In other news ... term limits finally introduced!!

Except it's introduced by Democrats, and only targets the SCOTUS.  Tell ya what, I'm all for it if you start where it belongs and that's in the House and the Senate!!  How do people not see through this shit???

House Democrats push bill that would term limit Supreme Court justices

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Biden could appoint more SC judges.

Then do it already.  The democrats have been squawking like a stuck pig since Trump took office about it.

Like a few other things, it'll probably backfire as the general population would see the court packing for what it is.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

Why all of the sudden is the amount of SC judges or their length of stay an issue?

Start with the portion of government that's passing the laws and impose term limits on them

Edited by Skidooski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Why all of the sudden is the amount of SC judges or there length of stay an issue?

Start with the portion of government that is passing the laws and impose term limits on them

And therein lies the problem.  If people can't recognize the SCOTUS has operated this way forever, but cannot deal with it because of Trump appointees (and Roe v. Wade is the hot button topic) ... it's clear the rules need to be changed so the libs can get their way.  Libtwats still think abortion is outright banned - they don't acknowledge it's in the power of the states, which is where it should be.

• Like 2

I fully support term limits in congress but not within the Supreme Court.   Look how people complain that a 50 year old ruling was overturned.   Term limits or stacking the court would cause more significant swings in govt power over us.   It would be hard to keep track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I fully support term limits in congress but not within the Supreme Court.   Look how people complain that a 50 year old ruling was overturned.   Term limits or stacking the court would cause more significant swings in govt power over us.   It would be hard to keep track. 

i think age limit at the SCJ but no term limit.  

I could deal with an age limit (80?) for justices appointed in the future. But - the current ones are 'grandfathered' by the rules in place when they were appointed. 

Maybe a way to get term limits in congress would be to do the same. If you are in, you stay as long as you get reelected. For anyone new elected after 2026 (for example), the get two terms in the senate, four terms in congress. It would take a while to flush out the current members, but there is no way they are going to vote in term limits for themselves. 

Edited by Catalina

19 hours ago, Bontz said:

Except it's introduced by Democrats, and only targets the SCOTUS.  Tell ya what, I'm all for it if you start where it belongs and that's in the House and the Senate!!  How do people not see through this shit???

House Democrats push bill that would term limit Supreme Court justices

Can't do it with just a law.   Need a constitutional amendment.   Don't need that to stack it but would need it to place term limits. 

Article III, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution reads that judges shall remain in their position so long as they follow "good behaviour." This has long indicated that judges, including Supreme Court justices, have lifetime tenure. 

The general consensus among legal experts is that there would have to be a constitutional amendment in order to create term limits. Some political and legal scholars believe it can be done through other legislation that would move justices to other positions in the court, although this has not been tested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

I probably could get behind that amendment.  Can't be done by law alone.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

If it's gonna be put in place for SCOTUS, then it should be put in place for all of the DC political positions ... POTUS, Senate, and House.  But the real need is term limits for the politicians, not the judges.

Just now, Highmark said:

I probably could get behind that amendment.  Can't be done by law alone.  

The fact it can't be done by law alone will (likely) prevent it from ever happening.

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

If it's gonna be put in place for SCOTUS, then it should be put in place for all of the DC political positions ... POTUS, Senate, and House.  But the real need is term limits for the politicians, not the judges.

The fact it can't be done by law alone will (likely) prevent it from ever happening.

Completely agree.

10 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

scotus should have an age limit as should all offices.  there should be term limits as well for elected officials.  

100% agree 

64 is the max in the military.  So why it it there comander and chief can be 80 and litteraly shitting his pants as he sends them off to war ? 

70 max for any government job