Car performance from the 80's

Does everyone remember what the liberal greenies from the 70's did to the performance of vehicles in the 80's.  Do you think we are going back to that type of stagnate vehicle performance again?

That whole era of restrictions caused the performance and efficiency of the gasoline engine to stagnate for 20 plus years.  Took engineers and car companies many years to get back to making awesome, efficient performance engines like we have today.  Does any one see history repeating itself with the war on fossil fuels now?

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Does everyone remember what the liberal greenies from the 70's did to the performance of vehicles in the 80's.  Do you think we are going back to that type of stagnate vehicle performance again?

That whole era of restrictions caused the performance and efficiency of the gasoline engine to stagnate for 20 plus years.  Took engineers and car companies many years to get back to making awesome, efficient performance engines like we have today.  Does any one see history repeating itself with the war on fossil fuels now?

Have you ever heard of Tesla? 

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Oh no, please tell the world.  WTF does electric motor cars have to do with gasoline engines which was noted in the OP.

You said green innovations were gonna destroy performance. Even the most mundane Tesla absolutely obliterates 99% of current gas vehicles performance wise. 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You said green innovations were gonna destroy performance. Even the most mundane Tesla absolutely obliterates 99% of current gas vehicles performance wise. 

That you pay right through the nose for.....

Immaterial to the original OP, I know.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I said they will stagnate performance and innovation of gasoline engines.  Just like what happened after the restrictions in the 70's

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

That you pay right through the nose for.....

Immaterial to the original OP, I know.

Well performance gas cars are expensive as fuck too 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I said they will stagnate performance and innovation of gasoline engines.  Just like what happened after the restrictions in the 70's

Idk , doubtful but maybe. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Idk , doubtful but maybe. 

With the government pushing EV, do you think car companies are putting the same about of $$$ into the innovation of gasoline engines vs electric? 

340xi tuned running an extra 4psi of boost.  Cruise set at 78 on flat ground, eco mode. 43 mpg and averaged 34 for the whole drive. Fuel efficiency doesn't have to mean slow and boring

Screenshot_20220615-100102_Message+.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, racer254 said:

With the government pushing EV, do you think car companies are putting the same about of $$$ into the innovation of gasoline engines vs electric? 

Have you not seen the new Corvette?

Chrysler is pushing hp like never before.

Mustangs are crazy fast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Have you not seen the new Corvette?

Chrysler is pushing hp like never before.

Mustangs are crazy fast.

Oh for sure.  They are fucking awesome right now.  Just think what they will have 20 years from now.  Just thinking this push to EV will slow that innovation.

Just now, racer254 said:

Oh for sure.  They are fucking awesome right now.  Just think what they will have 20 years from now.  Just thinking this push to EV will slow that innovation.

As it should. EVs will only get better and better. Why would you continue to make something if something else is better. If you think about it for a second, the majority of problems on a IC vehicle are related to pollution control.

The mid 70's to early 80's were absolutely horrible for performance enthusiasts, I remember it well.

I remember my buddy got a mid 80's Mustang GT and holy crap that thing could actually smoke tires again....that was the beginning of the good times even though it was only pushing maybe 200hp.

That's when I went out and bought the first year 85 Iroc...that car was the shit for back then..lol.

Unfortunately, I think the innovation for the IC is on the way out and EV's will take over.....gonna keep what I got for a very long time.

So  no, I don't see history repeating itself...the final chapter for IC is in progress now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

I think my daily driver pick up has twice the HP as a 'muscle car' from that era

It probably corners better too.

:lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

The mid 70's to early 80's were absolutely horrible for performance enthusiasts, I remember it well.

I remember my buddy got a mid 80's Mustang GT and holy crap that thing could actually smoke tires again....that was the beginning of the good times even though it was only pushing maybe 200hp.

That's when I went out and bought the first year 85 Iroc...that car was the shit for back then..lol.

Unfortunately, I think the innovation for the IC is on the way out and EV's will take over.....gonna keep what I got for a very long time.

So  no, I don't see history repeating itself...the final chapter for IC is in progress now.

Pollution control. 

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Pollution control. 

Of course...they were dark days

Just now, spin_dry said:

Bring back leaded gas!!!!  :lol: 

Lol...yup I remember.

I had a built 68 Camaro and the motor needed the lead for the valves supposedly... I had to add an additive for a while every time I filled up once they did away with leaded.:lol: