Car performance from the 80's

It just took time for engineers to figure out where unburnt hydrocarbons we’re hiding in the combustion chambers 

the greenies absolutely Killed performance for a while but then once GM came out with the LS it was better than it ever was, and great economy to boot 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

It just took time for engineers to figure out where unburnt hydrocarbons we’re hiding in the combustion chambers 

the greenies absolutely Killed performance for a while but then once GM came out with the LS it was better than it ever was, and great economy to boot 

cars were still kind of shitty when the motors started getting better.  trucks and SUV's were far better than cars in the late 90's early 00's.   

In 20 years, everyone will look back and realize how misguided the push to EV's was, and how premature the killing of gasoline-power was.

There's a song by Rush called Red Barchetta, and it's about how engines are banned and some old guy managed to hide a red sports car from the government "eyes".  The guy's nephew pulls the cover off and takes it for a ride, only to be discovered by the authorities and narrowly avoids getting caught.

I heard that song the other day, remembering how wildly fantastic and unrealistic the song was when I was younger, and how true it will become in the near future - especially in Canada (where the song was written).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

In 20 years, everyone will look back and realize how misguided the push to EV's was, and how premature the killing of gasoline-power was.

There's a song by Rush called Red Barchetta, and it's about how engines are banned and some old guy managed to hide a red sports car from the government "eyes".  The guy's nephew pulls the cover off and takes it for a ride, only to be discovered by the authorities and narrowly avoids getting caught.

I heard that song the other day, remembering how wildly fantastic and unrealistic the song was when I was younger, and how true it will become in the near future - especially in Canada (where the song was written).

I think you’ll be proven wrong. Electric motors will make ice engines look like dinosaurs in comparison. 100% efficient and far more powerful size for  size 

95-98% efficient anyways 

Edited by f7ben

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think you’ll be proven wrong. Electric motors will make ice engines look like dinosaurs in comparison. 100% efficient and far more powerful size for  size 

95-98% efficient anyways 

There are a shit ton of benefits to EV's. The other stuff that isn't so great will get worked out eventually. But the not having 50,000 parts will be huge and the loss of need for alot of maintenance also. I am really looking forward to when it can have my commercial vehicles be EVs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

My favorite song!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I’m poor ....I can look at the pics though 

Those can be had reasonably. They are actually pretty awesome cars after you fix a couple design flaw that can make expensive fixes. Funnest car i ever owned but i'd be dead or in jail if I kept it much longer. Too easy to roll 150 mph on every straight.

31 minutes ago, f7ben said:

95-98% efficient anyways 

In the present, people conveniently ignore the  environmental impact of mining and manufacturing, not to mention what happens to solar cells, batteries and wind turbines after their short lives.  The world will be more toxic than ever in 20 years, not less. 

We look back now 20 years and realize how stupid it was to try to phase out nuclear, and how the media blew the risks way out of proportion.  Nuclear is now the ONLY way to meet our energy needs, and it will take a decade or two to get back what we've lost by focusing on renewables.  EV's are still a cottage industry, thanks in part to Gretta's grid, which can't even handle electrical demands now, and is downright pathetic for demands of the future.

I think the odds of a worldwide consumption of petroleum in 2040 being at least equal to present is better than 50%.  

15 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Yes I do . The engineers fully understand that the American grid is decades away from having the ability to charge all replaced gas cars . 

Most neighborhoods in America can't Handel a charger in every garage hell most older blocks  can't Handel 10

I thought our neighborhood was doing well, power-wise, until recently.  We had a weird dimming-lights problem that acted like a circuit overloading, but happened to all lights on all circuits at the same exact time.  We called the power company, who shocked me by responding almost instantly without giving me any crap about how it couldn't possibly be their equipment.  Turns out, our neighborhood was right on the verge of shutting down because it was overloaded - and we don't have a single EV.  They installed some new equipment to buy us time, but said there's no way our area can handle EV's in the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

95-98% efficient anyways 

Except you need to include the power creation, transmission and storage in the efficiencies.  That is the sad thing is that all the subsidies force a direction without a holistic view.  As for the EV being the way of the future for propulsion it definitely will be.  The power source for them however will not be the standard battery they use right now.

2 hours ago, p51mstg said:

In the present, people conveniently ignore the  environmental impact of mining and manufacturing, not to mention what happens to solar cells, batteries and wind turbines after their short lives.  The world will be more toxic than ever in 20 years, not less. 

We look back now 20 years and realize how stupid it was to try to phase out nuclear, and how the media blew the risks way out of proportion.  Nuclear is now the ONLY way to meet our energy needs, and it will take a decade or two to get back what we've lost by focusing on renewables.  EV's are still a cottage industry, thanks in part to Gretta's grid, which can't even handle electrical demands now, and is downright pathetic for demands of the future.

I think the odds of a worldwide consumption of petroleum in 2040 being at least equal to present is better than 50%.  

Vt Yankee was shut down a number of years ago and power costs have steadily risen here since. 600 good paying jobs lost from what was an older but safe plant. The greenies caused this to happen and now of course it's all about renewables.  Pitiful really.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

how are they going to support the electric draw every night when everyone plugs in to recharge when every car on the road is a ev?

how about winter enviroments?you know what minus 40 does to batteries?

serious questions, not a troll or gotcha'/ how the fuck will they support it? 

Edited by ZR800efi

24 minutes ago, ZR800efi said:

how are they going to support the electric draw every night when everyone plugs in to recharge when every car on the road is a ev?

how about winter enviroments?you know what minus 40 does to batteries?

serious questions, not a troll or gotcha'/ how the fuck will they support it? 

How?

let the market decide 

but oh yeah we live in a clown world 

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, ACE said:

How?

let the market decide 

but oh yeah we live in a clown world 

im serious though.wheres all this extra electricity going to come from ?

2 minutes ago, ZR800efi said:

im serious though.wheres all this extra electricity going to come from ?

If the range issue ever gets sorted out or a hybrid with 100 mile electric range, I'll put solar panels on the roof.

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

cars were still kind of shitty when the motors started getting better.  trucks and SUV's were far better than cars in the late 90's early 00's.   

honda cars were stupid bulletproof. not uncommon to see half million miles on them , living half there life bouncing off the rev limiter.

dont know if these direct injected forced inducted motors they make today will last as long.

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Great tune by Rush....one of my favs. Didn't really know the lyrics til now..thnx:bc:

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 12:17 PM, s pump said:

Try a W12 you want a bad ass motor....

20170725_175633.jpg

Bentley Continental GT...  wild ride.

More fun than most EV's + longer range.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:18 PM, ZR800efi said:

honda cars were stupid bulletproof. not uncommon to see half million miles on them , living half there life bouncing off the rev limiter.

dont know if these direct injected forced inducted motors they make today will last as long.

i was referring specifically to amerian cars.   European cars and japanese cars of the 80's and early 90's were 10000000x better than american ones.  all were underpowered compared to today but at least they kept rolling.  

• Like 2