$ 20M medical marijuana grow facility proposed for the village of Kingsley MI

Be interesting to see how this turns out. I live literally 8 miles from Kingsley and with the closing of the prison last fall, many good paying jobs were lost in the area. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Rice said:

Be interesting to see how this turns out. I live literally 8 miles from Kingsley and with the closing of the prison last fall, many good paying jobs were lost in the area. 

Nice to have another Northern Michigander here. :bc:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rice said:

I sincerely hope the 100 new jobs will get people past their objections to the devil weed and they pass this. You live in the area - what's the word on the street about this?

• Like 1

I have only just read about this on MLive today, so I haven't had any interaction with anyone about this yet. I plan on asking some locals what their opinions are. If I get any to share, I'll report back on the site.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

They clearly haven't thought this all through. 

A big problem here is you will have 20 growers in close proximity to one another. Biosecurity would suck.

Explain the biosecurity problem.

4 hours ago, hayward said:

Explain the biosecurity problem.

Spider mites, thrips, aphids, and fungus gnats all attack cannabis to varying degrees. 

If one grower carries in some spider mites on his clothing, it could easily spread and infect everyone in the building. 

6 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Spider mites, thrips, aphids, and fungus gnats all attack cannabis to varying degrees. 

If one grower carries in some spider mites on his clothing, it could easily spread and infect everyone in the building. 

Just went by an area with a mass # of large chicken house buildings scattered around a relatively small area (size of one county) yesterday.  All these buildings are "biosecure", locked up tight, no one off the farm allowed in.  Was thinking it's been like this for as long as I can remember until now.  Now, alot of them have free-range areas penned off outside of the buildings so the chickens can come outside and meandor around into the open.  Now how the hell is that biosecure?  One can walk right up to the fence and have access to them.  

I know a bit about spider mites.  Wonder if it's the same little bastard that infects Timothy hay?  If we don't spray 1.5 quarts of carboryl at a young stage of the plant, The timothy leaves curl up tight like their in a drought even though it's not, and can lose up to 70% of it's yeild.  Gotta almost use magnafying glass to see em on the leaves, too.   

1 hour ago, hayward said:

Just went by an area with a mass # of large chicken house buildings scattered around a relatively small area (size of one county) yesterday.  All these buildings are "biosecure", locked up tight, no one off the farm allowed in.  Was thinking it's been like this for as long as I can remember until now.  Now, alot of them have free-range areas penned off outside of the buildings so the chickens can come outside and meandor around into the open.  Now how the hell is that biosecure?  One can walk right up to the fence and have access to them.  

I know a bit about spider mites.  Wonder if it's the same little bastard that infects Timothy hay?  If we don't spray 1.5 quarts of carboryl at a young stage of the plant, The timothy leaves curl up tight like their in a drought even though it's not, and can lose up to 70% of it's yeild.  Gotta almost use magnafying glass to see em on the leaves, too.   

Interesting.  I used to have a portable toilet company and had a customer called Arbor Acres, they operated about 60 chicken farms all over the state, and we were responsible for servicing the portable toilets.  They were all specially designed and accessed from outside the fence, because no vehicles or outside workers were allowed insid the fence, and if you had to go inside, you'd have to spray the truck tires, boots, etc., all down to decontaminate everything.  Major protocols for keeping disease and germs out of the chicken population.  This sounds very similar.

2 hours ago, hayward said:

Probably the same bug. They're bastards. About the only thing worse than mites is fusarium wilt. 

9 hours ago, motonoggin said:

not a issue they have had extremely large operations in CA and CO growing in close proximity for yrs  and in Holland for decades . they just run em like a clean room  .

I toured a very large operation in Holland all the workers showered then changed in to work suits in other room 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

not a issue they have had extremely large operations in CA and CO growing in close proximity for yrs  and in Holland for decades . they just run em like a clean room  .

I toured a very large operation in Holland all the workers showered then changed in to work suits in other room 

As a grower, I wouldn't want to be close to any other grows. You're asking for disease, in my experience.

4 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

We should get them to move that up to Ontario. No sense investing all that time and money to have Pence shut them down after the Donald gets impeached.

What do they raise in all those huge greenhouses from Niagara Falls out a ways till you really get into the green belt, around all those vinyards?  Holy hell what an investment in that stretch of a few miles.