How we have forgotten, these men were my hero's growing up

NextShark

Tearful WWII vet says on his 100th birthday that current state of America is 'not what they died for'

a1eef2b5f162d8abfad84fd3235650bf
Ryan General
Tue, July 5, 2022 at 2:02 PM

A U.S. veteran who saw action in World War II lamented the current state of the country while celebrating his 100th birthday.

Carl Spurlin Dekel, who spent his special day on June 29 with friends and family, broke down in tears as he told Fox13 in an interview shared the day after that his fellow soldiers did not die in the war for what America has now purportedly become.

“People don’t realize what they have… the things we did and the things we fought for and the boys that died for it, it’s all gone down the drain. Our country is going to hell in a handbasket,” Dekel said.

According to the Silver Star recipient, he has lived a good life, attributing his longevity, happiness and good health to his appreciation for the small things.

“I sincerely believe in this whole world, that everything is beautiful,” he shared. “If I wake up in the morning and see these plants out here… and all those flowers that are in there, and the green grass on the ground, that’s beautiful.”

While the native of Lakeland, Florida, takes pride in all the awards and recognition he has received, his memories of his friends in the Marines who he lost in the war bring him to tears.

“We haven’t got the country we had when I was raised, not at all,” Dekel claimed. “Nobody will have the fun I had. Nobody will have the opportunity I had. It’s just not the same. And that’s not what our boys, that’s not what they died for.”

While Dekel did not go into details, his dissatisfaction with the country’s current state reflects the views of the majority of the population based on a survey by Pew Research Center published in January.

The study reveals that 21 percent of Americans are satisfied with “the way things are going in the country today,” while 78 percent feel dissatisfied. The study also noted that the majority of the public view the country’s current economic situation in a negative light.

“I want the young kids to realize that freedom comes with a heavy price,” Dekle said in an interview with Plant City Courier & Tribune in 2009. “It isn’t given to people out of the goodness of others. It’s something you have to fight and sometimes die for.”

I remember my grandpa shaking his fist at the TV as the Iraq invasion unfolded in 2003. All he could say was “this isn’t what I fought for”. He was disgusted with the perpetual war for profit that the US had turned to. That was a real eye opener for me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

I remember my grandpa shaking his fist at the TV as the Iraq invasion unfolded in 2003. All he could say was “this isn’t what I fought for”. He was disgusted with the perpetual war for profit that the US had turned to. That was a real eye opener for me. 

Mine died in 98 but he never spoke about the war with us. He was in the Philippines. My dad always said he hated the japs so I was pretty nervous when my ex wife and I bought a honda. He said, "Everyone says those are great cars" :dunno: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

Mine died in 98 but he never spoke about the war with us. He was in the Philippines. My dad always said he hated the japs so I was pretty nervous when my ex wife and I bought a honda. He said, "Everyone says those are great cars" :dunno: 

Mine was in Europe and Korea ....He nearly didn’t make it out of Korea 

44 minutes ago, Anler said:

My uncle was in Korea

Same, and I've had great grandfathers fight in both world wars.

This was recently received from my father who got it from my great aunt. Her husband was a casualty of mustard gas in WW1 and was honorably discharged due to that. From what I've heard, he obviously survived, but his quality of life after the mustard gas attack caused him to suffer the rest of it. 

War.jpg

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

America provoked the Japanese. And what threat was Germany to the US? Really? 

Yah , that’s totally the same :lol: 

Your analyses on Russia’s last transgressions and current intentions is MC level retarded 

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
44 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

America provoked the Japanese. And what threat was Germany to the US? Really? 

What did the Japanese do with this provocation?

Edited by Skidooski

41 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Your analyses on Russia’s last transgressions and current intentions is MC level retarded 

Do

Edited by spin_dry

39 minutes ago, f7ben said:

How was germany a threat to America, 

Just now, spin_dry said:

America cut off their trade routes and 90% of their oil. 

That’s not answering my simple question 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

They warned america that what they did was an act of war. They were really given no choice but to attack 

You prolonged that as much as you could :lol:

• Like 1