PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

20 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Doesn't look like snowmobiling is the issue, it's the Essential Travel Order. Sled from home but you are only allowed to drive for Food, medication or medical care. No Hotel reservations either. 

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/59922/ontario-declares-second-provincial-emergency-to-address-covid-19-crisis-and-save-lives

No I do not mean to speak on Sean's behalf or represent this Thread in any way.

I'm expecting an update at some point this afternoon, but not holding out any hope it will be definitive.  By strictest definition the essential travel order negates any sledding.  But reading further you see where exercise and recreation is allowed.  It will depend on how they define this within the regulations themselves. I've already spoke directly to the OFSC this morning and they are just as confused as anyone about this and awaiting further clarification.  In the meantime, if you need to exercise for physical or mental health, I suggest you do it.  Avoid trails that are red or closed.  Do not stop trailside in large groups and use common sense.  I agree this sucks but we are all in it together....

Sean

• Like 1

Hopefully at some point, Sean will be able to respond on behalf of the OPP, who enforce the rules. My thinking is, if sledders are allowed to be out and about, on open trails, it would be nice if sledders could print out a copy stating that, and carry it with them, so if there was a confrontation, the letter could be produced, to help clear things up quickly without having to get into a huge confrontation. It has to be clear to all, so in my books, it,s either yes or no. We all know there are a few good cops, like Sean, but unfortunately, sometimes we do encounter one that isn,t so nice. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Hopefully at some point, Sean will be able to respond on behalf of the OPP, who enforce the rules. My thinking is, if sledders are allowed to be out and about, on open trails, it would be nice if sledders could print out a copy stating that, and carry it with them, so if there was a confrontation, the letter could be produced, to help clear things up quickly without having to get into a huge confrontation. It has to be clear to all, so in my books, it,s either yes or no. We all know there are a few good cops, like Sean, but unfortunately, sometimes we do encounter one that isn,t so nice. 

The latest from OFSC

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ofsc.on.ca/2021/01/13/no-change-for-ofsc-snowmobile-trails-at-this-time/__;!!ABXyrcI!d_5m4cSF8YAk49Aw06fTm6pmiARd2vFlu4Uzm1DN6nRl8b0NZyCJsVhjxOYSj-ogSC_t$

The OPP will continue to treat the trails as normal operations.  There will be scrutiny on groups of more than 5. But expect education, not enforcement. 

Closed trails, helmets, no trail pass and aftermarket exhaust will continue to be high priority items for enforcement. 

Sean

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Sean I’m planning to head my place in Griffith for a ride Thursday through Sunday. There are four (total) in my group.  Will we face any police interaction, other than typical, trail pass, ownership, licence checks and/or will there by any travel restrictions fines laid as a result.  Any info would help. Thanks  

1 minute ago, Poncho said:

Sean I’m planning to head my place in Griffith for a ride Thursday through Sunday. There are four (total) in my group.  Will we face any police interaction, other than typical, trail pass, ownership, licence checks and/or will there by any travel restrictions fines laid as a result.  Any info would help. Thanks  

Not from he police!!!  So far he only covid charges laid in East Region involved ou of own break and enter suspects!!!!  OPP have NOT been stopping vehicles, trucks/trailers to verify area of residence etc...  On the trail you will only face the usual checks...

Sean

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Not from he police!!!  So far he only covid charges laid in East Region involved ou of own break and enter suspects!!!!  OPP have NOT been stopping vehicles, trucks/trailers to verify area of residence etc...  On the trail you will only face the usual checks...

Sean

Thanks Sean

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, revrnd said:

https://muskoka411.com/snowmobile-rider-charged-after-taking-off-from-opp/

I hope I'm not putting you in a spot asking you about this, but what would've prevented the officers from laying a 'flee from police' charge?

That's a fair question and not putting me on the spot.  Crown attorneys and Justices always want the most applicable charges laid.  In this case the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act has a built in flight/flee offence so it's always best to use that.  Hope that helps...  if not, let me know....

Sean

• Thanks 1

We rode 300 miles in 2 days from my place in Griffith.  Trails good, No stops and no issues.  Plenty of sledders out.  It is sad there was nothing open, completely unnecessary, but we complied.  We saw groups of 10 but, it’s not an issue unless you are a Karen, like Trail and his woke left.

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Poncho said:

We rode 300 miles in 2 days from my place in Griffith.  Trails good, No stops and no issues.  Plenty of sledders out.  It is sad there was nothing open, completely unnecessary, but we complied.  We saw groups of 10 but, it’s not an issue unless you are a Karen, like Trail and his woke left.

15 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Heading up Feb 22 for another ride when restaurants open. 

That's awesome. Glad to see you out enjoying the trails.  The Mazinaw trails have always been my faves.  Best kept sled secret!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In light of the news segment of the F150 going thru the 'ice' on Lake Simcoe the other day I got into a discussion w/ a person that really doesn't have any knowledge of the situation.  In a case like this & recovery not possible until after ice out what (if any) charges and/or fines would the owner be liable for?

My friend says the fines would be huge. I didn't want to say if there would be fines if the truck was recovered or how 'huge' they would be. Sean do you (or anyone else) have any knowledge in how the MOE and/or MNR deals w/ these 'episodes'?

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

In light of the news segment of the F150 going thru the 'ice' on Lake Simcoe the other day I got into a discussion w/ a person that really doesn't have any knowledge of the situation.  In a case like this & recovery not possible until after ice out what (if any) charges and/or fines would the owner be liable for?

My friend says the fines would be huge. I didn't want to say if there would be fines if the truck was recovered or how 'huge' they would be. Sean do you (or anyone else) have any knowledge in how the MOE and/or MNR deals w/ these 'episodes'?

In my experience it's always case by case..   Most modern vehicles do not leak much if any fluids any more .  If there is environmental hazards such as fuel or oil spill the owner of the vehicle is responsible for all costs relating to the clean up.   Those costs can be big. We had someone sabotage a fuel line on one of our bigger boats dumping 100 gallons of diesel overboard. Cost about $50k to clean up.  Given that cleanup and recovery are all the owner you don't often see fines for vehicles through the ice.  If there is wilful neglect or criminal intent that's a different situation altogether and fines can go well beyond $25k.  Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

In my experience it's always case by case..   Most modern vehicles do not leak much if any fluids any more .  If there is environmental hazards such as fuel or oil spill the owner of the vehicle is responsible for all costs relating to the clean up.

That pretty much is similar to my thoughts. Its a few litres of motor oil, gear lube & ATF along w/ a tank of gas in Lake Simcoe. I doubt that when it's lifted off the bottom, there would be much 'sheen' on the surface. It's not like it's the Exxon Valdez or a broken pipeline. 

The recovery cost to the owner is enough of a fine.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

Hey Sean,

I'm hearing these tickets that are getting handed out for people gathering and not wearing masks are getting thrown out of court due to it being against our constitutional rights.  Do you know if that's true? Just wondering if I will be going to jail this weekend or getting a big fine ahhahahaha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renegade X said:

Hey Sean,

I'm hearing these tickets that are getting handed out for people gathering and not wearing masks are getting thrown out of court due to it being against our constitutional rights.  Do you know if that's true? Just wondering if I will be going to jail this weekend or getting a big fine ahhahahaha

Honestly,  in my region we've only laid a few.  And they were laid on out of area people...that were...ummm.... not doing good things...   I wouldn't be surprised at them being withdrawn/dismissed just based on the climate.  I can't see a valid constitutional argument though, given it's an extreme public health concern.. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Honestly,  in my region we've only laid a few.  And they were laid on out of area people...that were...ummm.... not doing good things...   I wouldn't be surprised at them being withdrawn/dismissed just based on the climate.  I can't see a valid constitutional argument though, given it's an extreme public health concern.. 

Thanks for the reply man.  My copper buddies were the ones saying its unconstitutional but they are not OPP.   I'm not sure if it would be considered bad things that we are going to do, just a birthday party LOL!!  Oh well, what ever happens, happens.

Thanks again! 

• Like 1