heard a recent University of Calgary study confirmed even minimal exposure to second-hand pot smoke can result in a failed drug test. The lawyers are going to be dining out on contesting every driving while impaired by drugs charge. What a shite-show it is going to be. 

3 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

I heard a recent University of Calgary study confirmed even minimal exposure to second-hand pot smoke can result in a failed drug test. The lawyers are going to be dining out on contesting every driving while impaired by drugs charge. What a shite-show it is going to be. 

Good thing drug testing is very rare in Canada - fact is this same scenario has played out for the last 100 years

Only starting in July will it be an issue

2 hours ago, Pete Z said:

Do not hang around those smoking it or smoke it before you drive. This sounds like it will be worse for the pot heads now than it ever was before. Now they will all be getting impaired charges whereas prior they got the pot taken from them and let go.

7 hours ago, Muskoka Rider said:

Do not hang around those smoking it or smoke it before you drive. This sounds like it will be worse for the pot heads now than it ever was before. Now they will all be getting impaired charges whereas prior they got the pot taken from them and let go.

I think we'll get into a situation where almost every impaired by pot charge is going to be contested. The technology just isn't available to prove impairment and the Crown is going to have a tough time making those charges stick. Huge waste of resources. 

On 12/5/2017 at 3:38 PM, Sksman said:

How fast were you going?  Traffic was typical for late afternoon. The slow and middle lanes were doing about the same, Passing lane was a bit faster.

Was 401 stopping? No it was moving along. I was exiting at Brock St. 

Did the 3 cars cut back into the 401 lanes ahead of you? They passed several more vehicles and then cut in. The pickup towing a landscaping trailer had been pulled off just east of Brock Rd  a few minutes earlier.

Or did they continue up the 412?

cars regularly pass stopped traffic in the ramp lanes.  Most take exit. The ones that dont and cut back in or try to cut back in and block the ramp lane should be ticketed.

The also slow down the lane when people have to slow down or stop to let them in.

The westbound lanes have been a clusterfuck @ Holt Road due to the 418 construction. Signage is in place east of the location that the left lane ends, but the idgits still have to drive to the end of it & hope someone will let them in. Midday & traffic slows to a crawl. I'd hate to see the rush drive thru there.

7 hours ago, Pete Z said:

I think we'll get into a situation where almost every impaired by pot charge is going to be contested. The technology just isn't available to prove impairment and the Crown is going to have a tough time making those charges stick. Huge waste of resources. 

I agree that this will end at the highest court. Glad I do not use it, or know anyone that does.

1 hour ago, Muskoka Rider said:

I agree that this will end at the highest court. Glad I do not use it, or know anyone that does.

Same here... A friend of mine owns a campground. He is anticipating some challenges when he tells people they won't be smoking it in the campground. Legal or not it's his private property and he doesn't want it there.

Hey guys...  interesting debate with good points and ideas.  Maybe could be its own thread and we just keep this one the plain ol' boring question/answer thread with the occasional bacon wrapped donut joke??

:bc:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Same here... A friend of mine owns a campground. He is anticipating some challenges when he tells people they won't be smoking it in the campground. Legal or not it's his private property and he doesn't want it there.

I suspect if he can legally ban cigarette smoking in the camp, he can legally ban pot smoking. Also they do ban alcohol in Provincial parks on certain long weekends, so with that there certainly is a precedent. Some may argue that they are technically in their home while at the camp ground and in their trailer, so the provincial ban on alcohol would certainly be grounds to upset that argument. Good on him for making his camp family friendly.

• Like 1

Just now, odot1 said:

Hey guys...  interesting debate with good points and ideas.  Maybe could be its own thread and we just keep this one the plain ol' boring question/answer thread with the occasional bacon wrapped donut joke??

:bc:

just read this. Sorry for posting more debate on this thread..Bacon wrapped doughnuts, I think you have a winner there.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Muskoka Rider said:

just read this. Sorry for posting more debate on this thread..Bacon wrapped doughnuts, I think you have a winner there.

No worries.. to be fair, I'm still doped up on drugs after shoulder surgery....  had to re-write that post a few times!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

That's gonna really impact you trying to catch us on the railbed by sled this year Sean......

Lmfao!!  Yeah...  you know me and railbeds!!  I'm probably going to miss the full season.  

Question Sean,

To plead not guilty to a traffic offense, you now have to drive to a designated courthouse unless you live more 50km away. Also, it has to be Monday-Friday between 9am and 5pm???? As Donald would say, this is a rigged system to discourage citizens to fight traffic violations and reduce court costs. Who implemented this system, the Ontario courts or would it be the townships themselves? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Cheers!