Car performance from the 80's

Just now, awful knawful said:

a new VW Golf is made by generating 6.8 tonnes of CO2e. Even worse, a Polestar 2 (a Swedish electric car) generates 26 tonnes of CO2 during the manufacturing process.

Shhhh, we aren't supposed to know this!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

No, some manufacturer's have already said they are done innovating new engines.

BMW is working on a new series of motors that produce virtually no CO2. 4,6, and 8 cylinders. 

18 minutes ago, Doorider said:

Sorry, last ICE only M series car

Nope. BMW plans to build vehicles with their new ICE to at least 2030. Updated cylinder heads and heated catalyst. They will be delivered in hybrid form. That's understandable because a pure ICE vehicle doesn't have a chance against the new hybrids. All the supercars from McLaren, Ferrari, etc are hybrids. 

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Nope. BMW plans to build vehicles with their new ICE to at least 2030. Updated cylinder heads and heated catalyst. They will be delivered in hybrid form. That's understandable because a pure ICE vehicle doesn't have a chance against the new hybrids. All the supercars from McLaren, Ferrari, etc are hybrids. 

I kinda just want another v10 

11 hours ago, racer254 said:

With the government pushing EV, do you think car companies are putting the same about of $$$ into the innovation of gasoline engines vs electric? 

I visited with a Porsche engineer a couple years ago, he said they've stopped all development on consumer internal combustion engines. 

12 hours ago, racer254 said:

Does everyone remember what the liberal greenies from the 70's did to the performance of vehicles in the 80's.  Do you think we are going back to that type of stagnate vehicle performance again?

That whole era of restrictions caused the performance and efficiency of the gasoline engine to stagnate for 20 plus years.  Took engineers and car companies many years to get back to making awesome, efficient performance engines like we have today.  Does any one see history repeating itself with the war on fossil fuels now?

My cousin had a brand new Firebird 400 in 68, and as a 11 year old kid it was an amazing car.  I was finally able to afford a new 79 Trans Am 6.6, which I guess at the time was an impressive car.  Honestly though, it was a slow, rattling, squeaking piece of shit.  I have no nostalgia for most of the older stuff, only because the newer stuff is so ch better.  Had an 05 GTO which was a weird Australian deal but awesome car.  My 750 BMW would smoke most any muscle car made, and do so in comfort for 4 passengers.

8 hours ago, f7ben said:

A production Tesla already absolutely the fastest car ever made. Imagine what it will be like when electric is fully adopted and exploited. The level of performance attainable will blow ice engines so far out of t water it will be like horse and buggy vs f-16 fighter 

No argument here.  I want to want an EV, just not there yet.

22 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My cousin had a brand new Firebird 400 in 68, and as a 11 year old kid it was an amazing car.  I was finally able to afford a new 79 Trans Am 6.6, which I guess at the time was an impressive car.  Honestly though, it was a slow, rattling, squeaking piece of shit.  I have no nostalgia for most of the older stuff, only because the newer stuff is so ch better.  Had an 05 GTO which was a weird Australian deal but awesome car.  My 750 BMW would smoke most any muscle car made, and do so in comfort for 4 passengers.

No argument here.  I want to want an EV, just not there yet.

I’m not either but I respect the performance....totally bad ass

The early 80's had some exciting cars if you looked....

We had a new 1983 BMW 320i,  when I was starting out.....  that little car was faster than a Corvette on the highway.

European manufacturers built hi quality and fast cars.... pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Times haven't changed.... Audi's etron GT RS is wild...

Battery technology and manufacturing is the weak link.  Perfect that and you have a winner

14 hours ago, racer254 said:

With the government pushing EV, do you think car companies are putting the same about of $$$ into the innovation of gasoline engines vs electric? 

Yes I do . The engineers fully understand that the American grid is decades away from having the ability to charge all replaced gas cars . 

Most neighborhoods in America can't Handel a charger in every garage hell most older blocks  can't Handel 10

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Screenshot_20220624-081250_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220624-081240_Chrome.jpg

• Gold Member
16 hours ago, awful knawful said:

I read somewhere you'd have to drive a new Corolla 7 years to equal the emissions of an electric car being manufactured.

Not really.  Why are you comparing a polestar to a Corolla.  Corolla needs to be compared to a bolt if you want to be honest

https://www.thedrive.com/news/electric-pickup-trucks-are-dirtier-than-you-think

18 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

For gm products yes 👍 

even for some fords where the coyote doesnt fit well unless its a true classic.   average 60's mustang its better than any 302 based motor.   Fox body i'd prefer a coyote in it although would not object to an LS.  

12 hours ago, ICG said:

The early 80's had some exciting cars if you looked....

We had a new 1983 BMW 320i,  when I was starting out.....  that little car was faster than a Corvette on the highway.

European manufacturers built hi quality and fast cars.... pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Times haven't changed.... Audi's etron GT RS is wild...

Battery technology and manufacturing is the weak link.  Perfect that and you have a winner

European and japanese cars were far better than domestic in the 80's.

At 16 I worked as a porter at a dealership and drove all of the new and coolest stuff, vettes, trans ams, gran nationals, mustangs, etc... At the time I thought they were awesome but looking back those things were major pieces of shit.