Solar and Wind save the Texas electric grid from collapse

• Gold Member

Texas set a demand record.  Solar and Wind come through in a big way.

Hojun Choi of the Dallas Morning Newsrecapped the state of play on Thursday morning, writing that “renewable energy sources came through in a big way this week for Texas, when temperatures and electricity demand reached record levels.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/16/renewables-ride-to-the-rescue-as-texas-bakes-under-withering-heat/

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Texas set a demand record.  Solar and Wind come through in a big way.

Hojun Choi of the Dallas Morning Newsrecapped the state of play on Thursday morning, writing that “renewable energy sources came through in a big way this week for Texas, when temperatures and electricity demand reached record levels.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/16/renewables-ride-to-the-rescue-as-texas-bakes-under-withering-heat/

One big hail storm away from the garbage can.

Texas gets 20% of its power generation from wind turbines. That’s probably enough to power some states. They’ve combined those with lithium power stations to store the power. Pretty cool 

Edited by spin_dry

• Gold Member

New Mexico coop gets 100% of its sun up to sun down electricity from solar saving its customers 25% on their electric bills.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/17/nms-kit-carson-electric-cooperative-achieves-100-daytime-solar-power/

This put the coop’s solar power totals at 41 megawatts, with 15 megawatts of available battery storage in the service area.

The new array, along with a number of other projects, was put in by Guzman Energy. They’ve been the wholesale solar provider for the cooperative since 2016, and buying power from them allowed the cooperative to exit a contract with Tri-State Generation and Transmission. Once that process is complete, the cooperative will have a lot more latitude to move further toward full renewable energy in the future.

Moving to a local generation model allows more power to come from renewables without the transmission losses associated with moving solar power from other areas.

This move is expected to lower power bills in the service area by around 25%, so being clean has more advantages than just the environment.

55 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Texas gets 20% of its power generation from wind turbines. That’s probably enough to power some states. They’ve combined those with lithium power stations to store the power. Pretty cool 

Be a lot more reliable and productive if they build a nuke plant or natural gas generator plant.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

good for them 

In most of the world north of the equator solar and wind are like vegan multivitamins, purely supplemental.

I’m a few seconds south of the 45th…

works great having on my roof. Make plenty for my house and transportation needs.  I got 48 slaves on my roof that work for me for free from sun up to sun down.

0C139B7D-8E1C-4CB0-BA19-0526552D4E82.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I’m a few seconds south of the 45th…

works great having on my roof. Make plenty for my house and transportation needs.  I got 48 slaves on my roof that work for me for free from sun up to sun down.

0C139B7D-8E1C-4CB0-BA19-0526552D4E82.png

I totally get it for some, but in northern climates it's a supplement to fossil fuels.  My dad helped design and was the lead architect of one of the first solar envelope homes in our area in the late 70s, the radiant heat system did the bulk of the heating the majority of the year.  It was ultimately a design study failure here, but the two similar homes built in Alabama and New Mexico worked great, but they had the opposite issue and got too hot and the solar couldn't keep up to the AC.   IDK what ever happened to the fourth in ground home in South Dakota.  

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I totally get it for some, but in northern climates it's a supplement to fossil fuels.  My dad helped design and was the lead architect of one of the first solar envelope homes in our area in the late 70s, the radiant heat system did the bulk of the heating the majority of the year.  It was ultimately a design study failure here, but the two similar homes built in Alabama and New Mexico worked great, but they had the opposite issue and got too hot and the solar couldn't keep up to the AC.   IDK what ever happened to the fourth in ground home in South Dakota.  

Every where I look at solar irradiance solar works financially for me pretty much in all the lower 48 states.

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

Be a lot more reliable and productive if they build a nuke plant or natural gas generator plant.

Nope 

Nuclear is also much more expensive, the WNISR report said. The cost of generating solar power ranges from $36 to $44 per megawatt hour (MWh), the WNISR said, while onshore wind power comes in at $29–$56 per MWh. Nuclear energy costs between $112 and $189.

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Nope 

Nuclear is also much more expensive, the WNISR report said. The cost of generating solar power ranges from $36 to $44 per megawatt hour (MWh), the WNISR said, while onshore wind power comes in at $29–$56 per MWh. Nuclear energy costs between $112 and $189.

How much land per mega watt?

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Nope 

Nuclear costs that much because of the regulation and red tape required. Get out of its way and it would destroy all other forms of power generarion