PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

• Platinum Contributing Member

The fines are minimal for over weight. Not as bad as a loose gas can at least....lol

Most people or dealers who register a pick up these days just get the minimum 3000 kg plates. Combine this with a trailer with a single 3000 lbs axle and you have no need for the yellow safety sticker. You're under the 4500 kg combine register weight.

Your typical 4 door 1/2 ton pick up weighs 5500-5700 lbs. This only leaves around a 1000 lbs of load before you exceed the 3000 kg registered weight.

But most people are doing this so rarely that its not a concern and, as long as you don't have a name on the door, you're not a rolling target for the MTO.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Wouldn't that be pretty much all "heavier" towed conveyances then?  Average SUVs and pickups already weigh 5000-6500 lbs.  Doesn't leave much for the trailer!  Many sled trailers would be over that limit. 

• Like 1

Stopped by a couple of Odot's counterparts this morning north of Apsley. Shot the breeze w/ them for a few minutes after the paperwork check. Moreso because of no permit (I had the temp' w/ me) visible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The fines are minimal for over weight. Not as bad as a loose gas can at least....lol

Most people or dealers who register a pick up these days just get the minimum 3000 kg plates. Combine this with a trailer with a single 3000 lbs axle and you have no need for the yellow safety sticker. You're under the 4500 kg combine register weight.

Your typical 4 door 1/2 ton pick up weighs 5500-5700 lbs. This only leaves around a 1000 lbs of load before you exceed the 3000 kg registered weight.

But most people are doing this so rarely that its not a concern and, as long as you don't have a name on the door, you're not a rolling target for the MTO.

Could not have said better.  

The secret code words to be utilized in that situation are "I am Zoso".  That will guarantee you free, unobstructed passage. 

Just now, revrnd said:

Stopped by a couple of Odot's counterparts this morning north of Apsley. Shot the breeze w/ them for a few minutes after the paperwork check. Moreso because of no permit (I had the temp' w/ me) visible.

• Haha 2

Just now, Puzzleboy said:

The secret code words to be utilized in that situation are "I am Zoso".  That will guarantee you free, unobstructed passage. 

I think if I had said I'd make them a mount for their GPS (thing looked like a small version of an Etch a Sketch), I'd have free passage for life.

• Haha 1

I'm surprised they don't already have one.  Lots of RAM mounts are adjustable too, to fit a wide range of devices. 

Just now, revrnd said:

I think if I had said I'd make them a mount for their GPS (thing looked like a small version of an Etch a Sketch), I'd have free passage for life.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Might give insurance companies an "out" also if a large payment was on the table. 

This is one of my greatest fears,its a what if but get in a accident and there is a fatality your world could come crashing down if you were running over the limit weight wise for your RGVW  and or your trailer (if equipped with brakes) is found unfit I guarantee as Puzzleboy said your insurance company would likely leave you hung out to dry,i prefer to be safe rather than sorry my 2500 Rado and enclosed trailer are going in on Thursday for Yellow stickers.Joe

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 4:43 PM, odot1 said:

It gets a little confusing....

1. the total gross weight, registered gross weight (RGW) or manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR) of the vehicle exceeds 4,500 kg or 9,920 lbs.
  2. the combined weight of the vehicle and towed trailer or converter dolly exceeds 4,500 kg or 9,920 lbs

So essentially.... if your tow vehicle's registered weight (check your green registration card) you need that certificate (yellow sticker).  If your vehicle has the sticker...your trailer needs one as well.   If your loaded trailer and tow vehicle  exceed the limits...you need the sticker...

Just to add one small detail, these rules do not apply to recreation trailers i.e. travel trailers, 5th wheels, etc..... as silly as that sounds when you see some of rigs people are hauling around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Just to add one small detail, these rules do not apply to recreation trailers i.e. travel trailers, 5th wheels, etc..... as silly as that sounds when you see some of rigs people are hauling around.

Saw a POS little utility trailer behind a Tahoe on Sat' carrying 2 gas cans (strapped in). Looked like it was made from that perforated angle 'metal' (I wouldn't call it iron). I think the trailer I built for behind my Ranger was built better.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Saw a POS little utility trailer behind a Tahoe on Sat' carrying 2 gas cans (strapped in). Looked like it was made from that perforated angle 'metal' (I wouldn't call it iron). I think the trailer I built for behind my Ranger was built better.

I was actually referring to the RV's, the larger ones, with a 20 to 30 foot trailer in tow.....when you consider the length and weight, its is quite the set up.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, odot1 said:

All cargo, regardless of what it is must be secured in order to prevent it's ejection in normal driving as well as a collision.  There ate some pretty specific specifications buried deep in the regulations..  but essentially if you have the following covered, you're good. 

-front and rear tied down/secured by quick clamps

-winch does NOT count as a tie down (ATVs)

-loose fuel containers secured in brackets or bungee cords. Fuel stored in approved containers.

-all loose items secured in container or some other way to prevent falling off trailer/out of truck bed.

-all tie downs, ropes, bungees etc  must be in good condition.  

To be clear does this  apply to enclosed trailers? I'm thinking of transport trucks,pallets are not typically tied down.Not that you want an ATV bouncing around in a clamshell.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, Blackstar said:

Interesting. One of my employees was pulled over last winter. Charged $490 for not having a 1 gallon gas can secured. When leaving the cop would not allow the use of a bungy cord to secure the can, had to be strap with weight tag. The cop did allow him to set it on the floor inside the cab with no securing strap.

Made no sense to me.

The police officer actually ask him to do something illegal .TSSA reg XXXX.says no fuel in interior of vehicles,that includes mini vans,SUVs. It is also illegal to fuel sleds in enclosed trailers.Those doors are for passing beer to your buddys riding in the back.

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

To be clear does this  apply to enclosed trailers? I'm thinking of transport trucks,pallets are not typically tied down.Not that you want an ATV bouncing around in a clamshell.

Applies to enclosed trailers as well.  Commercial carriers have their own set of cargo secure rules. 

8 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Applies to enclosed trailers as well.  Commercial carriers have their own set of cargo secure rules. 

I have heard of people being stopped and having to open up the trailer to ensure the load was secure and when they found sleds not strapped/clamped down they were fined. Apparently just the front skis isn't enough. You need the rear of the sled secured as well.

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I have heard of people being stopped and having to open up the trailer to ensure the load was secure and when they found sleds not strapped/clamped down they were fined. Apparently just the front skis isn't enough. You need the rear of the sled secured as well.

It's a possibility for sure..  But have not have heard of/seen this happen.  Usually it's the result of some other issue.  

6 minutes ago, 02sled said:

This is correct and noted a few posts up if I am not mistaken.

12 hours ago, Stoney said:

I was actually referring to the RV's, the larger ones, with a 20 to 30 foot trailer in tow.....when you consider the length and weight, its is quite the set up.

How true Stoney I have been practically blown off the road by large motorhomes towing big enclosed trailers or dragging full size crew cab pickups behind them runnin well past legal speed limit and I dont think most have any higher class drivers license and no yearly safety's required let alone some dressed in Hawaiian shirts,trousers pulled up to their chin,white loafers,disabled parking pass in the window making me look young at 64.Old Slow Joe

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Thanks,just wondered why the double standard.Best one was the cows that got out after a crash.Closed the hwy for a day and we didn't find all the cows for 2 weeks.Guess they didn't have 4 pt restraints.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, revrnd said:

How about in the summer time mini van full, Thule carry all on the roof,and a 20 plus foot cuddy cabin boat flyin down the 400 draggin ass i just shudder get over in the granny lane where i an bail for the rhubarb if needed and pray to get up to the sticks without incident,Cam Wolley where are you?Slow Lane Joe

Edited by Slow Joe

"Sorry officer, trailer is locked, and the keys are up at the destination".   :)

Actually, Odot, would the officer not have to ask the owner's permission, legally, to open the trailer?  Unless something was visibly wrong from the exterior? 

4 hours ago, 02sled said:

Or U-Hauls and the like.  My Dad (an old Class A license guy) goes on about those and RVs all the time.  lol

18 hours ago, Stoney said:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

"Sorry officer, trailer is locked, and the keys are up at the destination".   :)

Actually, Odot, would the officer not have to ask the owner's permission, legally, to open the trailer?  Unless something was visibly wrong from the exterior? 

Yes, unless there are some sort of extenuating or exigent circumstances you would need owners permission to search the trailer...    

52 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Good point no doubt, but thats like high consumption of alcohol  would likely come with some side effects that might be less than desirable, IE I have glaucoma  officer i left the paper work at home honest.Smokin Joe

Edited by Slow Joe
cant spell
  • Haha 1