Teachers and guns

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s no perfect defense, but metal detectors and a cop at every school. It’s as good as it gets. Teachers with guns is a ineffectual idea. 

I also like a single entrance, my kids district all schools have a single double door entrance/exit

45 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well that’s pretty simple to rectify. Would take all of a week and 100k to reinforce the glass to the point of slowing someone down significantly. 

Well, we are being told that would imprison the students...

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Well, we are being told that would imprison the students...

We are being fed a line of shit because nobody gives a fuck about kids. This is about banning guns 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I literally live next door to a teacher/administrator and I would literally purchase the weapon for him.

No one is asking for a platoon of teachers with ARs locked up in the office. 1 or 2 that can react in under 2 or 3 minutes of a situation, when the cops are minutes away, can make all the difference.

Treat it like the air marshal program after 9/11. 

What about some type of laser that would blind an assailant, as plan B to guns?  More folks could be trained on those and likely less resistance. 

47 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s no perfect defense, but metal detectors and a cop at every school. It’s as good as it gets. Teachers with guns is a ineffectual idea. 

Have you seen most cops today?  Not for nothing, but their physical fitness, agility, athleticism, and I assume coordination makes me wonder how effective a single cop could be, regardless of union-approved training.  No wonder we've militarized a lot of local LEO, likely to overcompensate for the lack of individual abilities.

2 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

Have you seen most cops today?  Not for nothing, but their physical fitness, agility, athleticism, and I assume coordination makes me wonder how effective a single cop could be, regardless of union-approved training.  No wonder we've militarized a lot of local LEO, likely to overcompensate for the lack of individual abilities.

Huge point right there.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

No one is asking anyone who doesn't want to to do it.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, as a former firearms/military weapons instructor, I could take a 95 pound 18 year old girl, and make her a safe, accurate user of firearms from the 9MM up to a fucking .50 cal. Did it with 40ish aged trainees as well.

Firearms and training go hand in hand. Want to carry in school as a teacher? Be ready to accept more training than is required to get a drivers' permit.

I agree, it's just today it's more slim picking and yes there are still good teachers.

15 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

Have you seen the typical teacher? 

• USA Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Snake said:

No one is asking anyone who doesn't want to to do it.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, as a former firearms/military weapons instructor, I could take a 95 pound 18 year old girl, and make her a safe, accurate user of firearms from the 9MM up to a fucking .50 cal. Did it with 40ish aged trainees as well.

Firearms and training go hand in hand. Want to carry in school as a teacher? Be ready to accept more training than is required to get a drivers' permit.

I could accept armed teachers if it was only the ones capable of handling a weapon and understanding when and how to use it.  I would also expect frequent check ins to make sure these teachers are mentally hanging in there and not getting ready to off little Johnny cause he's an asshole kid all the time.  

Just now, $poorsledder$ said:

I could accept armed teachers if it was only the ones capable of handling a weapon and understanding when and how to use it.  I would also expect frequent check ins to make sure these teachers are mentally hanging in there and not getting ready to off little Johnny cause he's an asshole kid all the time.  

Strictly voluntary, with background and twice a year recertifications.

Mandatory range time to evaluate safety and handling protocols.

It can be done if the thought and the time is put in... and there in lies the rub.

• USA Contributing Member
Just now, Snake said:

Strictly voluntary, with background and twice a year recertifications.

Mandatory range time to evaluate safety and handling protocols.

It can be done if the thought and the time is put in... and there in lies the rub.

It's gonna be the one asshole teacher that screws it up and then you'll have 30 meaningless mainecat posts