Every new passenger car sold in the world will be electric by 2040, says Exxon Mobil CEO Darren Woods

so how does that change the need for oil? Gasoline is one of about 50 products that come from a barrel of oil.  Almost every piece of plastic has oil  in it not to mention asphalt, and diesel fuel. Large ships and trains plus about a third of our electrical generation all run on oil. I don't think the electrical grid could be updated to a level to support electric cars on that level in 20 years. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Is this why 3 new Gas Stations have been built in my little town,  on the same fucking street,  just this past year ??? :news:

You mean convenience stores that sell gas.

• Platinum Contributing Member
46 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I can't think of a gas station around that doesn't have a convience store these days.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

They are already limiting the amount of car chargers allowed on some streets. The transmission for that kind of power draw is just not around at the residential level country wide and the fix will not be quick or cheap.

Some scientific org did a study that showed up to 75 million EV could be powered and there would still be reserve capacity. The bottle neck is that local neighborhoods don’t have the load carrying capacity. I don’t understand why it has to be one or the other. The best mix would be a hybrid form of transportation with gas and EV’s running together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Some scientific org did a study that showed up to 75 million EV could be powered and there would still be reserve capacity. The bottle neck is that local neighborhoods don’t have the load carrying capacity. I don’t understand why it has to be one or the other. The best mix would be a hybrid form of transportation with gas and EV’s running together. 

It is still the battery as the hold up. If the slow discharge capacitors come on line I think it would be more doable as they charge in the time it would take you to pump gas. I think the EV world still has a decade of teething before it gets to a level.

4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

So meanwhile we (Mobil) will be fucking you up the ass royally…

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/25/exxon-mobil-ceo-all-new-passenger-cars-will-be-electric-by-2040.html

We won't have the grid nor the power available with out the power company's massively stepping up there game . And I do not see it happen . Fuck almost no old school neighborhoods in the city or the burbs even has lines to have a car charging in every garage . You think CA rolling black outs are bad now . You ain't seen shit yet 

14 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Sounds like Exxon will survive and are positioning themselves for the future.  

They are which is why they have a joint venture chemical plant with the Saudis in Texas.

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/petrochemicals/011422-exxonmobil-sabics-new-texas-petrochemical-complex-online-source

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

13 hours ago, Steve753 said:

I can't think of a gas station around that doesn't have a convience store these days.

That's where they make their money but now with such high inflation AND record high gas prices they aren't making money.

Oh well, MC says we have way too many small businesses anyways   :suicide:

Edited by Skidooski
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 2:34 PM, Skidooski said:

Probably about right. YAY for our electrical grid 

EV's they will be, doesn't mean that they will have batteries.  If battery tech can make a monstrous jump sure, but with the investment of fuel cells there will be an alternative power source for the electric motor.

• Gold Member
On 6/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, Mainecat said:

what costs more money to setup , the tanks in the ground and 12 pumps ?

or a small building with candy bars, soda and cigarettes ? 

Its not just the electrical grid its the other materials needed for such a dramatic change in vehicle production.  Lots of money to be made investing in the companies providing these materials.   Too bad China leads in so many of them.  A move towards electric cars will make China exponentially more powerful than it already is.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/13/1085707854/how-a-handful-of-metals-could-determine-the-future-of-the-electric-car-industry

https://www.iea.org/reports/the-role-of-critical-minerals-in-clean-energy-transitions/executive-summary

ge.JPG

16280222-15132618478684318.png

BsJOMbFJ4o1hODsjCE4s50yDkE7tUr3Mpa5NVHLx87g.jpg

Edited by Highmark

On 6/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Carlos Danger said:

so how does that change the need for oil? Gasoline is one of about 50 products that come from a barrel of oil.  Almost every piece of plastic has oil  in it not to mention asphalt, and diesel fuel. Large ships and trains plus about a third of our electrical generation all run on oil. I don't think the electrical grid could be updated to a level to support electric cars on that level in 20 years. 

Just stop with the common sense bullshit.    :lol: 

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

EV's they will be, doesn't mean that they will have batteries.  If battery tech can make a monstrous jump sure, but with the investment of fuel cells there will be an alternative power source for the electric motor.

Obama shut down fuel cells about 15 years ago

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Energy density of batteries is tripling every 10 years and accelerating during the last 5. In another 20 years battery technology will be mind blowing. 

They've had a long time to figure how to get them to last in cold weather and still can't. I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Its not just the electrical grid its the other materials needed for such a dramatic change in vehicle production.  Lots of money to be made investing in the companies providing these materials.   Too bad China leads in so many of them.  A move towards electric cars will make China exponentially more powerful than it already is.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/13/1085707854/how-a-handful-of-metals-could-determine-the-future-of-the-electric-car-industry

https://www.iea.org/reports/the-role-of-critical-minerals-in-clean-energy-transitions/executive-summary

ge.JPG

16280222-15132618478684318.png

BsJOMbFJ4o1hODsjCE4s50yDkE7tUr3Mpa5NVHLx87g.jpg

Lithium and many of those materials won’t be needed once sodium-ion batteries come online. Sodium, manganese, and iron are the main ingredients. Lithium batteries are mainly a stop gap.