How do you raise cool kids?

26 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Yup.  Life is better in person than streaming it. 

We used to go to Lot of live music venues. I've seen some amazing shows at small venues. The problem now is ticket prices have been hijacked by brokers. I've seen AC/DC probably half a dozen times. A bunch of us were gonna see their farewell tour at Wrigley field but I couldn't get tickets for under $1000. It just takes the enthusiasm out of it. 

11 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

My oldest son roughed in the plumbing in our new bathroom today. Beat that. Lol

Mine will be over later in July to install my heat pump hot water heater... already ripped out the dual 275 gal oil tanks and installed 1 new one. Like yours, he will be doing the remodel on the new master bath when the time comes. Great kid...

16 minutes ago, Anler said:

We used to go to Lot of live music venues. I've seen some amazing shows at small venues. The problem now is ticket prices have been hijacked by brokers. I've seen AC/DC probably half a dozen times. A bunch of us were gonna see their farewell tour at Wrigley field but I couldn't get tickets for under $1000. It just takes the enthusiasm out of it. 

I have seen them more than that, but never with Bon...

Since the first time my grand daughter came to my house, I give her a dose of AC/DC from YouTube. Can't leave the house without 2 videos minimum. Realize and Shot in the Dark are her 2 favorites... can literally get her to go to sleep when she is spleeny by turning on the music...

Next up... Rush!

17 minutes ago, Anler said:

I agree.  We were going to see 80’s bands for awhile because you could get tickets for 20 bucks. Im not paying $200 a piece to stand on the lawn to watch Poison, motley crue, or def leopard. 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I agree.  We were going to see 80’s bands for awhile because you could get tickets for 20 bucks. Im not paying $200 a piece to stand on the lawn to watch Poison, motley crue, or def leopard. 

Don’t blame you especially to listen to Vince Neil.🤣

Venetian Festival is coming up at the end of July and they usually  bring in some decent bands and they are free shows. This year the headliner is .38 Special but only one original member is left…still be a fun show. A few years back they had Loverboy which was good.👍🏼
I also think the Prince cover band is back this year.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Once in a while some 80's bands will play local festivals. We saw Frampton back in early 2000's at our town festival. Was probably 20,000 people. He killed too. Was a great show. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

Mine will be over later in July to install my heat pump hot water heater... already ripped out the dual 275 gal oil tanks and installed 1 new one. Like yours, he will be doing the remodel on the new master bath when the time comes. Great kid...

Since the first time my grand daughter came to my house, I give her a dose of AC/DC from YouTube. Can't leave the house without 2 videos minimum. Realize and Shot in the Dark are her 2 favorites... can literally get her to go to sleep when she is spleeny by turning on the music...

Next up... Rush!

Rush used to play at our High School. A riot broke out one night when kids that had bought tickets found out they were phoney and they flipped over a cop car. The school used to get alot of different bands playing there

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

Next up... Rush!

Yeah I wasn't old enough to see bon, he died in what 1980? They always put on a great show. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yeah I wasn't old enough to see bon, he died in what 1980? They always put on a great show. 

My first show was the Back in Black tour... missed it by that much.

Just now, Snake said:

My first show was the Back in Black tour... missed it by that much.

I had all of their albums (bon Scott years). My dad hated it lol. I can hear him now "turn that shit off!" LOL

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Anler said:

I was in the 8th Grade I believe when Back In Black was released…would have loved to have seen Bon.

2 rules that we went by raising our 31 and 33 yr old sons. One was that we weren't buddies and that we were parents. That's a tough one as there are so many parents that hurt and get hurt because they make unpopular decisions that buddies don't make. Second was that their welfare and health were paramount. Never hesitate to call when they felt that they were in a bad situation. More than once I got out of bed to go get them. We'd talk about it and learn. They also learned a good work ethic at a young age. Picked up trade skills that showed how to be pretty self sufficient. 

• Like 2

Bunch of my high schools friends were at grateful dead this weekend at Wrigley. I was never a dead fan but went to some of their shows back in the day. I could never get in to that hippie culture. 

1 minute ago, J. Jackson said:

2 rules that we went by raising our 31 and 33 yr old sons. One was that we weren't buddies and that we were parents. That's a tough one as there are so many parents that hurt and get hurt because they make unpopular decisions that buddies don't make. Second was that their welfare and health were paramount. Never hesitate to call when they felt that they were in a bad situation. More than once I got out of bed to go get them. We'd talk about it and learn. They also learned a good work ethic at a young age. Picked up trade skills that showed how to be pretty self sufficient. 

My kids are pretty good kids, I mean they are dumb as fuck but they don't really do anything bad. Nothing compared to what we did. I had the talk about drugs and trouble when they turned teen. It's one thing to be strict but you have to be honest and not naive, these are things they are exposed to whether we like it or not. I want them to trust me so if they are in trouble they will come to me. I explained the rules, this is the box. You stay in the box I'm not going to stick my nose in your business, you step outside the box and I am in your business and you aren't going to like it. So far we are pretty good. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

My kids are pretty good kids, I mean they are dumb as fuck but they don't really do anything bad. Nothing compared to what we did. I had the talk about drugs and trouble when they turned teen. It's one thing to be strict but you have to be honest and not naive, these are things they are exposed to whether we like it or not. I want them to trust me so if they are in trouble they will come to me. I explained the rules, this is the box. You stay in the box I'm not going to stick my nose in your business, you step outside the box and I am in your business and you aren't going to like it. So far we are pretty good. 

Communicating is everything. My oldest lives 200 miles from us and he calls me everyday and my youngest works with me. 

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

Good post.  
My kids are pretty good.  My daughter was born a 40 year old conservative. She was always a rule follower, sports, honor roll.  son was the exact opposite.  He gave us a tough way to go as a teenager, but he turned out alright.  

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I've been to a lot and I mean a lot of concerts over the years, seen them all except the Beatles and Hendrix.  Your right about the ticket prices mostly brought on by a shortage of tickets.  Pick any venue and then subtract tickets for promo's (radio, etc), season ticket holders, fan club, the band and set up members and the list goes on, it doesn't leave a lot of tickets left for the public.  My nephew usually had season tickets for Pine Knob (not now) but we went to see Kid Rock played there for 4 days, we went to each show.  Getting back to Ac/Dc, I remember seeing them I think in 77 (not sure), but it was at the Capital Theater in Flint, MI.  My dad use to work at the IMA Auditorium in Flint.  I use go to all the events (concerts, car show, circus and etc) for free except any pay per view (fights) or banquets.  I still go with my son and daughter to see concerts (The Lacs, Colt Ford, Upchurch, Demun Jones, etc) one in a while when they are in the area.  I've always been a live music type of person, I'd really listen to a live version of a song then a studio if at all possible.

Edited by tnts4me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Good post.  
My kids are pretty good.  My daughter was born a 40 year old conservative. She was always a rule follower, sports, honor roll.  son was the exact opposite.  He gave us a tough way to go as a teenager, but he turned out alright.  

Mine are finding their way now. Oldest was also far more mature than his age, a bit of an introvert because he just didn't have alot in common with kids his age. He found music at school and just fell in love with it. Now he is going to college on a scholarship so we are pretty proud of him.

My youngest was more the social butterfly. He was the sweetest little boy but now he is a 6'4" body building narcissist. Total jagoff. At least once a week I want to punch him in the face. What are ya gonna do? LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Bingo. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Mine are finding their way now. Oldest was also far more mature than his age, a bit of an introvert because he just didn't have alot in common with kids his age. He found music at school and just fell in love with it. Now he is going to college on a scholarship so we are pretty proud of him.

My youngest was more the social butterfly. He was the sweetest little boy but now he is a 6'4" body building narcissist. Total jagoff. At least once a week I want to punch him in the face. What are ya gonna do? LOL

:lol:

what I tell my friends with teenagers. They will come around. You got to get them out of your house though. So they can experience the real world. They will have a hell of lot more respect for you. 

my som and I were always at odds when he was younger. I felt like we never connected like with my daughter. We rode sleds, 4wheelers, cars, built stuff in the garage. Son wanted nothing to do with it.  He moved out when he was seventeen and 24 now. We couldn’t be closer now that he is an adult. 

8 minutes ago, Cold War said:

:lol:

what I tell my friends with teenagers. They will come around. You got to get them out of your house though. So they can experience the real world. They will have a hell of lot more respect for you. 

my som and I were always at odds when he was younger. I felt like we never connected like with my daughter. We rode sleds, 4wheelers, cars, built stuff in the garage. Son wanted nothing to do with it.  He moved out when he was seventeen and 24 now. We couldn’t be closer now that he is an adult. 

Oh yeah, he has a very distorted view of the world. I always tell him he should move out and show us how it's done. I guess life here isn't all that terrible LOL