I'm looking at a 2016 600 MXZX with 10,000 miles.

Liggett

Being a Polaris guy, I'd walk away from that mileage.

I know very little about Skidoo so could use some advice.

I want an inexpensive, relatively low maintaince, sled for the 64yr. old wife who probably won't ride much. And possibly for me as back-up.

Seller is second owner and only knows that he took the sled to the dealer after he purchased it last fall and had it serviced. They did install new intake boots and new rollers in clutches. He knows nothing else. Newbie.

What say you Bombardier folks?

And, it's a 4hr. one-way drive. Which doesn't bother, if you think it's worth risking 4200.

• Gold Member

Umm low maintenance is not a 2 stroke with 10k miles I’d pass. Honestly if it’s a sled for the wife that doesn’t ride much or need to go crazy fast and you want something that doesn’t cost a fortune the ski-doo neo is a pretty good deal and brand new with warranty.

17 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Umm low maintenance is not a 2 stroke with 10k miles I’d pass. Honestly if it’s a sled for the wife that doesn’t ride much or need to go crazy fast and you want something that doesn’t cost a fortune the ski-doo neo is a pretty good deal and brand new with warranty.

She wouldn't fit well on a Neo.

With 10K on I'd be concerned with the bottom end if it hasn't been gone through.  They have sealed Isoflex bearings on the crank so they are not lubricated by the injection oil and require maintenance at or before that amount of mileage.

If you can't get a better history of the sled I'd keep shopping.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

Don't know your riding preference with her but if she won't be riding much maybe consider renting a sled for her.  Typically they are new current model sleds.  You can give her the chance to ride different brands and models to see what she feels most comfortable and then purchase a sled from there.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

Don't know your riding preference with her but if she won't be riding much maybe consider renting a sled for her.  Typically they are new current model sleds.  You can give her the chance to ride different brands and models to see what she feels most comfortable and then purchase a sled from there.

Not an option near us, but we can ride from home. I may have her go out on a buds' GF/wife's sleds first. But that requires snow, and we know what happens to the price of anything that runs 'n goes then.

7 hours ago, Doug said:

With 10K on I'd be concerned with the bottom end if it hasn't been gone through.  They have sealed Isoflex bearings on the crank so they are not lubricated by the injection oil and require maintenance at or before that amount of mileage.

If you can't get a better history of the sled I'd keep shopping.

Does the 16 goo still have Isoflex or has that been changed to pressure lubricated roller bearings like the 850?

4 minutes ago, Liggett said:

Does the 16 goo still have Isoflex or has that been changed to pressure lubricated roller bearings like the 850?

Yes the 2016 still has Isoflex bearings.  Ski-Doo started injecting oil to the crank again starting with 850.

There will be some nice Doo's out there that have the bottom ends done.  Ski-Doo also offers an exchange program with a warranty as long as the installation is done by a certified Ski-Doo tech.

As others have said and with any brand with higher mileage look close at the track and plan on going through all the bearings and clutches if they haven't been done.  Having the shocks rebuilt should also be done.

5 minutes ago, Doug said:

Yes the 2016 still has Isoflex bearings.  Ski-Doo started injecting oil to the crank again starting with 850.

There will be some nice Doo's out there that have the bottom ends done.  Ski-Doo also offers an exchange program with a warranty as long as the installation is done by a certified Ski-Doo tech.

As others have said and with any brand with higher mileage look close at the track and plan on going through all the bearings and clutches if they haven't been done.  Having the shocks rebuilt should also be done.

Yeah, I'm hip on the shock and track part and both sleds tracks are good. (been replaced). '16 has had clutcher gone thru by dealer laft fall, new slides, wheel bearings and intake boots. I talked to the dealer wrench that did the work. Says it's a good sled but you know..... also said he has 600's with isoflex bearing out there with 14000 on them all original. exchange program? On crank parts/rebuild?

8 minutes ago, Liggett said:

Yeah, I'm hip on the shock and track part and both sleds tracks are good. (been replaced). '16 has had clutcher gone thru by dealer laft fall, new slides, wheel bearings and intake boots. I talked to the dealer wrench that did the work. Says it's a good sled but you know..... also said he has 600's with isoflex bearing out there with 14000 on them all original. exchange program? On crank parts/rebuild?

The exchange program is a full short block replacement.  Don't quote me but think they are around $3500 plus labor.  I mostly work on Polaris and my friend mostly works on Ski-Doo.  We send customers in both our directions and help each other out.

It's nice knowing the history of a sled.  How they are maintained, driven, tailered and stored has a lot to do with the reliability of them.  One with 10K it would be nice to know some of those details.  It may be a good sled and not have any issues or could be a ticking timebomb.

Yep. Thanks.

This is becoming more and more something I don't want to do. New platform to learn, the high mileage could quickly eat up any low price, parts supply to repair this year is iffy. Not to mention that we don't know where the economy and fuel prices are going by wintertime.

If the economy goes really south and/or gas price is $10.00, maybe there will be reasonable 2015+ 600 ProS come to the market!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tough call

I have an 09 600 Etec with over 10,000 miles. Starts easy and runs great, I used it as my backup sled on my last UP trip when the primary failed on my 14 800 Etec.

Id make sure its completely cold, start it up and put it into reverse after about 10 seconds of it running. If it stalls out, pass... if it goes right into reverse, maybe offer $3500 and see where it goes from there. If a dealership had their hands on it last season I'm sure they sold him everything they could, might be a good machine