PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

23 hours ago, revrnd said:

When the Canada wide arrest warrant was issued for Nathan Kuijer, 'Officer Cam' was talking about the procedure. He mentioned a warrant could be filed for Theft over $5000 w/ a distance (to be returned). The way I took it if the police stopped the person within the radius he would be arrested/held. What do the police do if they stop the person outside the radius & see the warrant on CPIC (I assume)?

Good question!!!  You are right.  Within the radius they would be arrested and held for bail hearing.  Outside the radius the police force that stops the bad guy sends a request to the agency with the warrant..  for example I stop guy on trail in Bancroft and he's wanted by TO but with a 50km radius.  My dispatcher will contact them to see what they want done.  Many times TO will not come get them due to lack of manpower and sheer cost to taxpayer for "minor" warrants.  What I do as the officer on scene is update all the information on the bad guy, where he's living, who he is with, any new tattoos, change in hair etc and send that off to Toronto.  I then strongly advise bad guy to take care of his matters and charge him with whatever I can as a result of the stop.  Sometimes I am able to get the ok from my boss to return the guy myself depending on the circumstances.  Many police forces use a small radius to encourage the bad guys to stay away from the area... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Many police forces use a small radius to encourage the bad guys to stay away from the area... 

Thanks for the explanation.

When I win the lottery and buy Apsley, I'll keep the quoted portion in mind LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Generally hold the person and contact the agency that has the warrant.

Depending on severity the agency will or won't come pick the person up.

I believe it requires 2 officers so it costs big bucks for say simple weed possession. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question, if one car rear ends another can the police check the cellphone of the driver at fault right there on the scene. Can they see if the driver was texting or do you need court orders and lawyers involved. A friend at work was rear ended the other day, I said the young driver was probably texting and would be easy to prove, just look at the phone and it will show when the last text was sent/received. Someone else in the conversation said no, police can't do that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Question, if one car rear ends another can the police check the cellphone of the driver at fault right there on the scene. Can they see if the driver was texting or do you need court orders and lawyers involved. A friend at work was rear ended the other day, I said the young driver was probably texting and would be easy to prove, just look at the phone and it will show when the last text was sent/received. Someone else in the conversation said no, police can't do that.

Would need a warrant or informed consent to check the cellphone.  Can also write a warrant for the cell phone records from his carrier.  But can not just grab the phone a nd scroll.  If placed under a arrest its a slightly different story or if exigent (emergency) situation exists can also scroll through . 

20 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

If it's a rear end, wouldn't it be pretty much the other persons fault anyway? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

If it's a rear end, wouldn't it be pretty much the other persons fault anyway? 

99.9% of the time yes.  Generally results in careless driving charge. 

What if there's a password on the phone? 

On 2017-04-23 at 11:30 AM, odot1 said:

Would need a warrant or informed consent to check the cellphone.  Can also write a warrant for the cell phone records from his carrier.  But can not just grab the phone a nd scroll.  If placed under a arrest its a slightly different story or if exigent (emergency) situation exists can also scroll through . 

14 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

What if there's a password on the phone? 

The phone records from the carrier will show any activity regardless of the password.  However if the phone is seized for evidentary value then it's sent to our techs who are able to crack 99% of them. 

Edited by odot1

13 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I guess we need to install a self-destruct app on them then......... don't really want the techs looking at my schlong selfies.....

Lmfao!!!!!!   I'm thinking the feeling may be mutual?!?!?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A motorcycle police officer stops a driver for shooting through a red light. The driver is a real jerk, steps out of his car and comes striding toward the officer, demanding to know why he is being harassed by the Gestapo !

So the officer calmly tells him of the red light violation. The motorist instantly goes on a tirade, questioning the officer's ancestry, sexual orientation, etc., in rather explicit offensive terms.

The tirade goes on and on without the officer saying anything.

When the officer finishes writing the ticket he puts an "AH" in the lower right corner of the narrative portion of the ticket. He then hands it to The 'violator' for his signature. The guy signs the ticket angrily, and when presented with his copy points to the "AH" and demands to know what it stands for.

The officer says, �That�s so when we go to court, I'll remember that you're an asshole !"

Two months later they're in court. The 'violator' has a bad driving record with a high number of points and is in danger of losing his license, so he hired a lawyer to represent him.

On the stand the officer testifies to seeing the man run through the red light.

Under cross examination the defense attorney asks; "Officer is this a reasonable facsimile of the ticket that you issued to my client ?"

Officer responds, �Yes, sir, that is the defendant's copy, his signature and mine, same number at the top."

Lawyer: "Officer, is there any particular marking or notation on this ticket you don't normally make ?"

"Yes, sir, in the lower right corner of the narrative there is an "AH," underlined."

"What does the "AH" stand for, officer ?"

"Aggressive and hostile, Sir."

"Aggressive and hostile ?"

"Yes, Sir.

"Officer, are you sure it doesn't stand for asshole ?"

Well, Sir, you know your client better than I do.

How often can one get an attorney to convict his own client ?   

• Like 2

Saw this story in the Toronto Star  years ago:

In BC an RCMP constable came upon a motorcyclist standing beside their bike. He pulled up behind it. when he got out of the cruiser, he asked the rider (wearing a full face helmet) if they were having a problem?

"Carb's frozen."

"Did you pee on it?"

"Can't"

With that the officer proceeded to urinate on the carburetor. The rider was able to start the bike and was down the highway.

A couple of weeks later the detachment got a letter that started:

"On behalf of my daughter, I'd like to thank the officer who offered to assist her when her motorcycle quit...

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

A motorcycle police officer stops a driver for shooting through a red light. The driver is a real jerk, steps out of his car and comes striding toward the officer, demanding to know why he is being harassed by the Gestapo !

So the officer calmly tells him of the red light violation. The motorist instantly goes on a tirade, questioning the officer's ancestry, sexual orientation, etc., in rather explicit offensive terms.

The tirade goes on and on without the officer saying anything.

When the officer finishes writing the ticket he puts an "AH" in the lower right corner of the narrative portion of the ticket. He then hands it to The 'violator' for his signature. The guy signs the ticket angrily, and when presented with his copy points to the "AH" and demands to know what it stands for.

The officer says, �That�s so when we go to court, I'll remember that you're an asshole !"

Two months later they're in court. The 'violator' has a bad driving record with a high number of points and is in danger of losing his license, so he hired a lawyer to represent him.

On the stand the officer testifies to seeing the man run through the red light.

Under cross examination the defense attorney asks; "Officer is this a reasonable facsimile of the ticket that you issued to my client ?"

Officer responds, �Yes, sir, that is the defendant's copy, his signature and mine, same number at the top."

Lawyer: "Officer, is there any particular marking or notation on this ticket you don't normally make ?"

"Yes, sir, in the lower right corner of the narrative there is an "AH," underlined."

"What does the "AH" stand for, officer ?"

"Aggressive and hostile, Sir."

"Aggressive and hostile ?"

"Yes, Sir.

"Officer, are you sure it doesn't stand for asshole ?"

Well, Sir, you know your client better than I do.

How often can one get an attorney to convict his own client ?   

Maybe Zoso?

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Maybe Zoso?

I have not had a ticket in 20 years, so no, not me. Could be that is made up bullshit though, just like most things cops say.

We'll just leave Zoso out of this thread.  There's plenty of space for cop bashing.  Let's leave this one clear so I can keep responding.  I'd appreciate... but certainly don't expect him to remove the insult.  I'd like to be able to continue keeping this thread open. 

2 hours ago, odot1 said:

We'll just leave Zoso out of this thread.  There's plenty of space for cop bashing.  Let's leave this one clear so I can keep responding.  I'd appreciate... but certainly don't expect him to remove the insult.  I'd like to be able to continue keeping this thread open. 

being facts are not insults, I think I will leave it.

• 1 month later...

On a 4 lane highway with a centre lane that has a solid yellow and a yellow dash line are you allowed to pass slower traffic in that centre lane? (making three rows of cars then). We watched it on Hwy 10 south of Orangeville this morning, two cars, two separate times. I always thought it was a turning lane and not a passing lane. 

10 minutes ago, Stud boy said:

On a 4 lane highway with a centre lane that has a solid yellow and a yellow dash line are you allowed to pass slower traffic in that centre lane? (making three rows of cars then). We watched it on Hwy 10 south of Orangeville this morning, two cars, two separate times. I always thought it was a turning lane and not a passing lane. 

Its a turning lane.  I'm not familiar with that stretch but in this area setups like that have actual painted turning indicators in the lane as well.    The dashed/dotted yellow line just indicates you can enter that lane for its intended purpose.  It is a confusing paint scheme to be sure and I've not seen nor heard of any charges stemming from it.  In the absence of painted turn indicators or signage I'd think one would do well in court if charged.

• Like 1