Small block chebby rebuild.

21 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I've done so many builds/rebuilds of those thru the years I lost count.

All I could think about is the fucking stink that comes out of a 50+ year old motor. It’s the kind of smell that follows a guy for days. 

9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

All I could think about is the fucking stink that comes out of a 50+ year old motor. It’s the kind of smell that follows a guy for days. 

No that’s the smell I got from my 2021 HD after I got it back when it sat for a month waiting for a new engine with an old lunch in the back seat 

good lord 

• Haha 1

Btw I rebuilt a lot of SBC’s back in the day 

everyone made a big deal of setting the valves on them but it’s really easy as fuck 

my old boss 20 years ago— “if you can’t rebuild a Chevy 350 while drunk you have no business building engines”— Theodore Herntier, convicted murderer 

Just now, ACE said:

Dang it I think the 283 came out in 58

Yes. I believe it was "58 when a few design changes occurred. Namely, an oil filter was added. Prior it was a factory or dealer installed option. The filter was mounted on top of the motor between the intake manifold and thermostat housing. Motors with the factory installed oil filters are super rare. 

2 minutes ago, IRONDOG said:

1957 actually.

It's a 67 or older because it still has the canister oil filter probably a 283 having the 2 barrel carb.  Like you said Irondog 283 was 1957.  Was a 265 CI in 1955 and 1956 and the 1955 did not have an external oil filter but 1956 did.  

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

It's a 67 or older because it still has the canister oil filter probably a 283 having the 2 barrel carb.  Like you said Irondog 283 was 1957.  Was a 265 CI in 1955 and 1956 and the 1955 did not have an external oil filter but 1956 did.  

Yes and those type of exhaust manifolds tell me Chevelle chassis.

Development started in 1953 under Ed Cole. They came up with the 265 released in 1955 but very hard to get. One of the big successes for the sbc was the casting process. Only 9 sand cores needed.

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Development started in 1953 under Ed Cole. They came up with the 265 released in 1955 but very hard to get. One of the big successes for the sbc was the casting process. Only 9 sand cores needed.

That one came out of a vehicle that had power steering.  The power steering pump was mounted off the back of the generator.

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

That one came out of a vehicle that had power steering.  The power steering pump was mounted off the back of the generator.

Yes that’s correct.