Arctic Circle melting away...all-time heat records may fall

• Platinum Contributing Member
34 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Name one. :news:

Hurricane Sandy....can't believe that was 10 years ago....Hurricane force winds well inland....never seen that b4 in our area.....another once in a lifetime tropical storm last year...had like 10 inches of rain in 3 hours. A warmer atmosphere supports more moisture.  Worst flooding I have ever seen in my lifetime. 2 of the worst storms we've ever had occurred in the last 10 years......both considered once in a lifetime events. Guess Im living several lifetimes:lol:

29 minutes ago, Snake said:

".... climate change may account for a 1-2% increase in hurricane strength, or 1-2 mph."

:lol:

More moisture content....than anything

• Haha 1

Do you blindly and ignorantly just believe everything Yahoo news spews to you? :dunno:

Ever, once, did any fact checking? 

The deadliest hurricane in U.S. history was the 1900 Galveston Hurricane, a Category 4 storm that essentially obliterated the city of Galveston, Texas, on September 8, 1900. It is estimated that 8,000 to 12,000 people lost their lives in this storm, which lashed the city with winds of up to 143 miles per hour and a storm surge of 8 to 15 feet. More than 3,600 homes were destroyed, leaving 10,000 people homeless, and the hurricane caused an estimated $30 million in damages (nearly $496 million in 2017 dollars). 

The most intense hurricane ever to hit the United States hit the Florida Keys on September 2, 1935. Registering the lowest-ever sea level pressure of 892 millibars at landfall, this was the first known Category 5 hurricane to strike the mainland United States. The Labor Day hurricane tied with Hurricane Dorian for maximum sustained winds, estimated at 185 miles per hour, and the storm surge reached 20 feet. The hurricane caused catastrophic damage in the Florida Keys, destroying nearly all structures between Tavernier and Marathon; the town of Islamorada was obliterated. Portions of the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railway were severely damaged or destroyed. The hurricane also caused damage in northwest Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas.

The highest recorded wind speed at landfall worldwide was reached by Hurricane Camille, which had winds estimated at 190 miles per hour when it hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on August 17, 1969; actual maximum sustained winds will never be known because the hurricane destroyed the wind-recording instruments.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/the-worst-storms-on-record-ever-to-have-hit-the-united-states-53038

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/

11 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Hurricane Sandy....can't believe that was 10 years ago....Hurricane force winds well inland....never seen that b4 in our area.....another once in a lifetime tropical storm last year...had like 10 inches of rain in 3 hours. A warmer atmosphere supports more moisture.  Worst flooding I have ever seen in my lifetime. 2 of the worst storms we've ever had occurred in the last 10 years......both considered once in a lifetime events. Guess Im living several lifetimes:lol:

In the Twin Cities, I can count a dozen or more of these "Never in my lifetime" rain events going back to 1987, when a rain storm literally blew me off a golf course, and continued to drop 11" flooding major roads in Bloomington, MN.  In fact we just had one on in central MN where 13" was dumped in 3.5 hours just last week!!  OMG!!  

Spring flooding in Northern MN/Southern Ontario this year was incredible!  Worst since - wait for it - 1950!  So your telling me its happened before??  Yup... It has.

I guess that's when real Global Warming started?  I'm not sure of the start date anymore.  Get's lost on me everytime a "worst flooding I have ever seen in my lifetime" event occurs.

You know what is different in almost ALL of these?  MORE PEOPLE LIVE WHERE THEY DIDN'T BEFORE.  Otherwise, no one would care.  Not to mention, our "lifetimes" are a blip in the history of this planet.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Once in a lifetime....:lmao:  Sandy had the luck of hitting with a nor'easter and high tide.   Neither of which are climate change.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_hurricanes

• August 11, 1976: Hurricane Belle makes landfall on Long Island as a Category 1 hurricane on the Saffir–Simpson hurricane scale, producing up to 6 inches (150 mm) of rain.[46] 30,000 people are evacuated in New York in anticipation of Belle. Wind gusts of up to 70 mph and tides of 7.2 feet (2.3 m) above normal are reported in New York City and Long Island. Moderate river flooding occurs, as well as minor crop damage. In all, one person is killed by a falling tree, and damage is reported at $257 million (1976 USD, $980 million 2007 USD).[47]
  • September 27, 1985: Hurricane Gloria makes landfall on Long Island as a Category 2 hurricane. Wind gusts of up to 100 mph (160 km/h) and 3.4 inches (86 mm) of rain [55] contribute to $300 million (1985 USD, $591 million 2007 USD) in damage, and one fatality.[56] In addition, 48 homes on Long Island were destroyed, and hundreds more were damaged.[56]
  • August 27–28, 2011: Hurricane Irene makes landfall on Coney Island as a tropical storm with winds of 65 miles (105 km) per hour. Storm surge reached underneath the boardwalks in both Coney Island and Long Beach. and the Hudson River also flooded. Top recorded winds reached 70 mph at the height of the storm and left 400,000 without power. The storm also killed five people in the state and had a major impact on Upstate NY. The storm caused the National Weather Service in Albany, New York to issue a Tropical Storm Warning for the local forecast area. This had never been done before, and actually required a breach in protocol to achieve. Prior to this event, the Albany, New York forecast area was considered outside of the valid area for Tropical Storm warnings.

• October 28–29, 2012: Hurricane Sandy, a historic storm, makes landfall near Atlantic City, New Jersey with 80 mph winds. This storm was unusual because it was a late season hurricane combined with a Nor'easter at high tide during a full moon, producing long-lasting and devastating results not seen in generations. The largest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin, wind gusts topped 100 mph (160 km/h) in some parts of the New York metropolitan area. Sandy was not a hurricane when it hit the NY-CT region. Sandy caused a record 14.41 feet (4.39 m) storm surge at Battery Park, New York City, flooding various parts of Lower Manhattan including various tunnels and subway systems, making them inoperable for weeks. As of late 2019 some are still damaged and are in the process of being repaired, with projects like 14th Street Tunnel shutdown.[95] The immediate aftermath included widespread flooding, massive power outages and a system-wide disruption of mass transit service. Sandy had a significant effect on the digital world: the Federal Communications Commission estimated that the "hurricane...also disrupted cable TV, broadband Internet and landline phone service for 25 percent of customers in the affected areas."[96] Over nine million customers were without power, including 90 percent of Long Island and most of Manhattan below 49th Street, some for several months. Many low-lying neighborhoods in NJ and NY were completely destroyed. Thousands of homes and businesses were demolished by the record storm surge.

• Like 1

What was the name of the hurricane in 1995 that blew all the way inland so far from the gulf, that it delayed the running of the Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis?  I was there, it was pretty incredible the rains they had and how quickly the edge of the clouds cleared for the sun to pop out, and run the race right up to darkness.  

Dale Earnhardt won that day I tell you!

19 minutes ago, irv said:

Do you blindly and ignorantly just believe everything Yahoo news spews to you? :dunno:

Ever, once, did any fact checking? 

The deadliest hurricane in U.S. history was the 1900 Galveston Hurricane, a Category 4 storm that essentially obliterated the city of Galveston, Texas, on September 8, 1900. It is estimated that 8,000 to 12,000 people lost their lives in this storm, which lashed the city with winds of up to 143 miles per hour and a storm surge of 8 to 15 feet. More than 3,600 homes were destroyed, leaving 10,000 people homeless, and the hurricane caused an estimated $30 million in damages (nearly $496 million in 2017 dollars). 

The most intense hurricane ever to hit the United States hit the Florida Keys on September 2, 1935. Registering the lowest-ever sea level pressure of 892 millibars at landfall, this was the first known Category 5 hurricane to strike the mainland United States. The Labor Day hurricane tied with Hurricane Dorian for maximum sustained winds, estimated at 185 miles per hour, and the storm surge reached 20 feet. The hurricane caused catastrophic damage in the Florida Keys, destroying nearly all structures between Tavernier and Marathon; the town of Islamorada was obliterated. Portions of the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railway were severely damaged or destroyed. The hurricane also caused damage in northwest Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas.

The highest recorded wind speed at landfall worldwide was reached by Hurricane Camille, which had winds estimated at 190 miles per hour when it hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on August 17, 1969; actual maximum sustained winds will never be known because the hurricane destroyed the wind-recording instruments.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/the-worst-storms-on-record-ever-to-have-hit-the-united-states-53038

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/

Highmark asked about so called once in a lifetime events....those were my personal experiences....if you don't think weather has gotten more extreme, be it flooding or droughts, I can't help you. Tornadoes in our area are now MUCH more frequent than ever.

And seem to be even heading further north than they used too....perhaps even your region....yup nothin to see. Ok...I will just continue to laugh as predicted events unfold......you guys can keep your blinders on..... bet you look good in them:lol: ....you don't even think we are warming...good God....at least most will admit too that.

14 minutes ago, Snake said:

Follow the money...

"Once in a lifetime..." my God...

What money?... when did I ever say we should do something about it I'm kind of liking extreme events..yep both those storms were.said to be once in a lifetime. But I'm sure I will see more even worse in my lifetime......

10 hours ago, X2700 said:

42 degrees in Hayward wi this morning!!

seems a bit cool for this time of the year!!

Going down to 12 Celsius here tonight (53 F) and it is supposed to be a balmy, hotter than fuck, high of 22 tomorrow. (70 F) 

With all the glaciers and snow supposed to have been gone long ago, shouldn't we, since it is global, all be experiencing at least summer type weather by now? :dunno:

Up here, according to Trudeau and his band of "experts", we are warming up twice/three times as fast as the rest of the earth, and have been since 2019. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/canada-warming-at-twice-the-global-rate-leaked-report-finds-1.5079765

How many ice ages has the Earth had, and could humans live through one? – Mason C., age 8, Hobbs, New Mexico

First, what is an ice age? It’s when the Earth has cold temperatures for a long time – millions to tens of millions of years – that lead to ice sheets and glaciers covering large areas of its surface.

We know that the Earth has had at least five major ice ages. The first one happened about 2 billion years ago and lasted about 300 million years. The most recent one started about 2.6 million years ago, and in fact, we are still technically in it.

Read news coverage based on evidence, not tweets
Get newsletter

So why isn’t the Earth covered in ice right now? It’s because we are in a period known as an “interglacial.” In an ice age, temperatures will fluctuate between colder and warmer levels. Ice sheets and glaciers melt during warmer phases, which are called interglacials, and expand during colder phases, which are called glacials.

Right now we are in the most recent ice age’s warm interglacial period, which began about 11,000 years ago.

Earth’s climate goes through warming and cooling cycles that are influenced by gases in its atmosphere and variations in its orbit around the sun.

What was it like during the ice age?

When most people talk about the “ice age,” they are usually referring to the last glacial period, which began about 115,000 years ago and ended about 11,000 years ago with the start of the current interglacial period.

During that time, the planet was much cooler than it is now. At its peak, when ice sheets covered most of North America, the average global temperature was about 46 degrees Fahrenheit (8 degrees Celsius). That’s 11 degrees F (6 degrees C) cooler than the global annual average today.

That difference might not sound like a lot, but it resulted in most of North America and Eurasia being covered in ice sheets. Earth was also much drier, and sea level was much lower, since most of the Earth’s water was trapped in the ice sheets. Steppes, or dry grassy plains, were common. So were savannas, or warmer grassy plains, and deserts.

Many animals present during the ice age would be familiar to you, including brown bears, caribou and wolves. But there were also megafauna that went extinct at the end of the ice age, like mammoths, mastodons, saber-toothed cats and giant ground sloths.

There are different ideas about why these animals went extinct. One is that humans hunted them into extinction when they came in contact with the megafauna.

Scientist and workers gather around a jawbone and horns protruding out of the ground.

Excavating a mastodon skeleton at Burning Tree Golf Course in Heath, Ohio, December 1989. The skeleton, found by workers who were digging a pond, was 90% to 95% complete and more than 11,000 years old. James St. John/Flickr, CC BY

Wait, there were humans during the ice age?!

Yes, people just like us lived through the ice age. Since our species, Homo sapiens, emerged about 300,000 years ago in Africa, we have spread around the world.

During the ice age, some populations remained in Africa and did not experience the full effects of the cold. Others moved into other parts of the world, including the cold, glacial environments of Europe.

And they weren’t alone. At the beginning of the ice age, there were other species of hominins – a group that includes our immediate ancestors and our closest relatives – throughout Eurasia, like the Neanderthals in Europe and the mysterious Denisovans in Asia. Both of these groups seem to have gone extinct before the end of the ice age.

There are lots of ideas about how our species survived the ice age when our hominin cousins did not. Some think that it has to do with how adaptable we are, and how we used our social and communication skills and tools. And it appears that humans didn’t hunker down during the ice age. Instead they moved into new areas.

For a long time it was thought that humans did not enter North America until after the ice sheets started to melt. But fossilized footprints found at White Sands National Park in New Mexico show that humans have been in North America since at least 23,000 years ago – close to the peak of the last ice age.

• Like 1

That's too scientific, Don. People need to hear from the likes of Al Gore, Bill Nye, David Suzuki, AOC, Obama and of course Greta to believe anything about the climate nowadays. :news:

climatee8.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, irv said:

That's too scientific, Don. People need to hear from the likes of Al Gore, Bill Nye, David Suzuki, AOC, Obama and of course Greta to believe anything about the climate nowadays. :news:

climatee8.jpg

Funny thing is ....I don't listen to any of those people...they are complete idiots. I  beleive in Temp stats, Noaa to a certain extent and extreme events happening right before my eyes more frequently than ever in my lifetime. Whether it is droughts and resulting wild fires, or severe floods with record amounts of precip.......and especially record high Temps eclipsing record cold temps by about 2 to 1. Just no denying we are warming and nothing will change my mind......we have come full circle and can only debate the cause. Manmade or just cyclical. Really doesn't matter to me.

17 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Highmark asked about so called once in a lifetime events....those were my personal experiences....if you don't think weather has gotten more extreme, be it flooding or droughts, I can't help you. Tornadoes in our area are now MUCH more frequent than ever.

And seem to be even heading further north than they used too....perhaps even your region....yup nothin to see. Ok...I will just continue to laugh as predicted events unfold......you guys can keep your blinders on..... bet you look good in them:lol: ....you don't even think we are warming...good God....at least most will admit too that.

Like I said, the world/ environment has been changing for it's whole existence.

Are you totally retarded?

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

Like I said, the world/ environment has been changing for it's whole existence.

Are you totally retarded?

Ok, I can agree with that to some degree.

No...Doc says only partially retarded

On 6/27/2022 at 9:24 AM, f7ben said:

Poor Viper , just getting the boots put to him in every thread. What a fucking retard.

I swear, you're like one of those Deer flies that Im swatting at while walking down a trail on a hot summers day....just a relentless bastard........

On a sidenote....getting ready to head out for a 2 hour ride and pickup a bunch of overloaded fireworks for the 4th...basically classB stuff...I think that is one hobby and topic you and I can agree on:bc:....sucks the 4th is on Monday this year, gonna be a very small turnout. I think you mentioned you even had to work.

13 hours ago, irv said:

climatee8.jpg

Reuters.

Well, this is about as centered a source as it gets Irv. Backs up pretty much all my beleifs... Too still be a denier today that we are even warming is just stubbornness and/or ignorance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-change-driving-2022-extreme-070455333.html

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1

All of these so called once in a 100 year bla bla bla is just that.

Since about 1990 we have had global weather tracking and instant info on world weather. From that we get to see every extreme weather event get over publicized and labeled as "once in a lifetime event" with the obligatory claim of " climate change" as the prime driver.

Only problem is we take a real "once in a lifetime" event from a particular area and then for some reason bundle it up with an extreme weather event in an other area and claim they are related in some way or another to "climate change" when in reality it is just the weather. We just have not had this instant info in the past to incorrectly claim it is unprecedented when infact this happens all the time as we see it reported on (incorrectly) everyday.  

Extreme weather when actively looked for and then reported on exclusively as proof of something is the biggest bait and switch charade I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roosting said:

All of these so called once in a 100 year bla bla bla is just that.

Since about 1990 we have had global weather tracking and instant info on world weather. From that we get to see every extreme weather event get over publicized and labeled as "once in a lifetime event" with the obligatory claim of " climate change" as the prime driver.

Only problem is we take a real "once in a lifetime" event from a particular area and then for some reason bundle it up with an extreme weather event in an other area and claim they are related in some way or another to "climate change" when in reality it is just the weather. We just have not had this instant info in the past to incorrectly claim it is unprecedented when in fact this happens all the time as we see it reported on (incorrectly) everyday.  

Extreme weather when actively looked for and then reported on exclusively as proof of something is the biggest bait and switch charade I've ever seen. 

It's crazy how they are trying so hard to recondition and brainwash us into believing the weather is actually climate change. 

Just watch the weather networks over reaction to heavy rainfall or a bit of snow. Everything has now become a "WEATHER WARNING"!!!!!!. Take cover, stay off the roads, flood advice, it goes on and on and on. 

climityy.jpeg

7 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I swear, you're like one of those Deer flies that Im swatting at while walking down a trail on a hot summers day....just a relentless bastard........

On a sidenote....getting ready to head out for a 2 hour ride and pickup a bunch of overloaded fireworks for the 4th...basically classB stuff...I think that is one hobby and topic you and I can agree on:bc:....sucks the 4th is on Monday this year, gonna be a very small turnout. I think you mentioned you even had to work.

Reuters.

Well, this is about as centered a source as it gets Irv. Backs up pretty much all my beleifs... Too still be a denier today that we are even warming is just stubbornness and/or ignorance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-change-driving-2022-extreme-070455333.html

Did you even read your own article? :dunno: Did you notice the words at all like, "likely" "we think"  "probable" "could"?

Sure sounds like they have a handle on things, especially when they bring out the tried and true "Computer Modelling"  that so many sheep seem to get easily hooked by. 

For their review paper, scientists drew upon hundreds of "attribution" studies, or research that aims to calculate how climate change affected an extreme event using computer simulations and weather observations.

With heatwaves, it's highly probable that climate change is making things worse.

Fire raged across the U.S. state of New Mexico in April, after a controlled burn set under "much drier conditions than recognized" got out of control, according to the U.S. Forest Service. The fires burned 341,000 acres.

On a global scale, the frequency of storms hasn't increased.

You should also read the comments. William gets it, when are you? 

William
8 hours ago
A one degree increase in peak temperatures does not seem like the end of the world. Also it’s interesting that they blame both droughts and excessive rain on global warming so that they’re always correct.

15 hours ago, irv said:

Did you even read your own article? :dunno: Did you notice the words at all like, "likely" "we think"  "probable" "could"?

Sure sounds like they have a handle on things, especially when they bring out the tried and true "Computer Modelling"  that so many sheep seem to get easily hooked by. 

For their review paper, scientists drew upon hundreds of "attribution" studies, or research that aims to calculate how climate change affected an extreme event using computer simulations and weather observations.

With heatwaves, it's highly probable that climate change is making things worse.

Fire raged across the U.S. state of New Mexico in April, after a controlled burn set under "much drier conditions than recognized" got out of control, according to the U.S. Forest Service. The fires burned 341,000 acres.

On a global scale, the frequency of storms hasn't increased.

You should also read the comments. William gets it, when are you? 

William
8 hours ago

A one degree increase in peak temperatures does not seem like the end of the world. Also it’s interesting that they blame both droughts and excessive rain on global warming so that they’re always correct.

So you do admit we are warming....however so slight.

sarcastic-thumbs-up-gif-12.gif

Japan now experiencing worst heat wave since records began...Like I said, these events are occurring more and more frequently. Ah, to be a blissful denier....tsk,tsk. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-swelters-worst-heatwave-since-063058656.html