PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

This is typical cheesy Gov't safety poster but it does spell out quite clearly the penalties for impaired/drug driving for novice/young drivers for those of you with young'uns at home.  AS always...I'm the messenger.  If you need to blast it, rant and rave please create a seperate but entertaining thread!!

Sean

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/pdfs/impaired-is-impaired-screen.pdf

Thanks for posting that up, Sean. :bc:

How's the arm and shoulder coming along? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks for posting that up, Sean. :bc:

How's the arm and shoulder coming along? 

Hey Irv!!  I'm a wreck!!!  Don't get old!!  Waiting on cortisone shots and now on celebrex to combat the arthritis...  Once everything kicks in (if it doesn't then surgery..) I will requalify on police type things and back to regular duties!!!  Driving a computer realty, really, really, really sucks...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, odot1 said:

Hey Irv!!  I'm a wreck!!!  Don't get old!!  Waiting on cortisone shots and now on celebrex to combat the arthritis...  Once everything kicks in (if it doesn't then surgery..) I will requalify on police type things and back to regular duties!!!  Driving a computer realty, really, really, really sucks...

Sorry to hear, Sean. I don't know with a 100% certainty, but I am guessing I am older than you so it's already too late! :lol:(I'll be 55 in May)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, irv said:

Sorry to hear, Sean. I don't know with a 100% certainty, but I am guessing I am older than you so it's already too late! :lol:(I'll be 55 in May)

Yeah.. you have a few years on me...  47 in July.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Sean,

I wonder if you can help since you might have some insight into my riding area.

I am trying to confirm if I am allowed to ride my sxs into Coe Hill on Hwy 620.

It is the Coe Hill fair this weekend and the trail is closed through the fair grounds.

I know ATV/UTVs are not allowed on main highways such as HWY 62 but I am not sure if HWY620 as a different status.

Thanks

Steve

3 hours ago, Fluffy said:

Hey Sean,

I wonder if you can help since you might have some insight into my riding area.

I am trying to confirm if I am allowed to ride my sxs into Coe Hill on Hwy 620.

It is the Coe Hill fair this weekend and the trail is closed through the fair grounds.

I know ATV/UTVs are not allowed on main highways such as HWY 62 but I am not sure if HWY620 as a different status.

Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve,

I'm not aware of any restrictions.  But I will double check and get back to you with a more concrete answer.  BTW hwy 62 is rideable from north of the gas station in Madoc (beside Tims) to Bancroft. 

Sean  

Thanks. 

I heard that some of the restrictions had changed but assumed we needed to stay off of Hwy 62.

So if the speed limit is 80kph than the Atv/UTV limit is 50kph?

How does someone find out the different restrictions?  I belief  the municipalities implement the restrictions?

57 minutes ago, Fluffy said:

Thanks. 

I heard that some of the restrictions had changed but assumed we needed to stay off of Hwy 62.

So if the speed limit is 80kph than the Atv/UTV limit is 50kph?

How does someone find out the different restrictions?  I belief  the municipalities implement the restrictions?

Hey Steve...  

https://chatvc.ca/ The Coe Hill ATV club...  not much info...  I've also attached a copy of the Wollaston Twp ATV by-laws..  Nowhere is 620 shown as restricted.  And yes, 80Km/h =50km/h max ATV.  If the posted limit is 50km/h or less you are limited to 20km/h.  Lights need to be on, no passengers UNLESS it is an ATV or UTV manufactured to carry passengers.  In a UTV all occupants must be wearing the seatbelts.  And of course...always need helmet, insurance, plates and if on a roadway a valid G2 or better drivers licence.  Lemme know if you have any other questions....

Sean

by-law_31-15_off-road_vehicles.pdf

Fluffy, 620 in Wollaston is a township road now. In our area 504 and 620 are county roads. A few of us talked to Sean's compadres a few years ago. As long as we're legal equipment-wise & obeying the speed limit we have no problems.

We've spoken to ATV/SxS owners about the understanding we have here to ride smart.

Last summer I spotted two women riding a brand new Teryx out of the grocery store lot. Neither of them were wearing helmets (ball cap & golf visor). The next day as I was walking down the street I saw the same Teryx, this time two guys (ball caps this time) were riding it. It was stopped and I walked over to tell the guys that helmets were required by and if they didn't want to get hassled by the cops they'd best get helmets. They said thanks and were off. They didn't seem upset that I had spoke to them about it. I'm thinking they may have been new to powersports & didn't know. (?)

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:22 AM, revrnd said:

Fluffy, 620 in Wollaston is a township road now. In our area 504 and 620 are county roads. A few of us talked to Sean's compadres a few years ago. As long as we're legal equipment-wise & obeying the speed limit we have no problems.

We've spoken to ATV/SxS owners about the understanding we have here to ride smart.

Last summer I spotted two women riding a brand new Teryx out of the grocery store lot. Neither of them were wearing helmets (ball cap & golf visor). The next day as I was walking down the street I saw the same Teryx, this time two guys (ball caps this time) were riding it. It was stopped and I walked over to tell the guys that helmets were required by and if they didn't want to get hassled by the cops they'd best get helmets. They said thanks and were off. They didn't seem upset that I had spoke to them about it. I'm thinking they may have been new to powersports & didn't know. (?)

And that is how good things are ruined for everyone else AND draws our attention.    Don't worry, I won't tell the cops about this!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If a snowmobile has license and insurance can it be driven on the lake if the operator doesn't have a snowmobile/car license. 

My son is 11 just wondering about him on the lake using my wife's sled.

Thank you

32 minutes ago, mxzx121 said:

If a snowmobile has license and insurance can it be driven on the lake if the operator doesn't have a snowmobile/car license. 

Thank you

That would be the same as crown land, so you should be all good.

7 hours ago, mxzx121 said:

Thank you

Yes you are fine to do that.

7 hours ago, mxzx121 said:

Thank you

Sean will know for sure but I think the others guys are not correct

You must have a licence of some kind to drive on any public area - Private Property is fine 

Driver requirements

Everyone who drives a snowmobile in Ontario must:

• be at least 12 years old
  • have a valid driver's licence or motorized snow vehicle operator's licence (see below)
  • register the snowmobile with the Ministry of Transportation
  • have insurance

Where snowmobile riders can drive, depending on their age and type of driver's licence.
Your age and licence Where you can drive
Age 16 and over WITH a valid Ontario driver's licence, MSVOL or snowmobile licence from another jurisdiction
  • Snowmobile trails
  • Across a road, where permitted
  • On roadways, where permitted
Age 12 years or older WITH a valid MSVOL or a licence from another jurisdiction Snowmobile trails only
Any age with no valid Ontario driver's licence, MSVOL or snowmobile licence from another jurisdiction Private property only
Under age 12 Private property only

On 10/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

That would be the same as crown land, so you should be all good.

Gave wrong answer....  Ugh...

Edited by odot1

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Sorry guys, was working!  The answers are correct.  As long as you're not on a trail. Sled still needs to be licenced and insured. 

WAIT!  Just re read this. No, off private property you need the licence!! Sorry guys, long day on the water.   

10 hours ago, odot1 said:

Sorry guys, was working!  The answers are correct.  As long as you're not on a trail. Sled still needs to be licenced and insured. 

Good to see your holidays are over, and you are finally back to work. LOL

Are you going to be patrolling the trails this winter ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Good to see your holidays are over, and you are finally back to work. LOL

Are you going to be patrolling the trails this winter ?

I am!!  Barring any unforeseen stupidity requiring more surgery and/or hospital time!!    :lol:

11 hours ago, odot1 said:

I am!!  Barring any unforeseen stupidity requiring more surgery and/or hospital time!!    :lol:

Sounds great. Hope to finally meet up with you guys this winter when you are down around the Grenville and Riverside trails area, hopefully without your radar gun. LOL

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...