PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Hi Odot,

As you are regularly on trails and taking helmets off and on I have a few helmet strap related questions.

I have seen many different brands of helmet quick release buckles for sale.  Are these legal to add to your helmet?

Have you seen any cases where these buckles fail in a crash resulting in or potentially result in more severe injury?

Would you or do you use a quick release and if so any recommendations on brand?

thank you

dave 

Hey Dave, great questions!!!  We do use quick release buckles on all our helmets.  I honestly can't tell you what brand as our equipment is supplied to us and comes ready to wear out of the box.  I've never seen any failures bot personally and in a collision. When helmets fail in collisions it's because they weren't buckled tight enough or not at all.  There are no regulations against the buckles 

Go to your local powersports store and check out what they have.  I find some are more of a pain to use than others.  

Sesn

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Hey Dave, great questions!!!  We do use quick release buckles on all our helmets.  I honestly can't tell you what brand as our equipment is supplied to us and comes ready to wear out of the box.  I've never seen any failures bot personally and in a collision. When helmets fail in collisions it's because they weren't buckled tight enough or not at all.  There are no regulations against the buckles 

Go to your local powersports store and check out what they have.  I find some are more of a pain to use than others.  

Sesn

Thank you for the reply.

When you look online and see buckles from 3 or 5 for $15 up to $50 for one I worry about quality and or durability.  

If your subjected to enough force in a crash to have your helmet fly off I wonder how strong of a buckle is required to hold the helmet in place  

Edited by Sksman

Just now, Sksman said:

Thank you for the reply.

When you look online and see buckles from 3 or 5 for $15 up to $50 for one I worry about quality and or durability.  

If your subjected to enough force in a crash to have your helmet fly off I wonder how strong of a buckle is required to hold the helmet in place  

All the helmet losses I've seen (and I've seen way too many) were the result of no strap, or the strap being way too loose.  I've noticed many times this year people using the small plastic snap to "buckle" their helmet on.  The snap that is used to secure the access strap out of the way.  Not caring or noticing the strap dangling easily 2 inches under their chin.  I've yet to see a quick release fail.  Having said that, I'd probably go for the more expensive ones.  Ours are a combination of metal and plastic.  They are hard to manipulate with gloves and even bare hands at times.  But they work well.  

1 minute ago, odot1 said:

All the helmet losses I've seen (and I've seen way too many) were the result of no strap, or the strap being way too loose.  I've noticed many times this year people using the small plastic snap to "buckle" their helmet on.  The snap that is used to secure the access strap out of the way.  Not caring or noticing the strap dangling easily 2 inches under their chin.  I've yet to see a quick release fail.  Having said that, I'd probably go for the more expensive ones.  Ours are a combination of metal and plastic.  They are hard to manipulate with gloves and even bare hands at times.  But they work well.  

This is the one we use...  https://www.amazon.ca/Echo-Quick-Release-Black-Size/dp/B002MQCY7C/ref=pd_lpo_263_t_1/144-7221595-0800522?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002MQCY7C&pd_rd_r=f0966f8f-dae5-4158-aa55-f7455ad16f11&pd_rd_w=6gw7c&pd_rd_wg=nJxT3&pf_rd_p=256a14b6-93bc-4bcd-9f68-aea60d2878b9&pf_rd_r=PMQ5C3FTXYYB97VK4SAH&psc=1&refRID=PMQ5C3FTXYYB97VK4SAH

7 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Thank you for the reply.

This is similar to what is supplied with our FXR helmets...  https://www.amazon.ca/Helmet-Buckle-Release-Motorcycle-Disconnect/dp/B07GFCMJMQ/ref=pd_sbs_263_1/144-7221595-0800522?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GFCMJMQ&pd_rd_r=92a363b0-0246-46f7-a757-dc3829d50983&pd_rd_w=MLuI4&pd_rd_wg=egyiH&pf_rd_p=3885b243-7797-4c4b-b0ae-97ca9ec36283&pf_rd_r=6TV1VQ3M7HPRFRPRRF69&psc=1&refRID=6TV1VQ3M7HPRFRPRRF69

Question came up in a recent conversation. Friend of a friend etc, etc.

Complete drunkard who lost his license thinks he can get a snowmobile license to get around. Possible? What do/can you fellas check for at stops to weed these weasels out??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Question came up in a recent conversation. Friend of a friend etc, etc.

Complete drunkard who lost his license thinks he can get a snowmobile license to get around. Possible? What do/can you fellas check for at stops to weed these weasels out??

It depends on how his license was lost.  But generally, no he can not just get a sled licence and go on his merry way.  And yes we can check the validity of his licence trail side.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, woodyf said:

Happy New Year!

Thank you for all you 2020 Help. We all appreciate it!

I wish you a great 2021!

Thanks!   Always enjoy this group of guys. Looking forward to getting out on the trails!!  All the best to you and your loved ones, hopefully 2021 is a better year for all.   

Sean

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member

Well Sean, what's the official opinion of traveling to sled during the "Lockdown"?

I read stories about OPP pulling trailers over headed north and telling them to go back home.

What's the deal?

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well Sean, what's the official opinion of traveling to sled during the "Lockdown"?

I read stories about OPP pulling trailers over headed north and telling them to go back home.

What's the deal?

Great question...  we encourage all people to abide by their local health unit and provincial guidelines. While there is a strong encouragement to avoid non essential travel there is no legislation outright banning travel. I've not heard of any checkpoints turning people around nor is there legislation to support that. I know the OFSC has talked about trail closures based on covid numbers but they've yet to implement that.  I can say we will be more strict about laying charges for riding on closed trails this year.  Regardless of the reason for closure the rider will receive  a trespass ticket..  $65.  This was happening with or without covid.  Expect little or no tolerance for trail cans and aftermarket exhaust as well.  Landowners have spoken loud and clear.  Excess noise = no trails.  Regardless of personal thoughts towards the cans...I'd rather have trails to ride on!!  Hopefully this is a safe, fun and long season!  Sadly we already a fatality in Eastern Ontario.  

Sean

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, odot1 said:

Great question...  we encourage all people to abide by their local health unit and provincial guidelines. While there is a strong encouragement to avoid non essential travel there is no legislation outright banning travel. I've not heard of any checkpoints turning people around nor is there legislation to support that. I know the OFSC has talked about trail closures based on covid numbers but they've yet to implement that.  I can say we will be more strict about laying charges for riding on closed trails this year.  Regardless of the reason for closure the rider will receive  a trespass ticket..  $65.  This was happening with or without covid.  Expect little or no tolerance for trail cans and aftermarket exhaust as well.  Landowners have spoken loud and clear.  Excess noise = no trails.  Regardless of personal thoughts towards the cans...I'd rather have trails to ride on!!  Hopefully this is a safe, fun and long season!  Sadly we already a fatality in Eastern Ontario.  

Sean

Thanks Sean, always appreciate your responses.

Actually, I believe the OFSC has closed a section of trail.

This section of Railbed on the B110 at Dundalk is closed as it is at the border of 2 different PHU’s. I don’t believe there is any enforcement. Riders say there are no closed signs in place.

03C641B8-287D-4F4C-8355-D8BD513124FB.thumb.png.c279e7331fb14532ff3c7b54d95dec7c.png

A strange year for sledding.

Be safe.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, odot1 said:

Sean

This is good info, & question to ask, given the environment right now.

Reading that people are suggesting they have been told to turn around, but as stated, that is not allowed or what has been communicated by the government. 

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

This is good info, & question to ask, given the environment right now.

Reading that people are suggesting they have been told to turn around, but as stated, that is not allowed or what has been communicated by the government. 

We have not told anyone to turn around nor have we been directed to do so.  The main covid issues we seem to deal with are "large gatherings"   Many of you will remember several years ago when people were saying charges were being laid for trailer hitches sticking out without trailers attached. Simply not true.  There's always a group that likes to create that divide and spreads misinformation. This is no different.  

• Like 4

On 1/7/2021 at 11:51 PM, Blackstar said:

What's the deal?

On 1/8/2021 at 12:02 AM, odot1 said:

Great question...  we encourage all people to abide by their local health unit and provincial guidelines. While there is a strong encouragement to avoid non essential travel there is no legislation outright banning travel.

Sean

On 1/8/2021 at 12:37 PM, odot1 said:

We have not told anyone to turn around nor have we been directed to do so.  The main covid issues we seem to deal with are "large gatherings"   Many of you will remember several years ago when people were saying charges were being laid for trailer hitches sticking out without trailers attached. Simply not true.  There's always a group that likes to create that divide and spreads misinformation. This is no different.  

After reading the posts, I was talking to the neighbour at our woodlot on Sat' & said that I'd had the sled out on the property. 

Neighbour: Did you hear what happened in Tweed?

Me (expecting news of a sledding fatality): No was there an accident?

Neighbour: No apparently they're fining and turning people around with snowmobile trailers.

Me: I'm not sure if that's legit or not (and I told him what you had said.

I'm guessing Tweed is in you territory Sean? This is getting really stupid. A lot of these 'I heard it from a cousin who's friend told him he saw it on Faceplant' stories...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

After reading the posts, I was talking to the neighbour at our woodlot on Sat' & said that I'd had the sled out on the property. 

Neighbour: Did you hear what happened in Tweed?

Me (expecting news of a sledding fatality): No was there an accident?

Neighbour: No apparently they're fining and turning people around with snowmobile trailers.

Me: I'm not sure if that's legit or not (and I told him what you had said.

I'm guessing Tweed is in you territory Sean? This is getting really stupid. A lot of these 'I heard it from a cousin who's friend told him he saw it on Faceplant' stories...

Tweed is definitely in my area. I've not heard of this at all. In fact I was working that area on Friday. At no time did we turn anyone around.  Really there's barely any snow anyways.  If we get orders to turn people around, I'll post on here and let you guys know ASAP.  I honestly do NOT expect to make that post.  

Sean

• Like 2

1 hour ago, franks pond said:

we trailered from tweed on sat,did a quick 70 miles and trailered back,passed a couple cruisers no problems

1 hour ago, franks pond said:

got to test out my buddy,s new polaris 850,sweet ride

That's great!  Love hearing this.  

On 1/11/2021 at 6:54 AM, odot1 said:

Tweed is definitely in my area. I've not heard of this at all. In fact I was working that area on Friday. At no time did we turn anyone around.  Really there's barely any snow anyways.  If we get orders to turn people around, I'll post on here and let you guys know ASAP.  I honestly do NOT expect to make that post.  

Sean

Not sure if you wanna touch this one (you can tell me to take a hike..lol) but if it came down to that, would you enforce that because your captain told you to?  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Not sure if you wanna touch this one (you can tell me to take a hike..lol) but if it came down to that, would you enforce that because your captain told you to?  

Well.... we don't have captains in the OPP so you're safe!!!   😁

I will say all provincial statues are officer discretion.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Hi Sean, what is your take as far as snowmobiling goes, of Doug Fords latest info re lockdown ? Can sledders go sledding for exercise, or only if they are going to pick up groceries ?

We are currently discussing this.  So far nothing is black and white...  I will update you guys as soon as I have a concrete answer.  I can say we are continuing to educate and enforce riding on closed trails.  OFSC is pushing hard for us to deal with this issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Hi Sean, what is your take as far as snowmobiling goes, of Doug Fords latest info re lockdown ? Can sledders go sledding for exercise, or only if they are going to pick up groceries ?

Doesn't look like snowmobiling is the issue, it's the Essential Travel Order. Sled from home but you are only allowed to drive for Food, medication or medical care. No Hotel reservations either. 

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/59922/ontario-declares-second-provincial-emergency-to-address-covid-19-crisis-and-save-lives

No I do not mean to speak on Sean's behalf or represent this Thread in any way.

• Like 3